Has anyone got Zinio to work via the BB Bridge? It only seems to work over Wifi. Another app that does not work over the bridge for reasons I do not understand.

Michael Grant
    03-25-12 08:00 PM
    No! They need to fix this! The full website works with bridge, not sure if you can access your subscriptions. Just ordered my first magazine,I haven't tried it out using the bridge yet.
    03-25-12 08:10 PM
    Bridge only allows internet access through your browser. Other programs, including AppWorld will not have internet access.

You need Tethering OR making your phone as a WIFI hotspot and then connect your PB to your phone.

- Charles
    03-25-12 09:06 PM
    How do you make your phone a wifi Hotspot? I have no intention of paying for tethering and I am becoming aware of the limitations of the bridge.

I always assumed the bridge lets the Playbook use the Internet directly, like a dedicated, secure Hotspot using bluetooth rather than wifi, that all the server app sees is the BlackBerry phone (a Bold 9900 in my case). But a few of my favorite apps don't work over the bridge (but work over wifi) and I still haven't seen a good explanation why. It has caused me to abandon one app and I have to use the browser for another. The bridge is my favorite PlayBook feature, but I am beginning to feel that it has been oversold. Could this be why RIM is bringing out 4G LTE models? You'd think that the bridge would make them unnecessary.

Michael Grant
    03-25-12 10:05 PM
    If they can make bridge work for Facebook, Nobex radio and others....they can make zinio and bridge work also.
    03-25-12 10:39 PM
    I have Nobex and it doesn't run via the Bridge
    03-25-12 10:48 PM
    You pay for tethering, no.way around it if you want a wifi hotspot. If you want free, technology in 2012 is probably the wrong place to be looking. If you have the latest OS7 phones and operating systems, they provide the wifi hotspot option...if you have tethering. 3G wifi hotspot is not particularly fast, but works for me for things other than video streaming.
    03-25-12 11:01 PM
    I just re-installed Nobex and it now works!!! I am 30% happier
    It's not that I'm unhappy with the Bridge it works in 99% of situations, I really just would like to know why Zinio for instance would not want me using my PB in more locations...and buying more magazine subscriptions. Slacker lost me as a paying customer as well.
    03-25-12 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD