CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Downgrade messages app only

Is it possible to downgrade the messaging app only. I keep getting the annoying password request on my playbook for my exchange email account. Running OS 2.1.0.560. or has anyone figured out how to fix the password issue?
    CrackBerry Genius

You can downgrade any app individually, yes.
    Here's a list of links to the 2.0.0.358 apps:
    xsacha - Pastebin.com
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.

Global Posts
    10,379 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

You mean 2.0.1.358?
    You wouldn't happen to have the ebf250eca8263c21690f64303d5d9e5c4818f66a for other OSes? An excellent database could be made of all the different OS download links.

I think I have these ones:
    b58e9c0b898deb036f92c89c757be35fda4ee610 - 10.0.6.386
    e7aaa4a0d75a4a4b13f4b5e7f1574a0884dd3785 - 10.0.4.187
    816f59004a523c68c0704783b622a17307e2d692 - 2.1.0.358 Recovery
    0323b9c8a2973d7dbf5fc254f2b48b927a070f2a - 2.1.0.358 upgrade
    CrackBerry Genius

Newer links are on a different server (bbworld or beta instead of production), so I'm not sure of the full address.
    Here are the hashes:

10.0.6.386: d1b8af56c3ba3d6536e1b564692faa9ea903e66b
    10.0.4.197: e7aaa4a0d75a4a4b13f4b5e7f1574a0884dd3785

There's no 187 (187 is the radio), it's 197 as above.

If you could find a full link, that's be great.
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.

Global Posts
    10,379 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Right lol; 187 was a 2am typo.
    CrackBerry Genius

It's interesting that your 10.0.6.386 hash is different though...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
    You can downgrade any app individually, yes.
    Here's a list of links to the 2.0.0.358 apps:
    xsacha - Pastebin.com
    How would we go about downgrading though?
    DDPBinstaller?
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by HybridGT View Post
    How would we go about downgrading though?
    DDPBinstaller?
    Yes, DDPB should do the job. I think you should delete the currently installed version first (again, you can use DDPB for that), then install the new (or rather, old) BAR.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.

Global Posts
    10,379 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Yes, DDPB should do the job. I think you should delete the currently installed version first (again, you can use DDPB for that), then install the new (or rather, old) BAR.
    You can't uninstall sys bars unfortunately (I'd love to remove some system apps). Just run the install with whatever sideloader you use.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    You can't uninstall sys bars unfortunately (I'd love to remove some system apps). Just run the install with whatever sideloader you use.
    Ah OK. I've never tried it myself, I just remember in a previous thread about downgrading a system app someone said you should uninstall the currently installed version first. Guess they were giving bad info.
    CrackBerry Genius

You can uninstall sys bars (with privilege permanent).

Just remove signing, use a debug token on it and remove the permanent in MANIFEST. Install. Then uninstall.

Global Posts
    10,379 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Wait, so you can install modified system apps without a RIM signature using a debug token?
    Isn't that a bit of a security risk?
    CrackBerry Master

Wait, so you can install modified system apps without a RIM signature using a debug token?
    Well someone would have to know your Playbook password & IP address and your PB would have to be in Dev mode to be able to do it, which for me at least, would require them to have physical access to the device (it's never in dev mode unless I'm sideloading apps) and no one who has physical access to my PB would have any idea how to do any of the stuff xsacha mentioned.

EDIT: But xsacha's post is rather interesting, may have to try that sometime to get rid of some of the rubbish I don't use. How would one remove the signing? Is it just a case of removing the signature from the MANIFEST or something?

Global Posts
    10,379 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Well someone would have to know your Playbook password & IP address and your PB would have to be in Dev mode to be able to do it, which for me at least, would require them to have physical access to the device (it's never in dev mode unless I'm sideloading apps) and no one who has physical access to my PB would have any idea how to do any of the stuff xsacha mentioned.

EDIT: But xsacha's post is rather interesting, may have to try that sometime to get rid of some of the rubbish I don't use. How would one remove the signing? Is it just a case of removing the signature from the MANIFEST or something?
    I meant a security risk much like how samba was a security risk... If you can install a .bar with system permissions, can't it access (and change) restricted files?
    CrackBerry Genius

Yes.
    Not a security risk because none of the system privileges work.

To convert:
    Just change developer mode to true, remove the author signature, change the author and author id to the ones from your debug token.

Global Posts
    10,379 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Default Re: Downgrade messages app only

Quote Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
    You can uninstall sys bars (with privilege permanent).

Just remove signing, use a debug token on it and remove the permanent in MANIFEST. Install. Then uninstall.
    I know, long dead thread, but...
    I was trying to do this on the Dev Alpha the other day, and a development mode bar won't install if a production mode bar is already installed (result::failure 550 ApplicationModeMismatchError). So removing system bars with this method won't work, at least on BB10.