Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB playbook rooting

Im thinking of getting a bb playbook.Is it possible to install the android market on the blackberry playbook and install all of its apps even the ones that are not available on the playbook?(like skype)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

pffffff

keep thinking ... and reading this forum

How to jailbreak android market for 2.0.1.358?
    Last edited by Briard; 09-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts

No buy an android if you want android market.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    Thanked by:
    greggggyg (07-29-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Its possible to root if its never been through the initial setup, but you will not get skype or many of the android games. If you will need the rooting steps, just look throughout the root forums.
    CrackBerry Master

You are probably better off getting a reasonably priced 7 inch Android tablet, such as the Nexus 7, the Kindle Fire HD or the updated Kindle Fire (not quite as good as the HD, but cheaper). If you want Android apps, the PB is not the tablet for you.

The main problem with the PB's Android Runtime is that it does not support native code. (Android apps are written in two ways: Java and native code. Some apps are pure Java, others use both. Native code is faster and more powerful, so for more intensive tasks like video decoding and 3D graphics etc., native code is far more commonly utilised). Any app that includes native code (including Skype, Netflix, Instagram and many, many games) will not work (or will not work fully; for example, Skype allows text chat) on the PB.

On top of that, there are other apps that just don't work, or don't work quite right. The Android Runtime is also based on Android 2.3, so any app requiring Honeycomb, ICS or Jelly Bean will not work (whereas if you get a Nexus 7 all apps "should" work [compatibility still isn't 100% due to the diversity of Android], and with a Kindle Fire [HD] everything but JB apps should work).

I would strongly advise the Nexus 7 if you're looking for a device for Android apps, it's quite a nice tablet at a fairly reasonable price.

This isn't to say the PB isn't a great tablet in it's own right, but as a device for running Android apps, it leaves a lot to be desired.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    Thanked by 2:
    Gwystyl (09-26-2012),  WeAreNotAlone (11-16-2012) 
    Magnesus and antiRIM like this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

The only reason i dont want an ipad or android tablet is because i like the bridge blackberry thing :s

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Can you root a brand new Playbook ?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Ready to setup brand new PB... Is it possible to not accept auto upgrades to latest version?

WARNING: DO NOT USE METHOD BELOW, INSTEAD USE THE LINK ABOVE

People were having trouble trying to get my method shown below to work, so instead please use the #2 post in the link.

================================================== ================================================== ==================================================
    Yes it is possible to root a BRAND NEW playbook.

Steps are as follows.

1. Buy a playbook.
    2. Download cfp.exe here Download links for cfpv3.9.0.165.rar - Mirrorcreator - Upload files to multiple hosts
    3. Unzip the file and install cfp.exe on your DESKTOP <-- Important
    4. Open search and type in "cmd.exe" cmd is the computers command prompt.
    5. Once it cmd.exe opens type in "cd desktop"
    6. Then type cfp.exe
    7. Turn on the playbook and go through the setup process with PB connected via usb to computer.
    8. Your playbook will have to update to finish ****IT'S OK**** AS SOON AS THE UPDATE IS DOWNLOADED IT WILL SAY " restarting in 10 seconds" this is when you need to type into cfp "cfp resetqnxosregion".
    9. Once PB boots, you should be running OS 1.0, so you will want to use dingleberry to load OS 2.0.0.4869.
    10. Find a link and download.
    11. Place in dingleberry download folder.
    12. Install.
    13. Use dingleberry to root.
    14. ENJOY
    Last edited by antiRIM; 11-16-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Thanked by 4:
    Bilaal (12-22-2012),  Gwystyl (09-26-2012),  nofiz (09-22-2012),  WeAreNotAlone (11-17-2012) 
    Bilaal likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    Yes it is possible to root a BRAND NEW playbook.

Steps are as follows.

1. Buy a playbook.
    2. Download cfp.exe here Download links for cfpv3.9.0.165.rar - Mirrorcreator - Upload files to multiple hosts
    3. Unzip the file and install cfp.exe on your DESKTOP <-- Important
    4. Open search and type in "cmd.exe" cmd is the computers command prompt.
    5. Once it cmd.exe opens type in "cd desktop"
    6. Then type cfp.exe
    7. Turn on the playbook and go through the setup process with PB connected via usb to computer.
    8. Your playbook will have to update to finish ****IT'S OK**** AS SOON AS THE UPDATE IS DOWNLOADED IT WILL SAY " restarting in 10 seconds" this is when you need to type into cfp "cfp resetqnxosregion".
    9. Once PB boots, you should be running OS 1.0, so you will want to use dingleberry to load OS 2.0.0.4869.
    10. Find a link and download.
    11. Place in dingleberry download folder.
    12. Install.
    13. Use dingleberry to root.
    14. ENJOY
    Thank you antirim i will try it againg thanks
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haskhim58 View Post
    Thank you antirim i will try it againg thanks
    Mind you that even if you manage to root your Playbook, it doesn't do what the OP ask for --- which is getting to run the android version of skype on the Playbook.

Rooting the Playbook doesn't do much, period. You can do theming and have a buggy USB host port --- that's basically it.
    Thanked by:
    nofiz (09-22-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Mind you that even if you manage to root your Playbook, it doesn't do what the OP ask for --- which is getting to run the android version of skype on the Playbook.

Rooting the Playbook doesn't do much, period. You can do theming and have a buggy USB host port --- that's basically it.
    I'm not even going to bore you with how many things you can do with root.
    As long as you know what your doing you can basically change/mod anything you want. Like I would overclock the processor or underclock to save battery as an example. There's just an unlimited # of possibilities. Just look at IOS and Cydia.
    Thanked by:
    charlesb44 (01-01-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default need the links.

