Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. mcdead's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default do i need to root to sideload?

    yes i did search but just want a definite answer please.
  2. deazncy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    No. Rooting allows you to download apps straight from the android marketplace. Sideloading is what you do for unrooted playbooks.
  3. simu31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    571 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    If your PlayBook is already on V2.01.*** you can no longer root it anyway. The dingleberry exploit was shut and as you can't downgrade an OS version on PlayBook so....

    You can still sideload in the current OS, but RIM has said they plan on removing that soon too, so I'd get a wiggle on if I was you

    Si.
  4. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    RIM has said they plan on removing that soon too, so I'd get a wiggle on if I was you
    No they haven't. A few months back, something was miscommunicated, which led people to believe sideloading was going to disappear. It has since been clarified this is not the case.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  5. o. l. t.'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    96 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    My playbook came with 2.01xxxx so I was hosed from the start on this, but I sure wish I had root because sideloading is a pain to gather the apps, convert, re-up them.
  6. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by o. l. t. View Post
    My playbook came with 2.01xxxx so I was hosed from the start on this, but I sure wish I had root because sideloading is a pain to gather the apps, convert, re-up them.
    PBs don't come with 2.x. They come with 1.0.0.0 and update as soon as you first turn them on, as part of the setup process.

    The only time this is not the case is if you bought the PB second hand, and that doesn't count as the PB "coming with" the OS, as the previous owner has updated it.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  7. Triads's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    13 Posts
    #7  

    Default Re: do i need to root to sideload?

    Downloaded to HCL or ICS right? I can't put it on the BB OS interface whatever I download?
    Quote Originally Posted by deazncy View Post
    No. Rooting allows you to download apps straight from the android marketplace. Sideloading is what you do for unrooted playbooks.
    As noted below, they come with 1.0.0.0 and forced you to update right from the get-go 2.01xxxx.
    I am glad I decided to root then... Sounds like a pain as you've said to do all of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by o. l. t. View Post
    My playbook came with 2.01xxxx so I was hosed from the start on this, but I sure wish I had root because sideloading is a pain to gather the apps, convert, re-up them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    PBs don't come with 2.x. They come with 1.0.0.0 and update as soon as you first turn them on, as part of the setup process.

    The only time this is not the case is if you bought the PB second hand, and that doesn't count as the PB "coming with" the OS, as the previous owner has updated it.
  8. WeAreNotAlone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    PBs don't come with 2.x. They come with 1.0.0.0 and update as soon as you first turn them on, as part of the setup process.

    The only time this is not the case is if you bought the PB second hand, and that doesn't count as the PB "coming with" the OS, as the previous owner has updated it.
    As you seem pretty knowledgeable, and all this RIM stuff is new to me:

    What is the process to short circuit the update process during the setup process?
  9. ayekon's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    380 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone View Post
    As you seem pretty knowledgeable, and all this RIM stuff is new to me:

    What is the process to short circuit the update process during the setup process?
    Idiots Guide to rooting a new Playbook?

    PS: Have "cfp resetqnxosregion" ready before it gives you the 10 second timer
    Thanked by 2:
    SifJar (11-16-2012),  WeAreNotAlone (11-16-2012) 

Posting Permissions