Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default do i need to root to sideload?

yes i did search but just want a definite answer please.
    CrackBerry Newbie

No. Rooting allows you to download apps straight from the android marketplace. Sideloading is what you do for unrooted playbooks.
    CrackBerry Addict

If your PlayBook is already on V2.01.*** you can no longer root it anyway. The dingleberry exploit was shut and as you can't downgrade an OS version on PlayBook so....

You can still sideload in the current OS, but RIM has said they plan on removing that soon too, so I'd get a wiggle on if I was you

Si.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    RIM has said they plan on removing that soon too, so I'd get a wiggle on if I was you
    No they haven't. A few months back, something was miscommunicated, which led people to believe sideloading was going to disappear. It has since been clarified this is not the case.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

My playbook came with 2.01xxxx so I was hosed from the start on this, but I sure wish I had root because sideloading is a pain to gather the apps, convert, re-up them.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by o. l. t. View Post
    My playbook came with 2.01xxxx so I was hosed from the start on this, but I sure wish I had root because sideloading is a pain to gather the apps, convert, re-up them.
    PBs don't come with 2.x. They come with 1.0.0.0 and update as soon as you first turn them on, as part of the setup process.

The only time this is not the case is if you bought the PB second hand, and that doesn't count as the PB "coming with" the OS, as the previous owner has updated it.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: do i need to root to sideload?

Downloaded to HCL or ICS right? I can't put it on the BB OS interface whatever I download?
    Quote Originally Posted by deazncy View Post
    No. Rooting allows you to download apps straight from the android marketplace. Sideloading is what you do for unrooted playbooks.
    As noted below, they come with 1.0.0.0 and forced you to update right from the get-go 2.01xxxx.
    I am glad I decided to root then... Sounds like a pain as you've said to do all of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by o. l. t. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    PBs don't come with 2.x. They come with 1.0.0.0 and update as soon as you first turn them on, as part of the setup process.

The only time this is not the case is if you bought the PB second hand, and that doesn't count as the PB "coming with" the OS, as the previous owner has updated it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post

As you seem pretty knowledgeable, and all this RIM stuff is new to me:

What is the process to short circuit the update process during the setup process?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone View Post
    As you seem pretty knowledgeable, and all this RIM stuff is new to me:

What is the process to short circuit the update process during the setup process?
    Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook?

PS: Have "cfp resetqnxosregion" ready before it gives you the 10 second timer
    Thanked by 2:
    SifJar (11-16-2012),  WeAreNotAlone (11-16-2012)