Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook?

Hi,

I have just purchased a new playbook and i am looking for the idiots guide for rooting it. I have read many posts but they are confusing and not clear to me.

I have not booted it yet and have 2.0.0.4869.zip and CFP 3.9.165.rar but what to do next?

Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Ready to setup brand new PB... Is it possible to not accept auto upgrades to latest version?

Please use his method. More people have had success this way.
    Last edited by antiRIM; 11-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Thanked by 3:
    Plastron (09-23-2012),  smweb (09-27-2012),  zma15 (09-23-2012) 
    zma15, smweb and Plastron like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

What are the benefits again?
    CrackBerry User

A good and informative post; but to benefit others, shouldn't this be in the 'PlayBook Rooting' section?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

hi i am up to point 8 and the PB has booted screen now say Installation Successful
    PlayBook OS Update
    Version 2.0.1.358
    swipe left to continue is that correct do i need to run this update?

OK i am now on 2.0.1.358 what can i do please
    Last edited by Plastron; 09-23-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Just a quick question if you root the playbook can you unroot it at any point after that?? Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Plastron View Post
    hi i am up to point 8 and the PB has booted screen now say Installation Successful
    PlayBook OS Update
    Version 2.0.1.358
    swipe left to continue is that correct do i need to run this update?

OK i am now on 2.0.1.358 what can i do please
    If you booted OS 2.0.1.358 then you can't root. You have to type in command "resetqnxosregion" as soon as 2.0.1.358 is downloaded and says "restarting in 10 seconds". If you don't the PB will boot into a unrootable state. The command will reset you to 1.0 and will not boot up as 2.0.1.358 so you can root.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, so can you clarify?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zma15 View Post
    Just a quick question if you root the playbook can you unroot it at any point after that?? Thanks
    Yes, just do a security wipe.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

The benefits to rooting are kind of based upon your level of understanding what your doing. For example, you can easily install themes and Android Market with third party software (dingleberry), but for things like overclocking the processor and usb otg, there is no tool made for it so you have to dig around and find out yourself. There are overall unlimited #'s of things you can do with root if you know what your doing.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    The benefits to rooting are kind of based upon your level of understanding what your doing. For example, you can easily install themes and Android Market with third party software (dingleberry), but for things like overclocking the processor and usb otg, there is no tool made for it so you have to dig around and find out yourself. There are overall unlimited #'s of things you can do with root if you know what your doing.
    And the level of your understanding is basically nil --- you talk big about things like overclocking the Playbook, yet you just admitted that you have zero clue on how to do it yourself.

BB playbook rooting
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    And the level of your understanding is basically nil --- you talk big about things like overclocking the Playbook, yet you just admitted that you have zero clue on how to do it yourself.

BB playbook rooting
    I'm sorry for trying to help people...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

antiRIM
    Thanks for trying to help but looks like i went wrong somewhere then as is followed the list and it appeard to connect to the BB but maybe the timing was wrong.
    I guess i need to wait and see for a new hack.
    This scene does not appear as active as the Apple hacking one so fingers crossed someont is working on it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Does this really work? Ive tried to do this THREE times and every time it loads up my OS Version number says 2.0.1.358. I followed the directions exactly as they were written.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by lokoalex View Post
    Does this really work? Ive tried to do this THREE times and every time it loads up my OS Version number says 2.0.1.358. I followed the directions exactly as they were written.
    Well, it was never going to work the 2nd or 3rd time, you only have one chance. If the PlayBook has ever been turned on, it will not work (unless it is still on a rootable OS i.e. 2.0.0.4869 or below). This is only for brand new PBs.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    antiRIM likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Well, it was never going to work the 2nd or 3rd time, you only have one chance. If the PlayBook has ever been turned on, it will not work (unless it is still on a rootable OS i.e. 2.0.0.4869 or below). This is only for brand new PBs.
    Does that mean that rooting is impossible at this point?
    CrackBerry Master

Does that mean that rooting is impossible at this point?
    Essentially, yes. There are reports from some people that they have managed to corrupt the NVRAM on their PB, allowing them to downgrade back to 2.0.0.4869, but there is no definite public method, and obviously seeing as it involves purposeful corruption, it's quite risky (i.e. a chance PB could be completely destroyed, and I mean completely; a backup won't save you if you mess up NVRAM in the wrong way)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Funny thing now my Playbook says its version 2.0.1.358 but BB DM sees it as version 1.0.0.0 and keeps trying to tell me to upgrade to the latest software version. I also tried Dingleberry and it tells me that I have successfully gained root access to my Playbook. But when I try to SSH Dingle it tells me that Jailbreak was unsuccessful. I can WinSCP all the way to the root of the device but I cant copy anything to it.
    Any suggestions?
    CrackBerry Master

Funny thing now my Playbook says its version 2.0.1.358 but BB DM sees it as version 1.0.0.0 and keeps trying to tell me to upgrade to the latest software version. I also tried Dingleberry and it tells me that I have successfully gained root access to my Playbook. But when I try to SSH Dingle it tells me that Jailbreak was unsuccessful. I can WinSCP all the way to the root of the device but I cant copy anything to it.
    Any suggestions?
    Not really a "suggestion", but all I can say is you have not rooted that device. And can not (now, or in the foreseeable future). Dunno why DM sees it as 1.0.0.0, but it's obviously not (although if you want, you could run the command "cfp flashinfo", and see what that tells you the version is. But you've already tried installing .4869 I believe, so it doesn't really matter). Maybe if you click update in DM, it'll fix the problem?