Still can't download or find those links you need can somebody help?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

I'm not even going to bore you with how many things you can do with root. As long as you know what your doing you can basically change/mod anything you want. Like I would overclock the processor or underclock to save battery as an example. There's just an unlimited # of possibilities. Just look at IOS and Cydia.
    How do you overclock the Playbook? Zero mention in the forum.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Not a clue, but I know its possible.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

So you are just talking trash.

Name all the things that you actually is capable of doing with a rooted Playbook --- not very much.

If you don't know what you are doing yourself, then don't pretend you know what you are doing and give advice that you shouldn't even try.
    Last edited by samab; 09-23-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    So you are just talking trash.

Name all the things that you actually is capable of doing with a rooted Playbook --- not very much.

If you don't know what you are doing yourself, then don't pretend you know what you are doing and give advice that you shouldn't even try.
    What's your problem? This is the third time you've put me under fire TODAY... I'm trying to help people, I am no genious and I don't try to hide that either. If I don't know something then I will tell you that. People have posted many times the benefits of rooting, I'm not going to go through a billion old threads to round up all the possibilites of root just to prove a point. I said "As long as you know what your doing", never did I say that I did. So do you have a point to make?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

What's your problem?

I wrote a very neutral and informative post --- that got a thankyou from Haskhim58.

Then you come in and draw first blood --- and try to sound like a big shot by saying you are not going to bore me this and that.

"As long as you know what you're doing?" You sound like people giving medical advice on the internet. You are relying on "possibilities" from outdated information. You might as well talk about the healing power of medieval medical practices of mercury, bloodletting and arsenic.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

I guess my point was that it is getting kinda old hearing people say "root doesn't do much". It gets irritating (no offense) when people constantly (not just you) go in the root forums and say something like (why do people root? It doesn't even do anything).

But off topic its also kinda rude when someone specifically tries to call you at on something, like did you really need to add a link to my post where I simply said I didn't know how to overclock it? I was just making a point relative to the situation. I tried to say that I didn't know how to with keywords like "if someone". Possibly better to continue discussion via pm...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

The only thing that gets old is unqualified people giving uninformed advices to fellow crackberry members.

What does rooting the Playbook actually do? List the actual things, not some outdated possibilities. The only guy who knows what he is doing --- Xsacha --- doesn't even claim much of what you claim.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

I'm not even going to bore you with how many things you can do with root.
    As long as you know what your doing you can basically change/mod anything you want. Like I would overclock the processor or underclock to save battery as an example. There's just an unlimited # of possibilities. Just look at IOS and Cydia.
    I could have worded it better if that would help clear things up? So let me rephrase:

There are numerous things you can do once you've rooted a PB.

As long as you know how to/what you are doing you can change or modify just about anything. If I knew how to, I would overclock the processor so it would run faster, unfortunetly I don't. But yea as long as you have root you can infinitely customize your device. I would look at how far Cydia has come since initial launch.

Hopefully that helps.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The score AntiRIM 1 Samba 0.
    mkaa00x likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

Yes root does have a potential to do a lot normally as antiRIM said.. But sadly it wasn't around long enough for anyone to exploit its full capabilities on playbook.. Though I don't know if over clocking will be possible. Depends on a lot like how RIM is caping the limit and how the kernel is compiled etc..

I'm pretty sure samab wanted to make a point about some misconceptions people have bout rooting PB:
    Like some people think that you have to root to sideload android apps..
    Some think that RIM is blocking some android apps from working (skype etc.) and that rooting will make them run..

Personally presently IMO more android apps will run and be more stable on a 2.1 rather than a rooted 2.0 (unless you manage to upgrade the android runtime after rooting.. it is a possibility i would guess)

Neway just calm down everyone..
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhostRos View Post
    Personally presently IMO more android apps will run and be more stable on a 2.1 rather than a rooted 2.0 (unless you manage to upgrade the android runtime after rooting.. it is a possibility i would guess)
    AFAIK, the Android runtime is simply a BAR that needs to be sideloaded to update it. Root isn't even necessary. Some features (e.g. running each app in a seperate window) are probably OS features, but enhanced stability etc. should be achieved simply by updating the runtime.

And of course, once someone achieves root, they can (if they possess the know how, or persuade someone who does have the know how to help) update to a custom version of 2.1, keeping root and gaining all the official extra features too.

So in my opinion: rooted 2.1 > stock 2.1 > rooted 2.0 (> anything less than 2.0). For some people, root is important (people who value USB OTG highly, for example), so for them rooted 2.0 would probably be above stock 2.1
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    AFAIK, the Android runtime is simply a BAR that needs to be sideloaded to update it. Root isn't even necessary. Some features (e.g. running each app in a seperate window) are probably OS features, but enhanced stability etc. should be achieved simply by updating the runtime.
    Yeah that's why I said it might be possible.. Though then again depends on how closely it relies on the system libraries too I guess.. I remember that I updated to a version which broke ireader (well I needed it quite a bit) so rather than revert back I decided to install the .bar from older version.. Well then the app did work but sadly none of the android apps caught any touch events..
    *shrugs* though anything is possible right?

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    And of course, once someone achieves root, they can (if they possess the know how, or persuade someone who does have the know how to help) update to a custom version of 2.1, keeping root and gaining all the official extra features too.
    Yeah I think that was what the DingleBerry team had in mind when they wanted beta testers last time.. Don't remebr the version numbers
    CrackBerry User

Well I have rooted pb and I am making custom version of 358. Actually I have it but Im stuck on getting it to boot. Need correct scripts...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast