Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhostRos View Post
    Yes root does have a potential to do a lot normally as antiRIM said.. But sadly it wasn't around long enough for anyone to exploit its full capabilities on playbook.. Though I don't know if over clocking will be possible. Depends on a lot like how RIM is caping the limit and how the kernel is compiled etc..

I'm pretty sure samab wanted to make a point about some misconceptions people have bout rooting PB:
    Like some people think that you have to root to sideload android apps..
    Some think that RIM is blocking some android apps from working (skype etc.) and that rooting will make them run..

Personally presently IMO more android apps will run and be more stable on a 2.1 rather than a rooted 2.0 (unless you manage to upgrade the android runtime after rooting.. it is a possibility i would guess)

Neway just calm down everyone..
    The problem I have is that --- all we have is a bunch of people who really don't know what they are talking about and talking about the theoretical benefit of rooting the Playbook. Then they use these blind men talking amongst themselves discussions as evidence that there is a lot of theoretical benefit of rooting the Playbook. Especially when the guy who actually wrote the rooting software himself doesn't even speak about these benefits.

Then these same people who really don't know that they are talking about --- pretend to be technical experts and give out technical advices, without warning advice takers that they are like George Clooney that they merely play a medical doctor on a tv show.

It is the pretending and non-warning that I have problems with.

If I give rooting advice --- I would tell them that:
    (1) you can sideload android apps on a non-rooted Playbook
    (2) rooting gives you android market but it doesn't give any extra android apps (i.e. you won't be able to load android versions of skype and instagram)
    (3) rooting gives you the ability to theming
    (4) rooting gives you (somewhat buggy) access to USB host

Then I am going to say that I (as a non-techie) am going to summarize the rooting procedures that are spread out on various threads.
    Thanked by 2:
    peter9477 (11-17-2012),  WeAreNotAlone (11-17-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The problem I have is that --- all we have is a bunch of people who really don't know what they are talking about and talking about the theoretical benefit of rooting the Playbook. Then they use these blind men talking amongst themselves discussions as evidence that there is a lot of theoretical benefit of rooting the Playbook. Especially when the guy who actually wrote the rooting software himself doesn't even speak about these benefits.

Then these same people who really don't know that they are talking about --- pretend to be technical experts and give out technical advices, without warning advice takers that they are like George Clooney that they merely play a medical doctor on a tv show.

It is the pretending and non-warning that I have problems with.

If I give rooting advice --- I would tell them that:
    (1) you can sideload android apps on a non-rooted Playbook
    (2) rooting gives you android market but it doesn't give any extra android apps (i.e. you won't be able to load android versions of skype and instagram)
    (3) rooting gives you the ability to theming
    (4) rooting gives you (somewhat buggy) access to USB host

Then I am going to say that I (as a non-techie) am going to summarize the rooting procedures that are spread out on various threads.

There needs to be a STICKY on all of this.

Pro's ,Con's as you've touched on above... and a walkthru on the procedure itself.

CrackBerry User

This helped me but stuck at end
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by torrado Williams View Post
    This helped me but stuck at end
    Here's the BEST "walk-thru" on rooting a PlayBook I've found on this board.

MODS>>>> Below needs to be a STICKY...

With the influx of new PlayBooks being sold here recently (Due to retailers cleaning out remaining stocks of inventory), "IF" the numbers of "rooted" PlayBooks is to increase, along with the number of potential Xsachas is to increase "Newbies" /persons wanting to "Root" need a STICKY on the rooting procedure.... in a "walk-thru" format.

Q: On the Android boards there are hundreds of Xsachas, Wouldn't it be nice to have more than (1) Xsacha?

(*Xsacha = very familiar with QNX OS.)

My vision of a STICKY.
    List of Pro's and Con's.
    Format = Walk-thru format - (Screenshots would be a plus)
    Skill level written at? = Assume person knows nothing about the various apps used, and only has (1) shot to perform procedure correctly. Additionally, user is not familiar with command line programs.
    List of things to watch out for.
    EG: Expand on what events are happening before the 10 second window in which you have to type 'cfp resetqnxosregion''

"STICKY" is "updated" as new info comes out.
    "STICKY" is reviewed by senior members.
    Root for brand new pb's - Guide how to do it
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 12-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12