Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default HEY GUYS!!!! Just a quick question and overall opinion

I bought 5 playbooks yesterday because I am sending them to Europe to a few of my cousins. Reason I bought this was because I thought you could have android apps on it but this playbook updated to 2.1. Now from people's opinions is the android market worth it? or is the blackberry app store decent enough to not really worry about the android apps. Why I am asking is if it is Ill just take this one back and get a new one and try to avoid the update and just downgrade it so I can add the android market before I send it over for christmas. Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

You get android apps whether you have root or not, all you will need to do is download DDPB which will sideload the android apps instead of having Android Markets app.

*Keep in mind that while you can get Android apps, only about half of them will work, because the playbooks android player doesn't support native code yet.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    *Keep in mind that while you can get Android apps, only about half of them will work, because the playbooks android player doesn't support native code yet.
    I don't think the PlayBook will ever support native code...................Please prove me wrong!

"People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by kretch View Post
    I don't think the PlayBook will ever support native code...................Please prove me wrong!
    There is no evidence to suggest it will as far as I know, but we can always hope
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zitross View Post
    I bought 5 playbooks yesterday because I am sending them to Europe to a few of my cousins. Reason I bought this was because I thought you could have android apps on it but this playbook updated to 2.1. Now from people's opinions is the android market worth it? or is the blackberry app store decent enough to not really worry about the android apps. Why I am asking is if it is Ill just take this one back and get a new one and try to avoid the update and just downgrade it so I can add the android market before I send it over for christmas. Thanks
    2.1 already installed? What is the production date?
    (There is a label on the end of the box, it's the last line listed.)

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

The Android Player works better on 2.1 anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

As antiRIM noted, anything that isn't available through App World can be sideloaded. To be clear, you do NOT get Android Market through ANY Playbook OS.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

PAK-387793001 is the serial
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Ok so where are there instructions on installing android app player on playbook with 2.1? Because I thought I read that if you upgrade above 2.0 you are out of luck
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

The Android Player is built into the OS, so root isn't a requirement. Just install anything from 2.0.0.7971 to the most up to date software and you will have it .