As for getting the "root successful" message, I have heard reports of that happening when the root has not been successful (on newer, non-rootable OS versions, like the one you're on). It's not particularly remarkable, it's just an odd quirk I'm afraid.

As it stands, you won't be able to root your PB unless someone comes up with either a new exploit for rooting (unlikely due to some changes in the way the OS works) or else a fail safe (or acceptable risk level) method for downgrading the OS to .4869. Neither look particularly likely right now, I'm afraid.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Please edit your first post and warn ppl about this, you MUST do it during the 10 second countdown (or try running the command afterwards before it boots up, incase they miss it).

Emphaize there is only 1 CHANCE. They must painfully watch the whole update because it will auto reboot. Turn it off if they don't have time to do it then.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook

This doesn't work. I tried rooting my brand new 64gb playbook yesterday, followed the above guide, the playbook downloaded 2.1.0.358 during setup and installed on first boot ever and I inputted the command in cfp during the 10 second reset window and noticed that something installed to 100 percent followed by a 'QNX OS REGION NVRAM is cleared' message or something to that effect. The playbook then reset and started on first boot post setup running 2.0.1.358. I then continued to install firmware 4869 with Dingleberry 3.3.3 which looked on the device like it was installing (meaning that you could see the installation progress on the Playbooks built in LCD screen, then I proceeded to ROOT and Dingleberry said it was successful. When the Playbook rebooted it still shows 2.0.1.358 with an upgrade to the latest firmware notification on the main screen.

I certainly didn't miss any steps and followed instructions perfectly which suggests that downgrading the firmware on a brand new Playbook is no longer possible and that maybe there is something in the 358 firware which RIM pushes to the hardware on first boot preventing the dowgrading and rooting!
    CrackBerry User

Well, what you have to do is let 2.1.0.1032 download first then let it install, so dont type ''cfp rese...'' yet, let the new os be installed, then after you get 100% installed, you get message that in 10 sec pb will restar => this is when you press enter and command executes. Then you start with pb and screen that OS succ. installed 2.0.0.4869. If you do ''cfp restqn...'' stragiht when os is only downloaded and then you reboot it, it will still continue on installing latest os and then reboots again...this is not correct procedure...you hit ''cfp reset...'' when os is also first installed.

And also if you did it like I described, it is better first to load 4869 using cfp and then let pb to setup and download latest os....
    Thanked by:
    WeAreNotAlone (11-16-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by joannesbenedek View Post
    Well, what you have to do is let 2.1.0.1032 download first then let it install, so dont type ''cfp rese...'' yet, let the new os be installed, then after you get 100% installed, you get message that in 10 sec pb will restar => this is when you press enter and command executes. Then you start with pb and screen that OS succ. installed 2.0.0.4869. If you do ''cfp restqn...'' stragiht when os is only downloaded and then you reboot it, it will still continue on installing latest os and then reboots again...this is not correct procedure...you hit ''cfp reset...'' when os is also first installed.

And also if you did it like I described, it is better first to load 4869 using cfp and then let pb to setup and download latest os....
    so is it possible to root 2.1.0.1032?
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook?

it is not possible to root, and probably it will never be possible...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Default Re: Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook?

Guys you have to type in the command once it finishes downloading and says "restarting in 10 seconds". If you screw up this step, well your screwed, heres what happens.

The command is used to "reset" the OS the one you were on rather than the one you just downloaded. This is an extremely crucial point in the process because if you do it wrong, then then PB will load you to on the Official software and you will never undo that. TO BE CLEAR, SIMPLY TURNING ON THE PB WON'T HURT YOUR POSSIBILITY OF ROOT, IT ONLY EFFECTS IT IF YOU COMPLETE THE INITIAL SETUP PROCESS AND LOAD OFFICIAL. Also if you go to settings and it says your OS version is 2.0.0.7971 to Latest you will not downgrade or root your PB. If you need more help, Private Message me as I haven't relooked at this thread until now.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vectorx View Post
    This doesn't work. I tried rooting my brand new 64gb playbook yesterday, followed the above guide, the playbook downloaded 2.1.0.358 during setup and installed on first boot ever and I inputted the command in cfp during the 10 second reset window and noticed that something installed to 100 percent followed by a 'QNX OS REGION NVRAM is cleared' message or something to that effect. The playbook then reset and started on first boot post setup running 2.0.1.358. I then continued to install firmware 4869 with Dingleberry 3.3.3 which looked on the device like it was installing (meaning that you could see the installation progress on the Playbooks built in LCD screen, then I proceeded to ROOT and Dingleberry said it was successful. When the Playbook rebooted it still shows 2.0.1.358 with an upgrade to the latest firmware notification on the main screen.

I certainly didn't miss any steps and followed instructions perfectly which suggests that downgrading the firmware on a brand new Playbook is no longer possible and that maybe there is something in the 358 firware which RIM pushes to the hardware on first boot preventing the dowgrading and rooting!
    I don't know what you did, but the steps shown DO work, as I have done them. Many have also had success with this process. Where did you get your PB? The exact command is "cfp resetqnxosregion" maybe you mispelled it. Really sorry that it didn't work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast