Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default ADWLauncher doesn't start...

Finally Ive rooted my Playbook, using this tutorial, sideloaded ADWLauncher all normal, restarted the tablet but the launcher doesnt start, stays on "initializing, please wait", then goes back to the usual playbook screen. Im running on the 4869 version. Any suggestions? Should I reinstall it, is there another launcher I could try? I'd appreciate your help.
    Last edited by LSFC14; 12-31-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Global Posts
    10,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

SSH in and delete everything in data/data (youll lose all your android app data), delete adw, reboot, and reinstall.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    SSH in and delete everything in data/data (youll lose all your android app data), delete adw, reboot, and reinstall.
    Tried and the data/data folder was already empty.

So close
    You used to be alright. What happened?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

I'm having exactly the same problem! I figured I'd root tonight, got all the way through and tried 3 different launchers. None worked. I'm starting all over at 1.8 and going to try again. To save you some steps, I've read that people are only having luck getting the market to show up with Launcher Pro or Honeycomb launcher. Better safe than sorry.

I also read that the launcher needs to be installed (and the ONLY thing installed) before rooting.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry User

hey guys if you have downgraded than performed jailbreak the launcher is not going to work. now to make it work just connect you playbook to your pc via usb launch DM than upgrade to 2.0.0.6149, you playbook will still be root. now install adw and it should work fine
    CrackBerry User

hmm.. is that right?
    I thought once rooted you could only do OTA updates on the device.

I went back to 4869, then OTA to 6149 and it's still rooted.

I can get the launchers running fine but the market hangs when I open it.
    CrackBerry User

@andyz4m how did you get the OTA for 6149?
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have the same problem. All Android apps won't run at all, just hangs at "initialize. pleas wait..." and after a few minutes quite. I tried many Launchers but not all, but including Honeycomb.

I rolled back to 1.08 and started from scratched, 3 whole times. Same result. Only minor inconsistency on my work, is that earlier times I did the .sh thing before I installed the Launcher.bar. NOt sure if that maks any diff.

I also tried 2 separate sets of Google apps.

Cannot think of anything more. Rooting works well so far for me, and everything else also except being able to run Android player from any Android launcher or app (like Astro.bar).
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    I tried that, man, didnt work! Then I thought it might be the android player (when I first downgraded from 6149 to 4869, I also downgraded the sys.android with the one for 4869, which is a smaller file). So I decided to do security wipe, then upgraded to 6149, downgraded back but without touching the sys.android this time, rerooted, and installed the system apps only + launcher, but didnt work as well. All other steps seem to be fine, I also tried video, and got through all the steps without problems (they dont say on the video that data files have to be installed, only system) with the exception of a "WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!" message, but I doubt that is important for the Android launcher to start working.

I cant think of anything, because if android player is not the problem, then I dont know what is. I have root, everything seems to be working fine, but the launcher...

P.s. I just found the beta Android player (on this website) from July, which is 143.28 Mb while the sys.android.bar coming with 4869 is only 40.5 Mb, and the one for 6149 - 42.1 Mb. If I push this bar will it work on 4869, and will it make the launcher work as well? In /apps/sys.android.somecrazystuff.ns/native/system/app I found a bunch of Android apps, if I push the launcher there and put the right permissions would it do the job? Speaking of permissions, could my launcher problem have been a permission issue, and if so how do I change permissions and whats the right setup for the launcher? Also, if I have to replace the sys.android.bar, is there a way to do it without all the upgrade-downgrade stuff? Thanks

P.s.2 Just realized my browser doesnt work as well. Could the problem be with some settings? Im shooting in the dark
    Last edited by LSFC14; 01-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Same issue for me, honeycomb launcher, any other launcher or app does nothing when I tap it on my PB. Sideloading them is succesful, they just don't launch. I'm just going to hang tight in case someone comes up with a resolution. While updating to the latest software won't break the root, it will break the android market for users who have never used the market on their pb's before.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    PIN
    2810b6c6

im having the same problem. i successfuly rooted in .4869 launchers dont work, my browser doesnt work. i installed a converted bar app that worked when i had .6149 and that doesnt work either. anyone have any suggestions?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by andyz4m View Post
    hmm.. is that right?
    I thought once rooted you could only do OTA updates on the device.

I went back to 4869, then OTA to 6149 and it's still rooted.

I can get the launchers running fine but the market hangs when I open it.
    +1 same here, i rooted and everything was running on 4869 but then 6149 and when i load the android launcher and hangs almost 90% of the time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    PIN
    2810b6c6

hey i used a method someone here used to get their browser back to work after they rooted and it didnt work. he said he sideloaded the sys.browser.bar from the os files had saved and it brought his browser back. so i did the same thing with the sys.android.bar and that got the adw launcher working. although i didnt see the market i did see the android os and mail clients. im gonna copy the apps again in winscp and see how it goes. wish me luck.

*edit as having little to no knowledge about the android operating system i didnt see that there was a button with 4 squares on it that brngs all the apps together. for some reason they are expanded off the screen and once this button is pressed all the apps come to the screen together including the market. hope this helps.
    Last edited by JOSTNYC; 01-02-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by steeZ03 View Post
    +1 same here, i rooted and everything was running on 4869 but then 6149 and when i load the android launcher and hangs almost 90% of the time.
    try installing sys.andriod.bar with the installer seemed to fix my problem
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by JOSTNYC View Post
    hey i used a method someone here used to get their browser back to work after they rooted and it didnt work. he said he sideloaded the sys.browser.bar from the os files had saved and it brought his browser back. so i did the same thing with the sys.android.bar and that got the adw launcher working. although i didnt see the market i did see the android os and mail clients. im gonna copy the apps again in winscp and see how it goes. wish me luck.

*edit as having little to no knowledge about the android operating system i didnt see that there was a button with 4 squares on it that brngs all the apps together. for some reason they are expanded off the screen and once this button is pressed all the apps come to the screen together including the market. hope this helps.
    Did you sideloaded sys.android.bar on top on the existing one, or you deleted it first? Also, do you know what folder contains this bar, Ive been looking for it in the System files, but coudnt find it.

The 4 squares button is just a button that opens the drawer with the apps, its a part of the launcher...

P.s. I also have PB-Installer.bat and a program called DDPBInstaller, does it matter which one to use when sideloading the android player?
    Last edited by LSFC14; 01-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    PIN
    2810b6c6

yes i did sideload it on top of the existing one. i found the bar file when i downloaded a rar file of the os. someone put a link to it in one of these posts.
    CrackBerry Newbie

This is happening because you guys are on 6149 then downgrading to 4869. Start at 1.08.6067 then go to 2.0.0.4869 and it will work fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    PIN
    2810b6c6

i did downgrade to .6067 then upgraded to .4869 and it still happened. heres the link to .4869 files http://tinyurl.com/cy364dy
    Thanked by 3:
    laserjeff (01-17-2012),  MwFx (01-02-2012),  Tony2255 (01-02-2012) 
    Tony2255 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    836 Global Posts

I started on 1.08.6067 then went to 2.0.0.4869 and it still does not work. hangs on initialization. I will try this bar file now and see if it fixes my problem.
    CrackBerry User

Had the same issue.

The problem is, that when we are downgrading system, the only file that we are replacing is the core system file. All other bars (android player too) are from 6149 and there is a lot of incompatibilities in hybrid system installed that way.

Therefore after gaining root you should do on-the-air update to 6149. This fixes compatibility issues and android player will work again.

Let me know whether that helped.

After upgrate I have another problems anyway - the first one is that I can't login using WinSCP so every file I want to change I have to upload to some normal directory first and then move using shell as root - which is annoying.

The other problem is that I still didn't manage to get android market running. It's so good I have a lot of free time those days...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    836 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JOSTNYC View Post
    i did downgrade to .6067 then upgraded to .4869 and it still happened. heres the link to .4869 files http://tinyurl.com/cy364dy
    THANK YOU!!!!! I Have been playing for almost 24 hours. I would have been done 23 hrs ago if I would have known this. thank you....it all works great now!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    PIN
    2810b6c6

youre welcome. glad i can help. im afraid to upgrade to .6149 so as not to lose the market. but i am considering it because i think as stwor mentioned just replacing the core file is messing with it. im gonna play with it for a while and think about upgrading.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hey, guys.

I decided to root my Playbook. Came across this thread with the same problems of Android Player hanging after downgrading from .6149.

I used the files JOSTNYC posted, primarily the sys.android.bar file. Used that to load it onto my playbook using DDPB.

Afterwards, I went into WinSCP and ran "launch-android.sh" in the scripts folder for the android app.

Then, I went and repeated the steps from the rooting guide to get the market place on it. Android Market still works.
    Thanked by 2:
    laserjeff (01-17-2012),  s1xty9 (01-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    PIN
    2810b6c6

Quote Originally Posted by MwFx View Post
    Hey, guys.

I decided to root my Playbook. Came across this thread with the same problems of Android Player hanging after downgrading from .6149.

I used the files JOSTNYC posted, primarily the sys.android.bar file. Used that to load it onto my playbook using DDPB.

Afterwards, I went into WinSCP and ran "launch-android.sh" in the scripts folder for the android app.

Then, I went and repeated the steps from the rooting guide to get the market place on it. Android Market still works.
    did you upgrade to.6149?
    CrackBerry Newbie

I was stuck on .6149, downgraded and .4869.

I did the rooting process and found out that the Android launcher would hang. Then I used the sys.android.bar file you posted as well as the browser bar to get them working again on .4869.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast