I know that Netflix and Skype, and the Kindle app dont exist for the Playbook.

Kindle: Amazon is being stupid and wants to promote the Fire and whatnot.
    Netflix: ?

Are the last 2, lazy or simply blind to the PB's userbase count? I don't see why unless it was someone pulling their strings, or did they say they weren't going to do it outright simply because they dont find it worth the wieght, or are they providing nonsense excuses like "PB is incapable" or "RIM isn't keen on working it out with us" (yes it possible, Sony also works in a similar laid back nature when it comes to promoting developers and whatnot, if they're not first party).
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-09-12 07:14 PM
    Hmm,

Netflix made the mistake of using silverlight, so its really hard to port. They think the port would cost more than the potential sales, so they said no. Inversely this resulted in PlayOn getting a sales boost.

Skype will appear I think they are just having a slow time.

Ed
    The_Kills likes this.
    01-09-12 07:27 PM
    skype said it has no plans to release their app for the playbook as the user base is not as large as ios or android
    and amazon wants to promote the kindle fire
    The_Kills likes this.
    01-09-12 08:08 PM
    Are the last 2, lazy or simply blind to the PB's userbase count?
    Even with all the recent sales it's pretty unlikely RIM has sold over a million PBs. Compared to the tens/hundreds of millions of users there are on iOS/Android (remember, phone and tablets are supported) the PB userbase is pretty small. Once we get BB10 phones this may change however. Then the QNX platform will power many millions of devices (RIM still sells 40 million+ phones per year).
    KermEd and The_Kills like this.
    01-09-12 08:15 PM
    Why, because there is no point in developing for a platform when there is a known huge update in the works, especially when this update potentially makes it massivly easier to port your app.

And as far as Amazon goes its the same boat. Dont forget they are loosing money on every Fire just to sell more stuff through their services. They would much prefer that another manufacture provide the hardware and save them from the loss.
    The_Kills likes this.
    01-09-12 08:40 PM
    Well, in terms of Skype, I am sure, that almost all of us here have the Skype accounts. We use it on laptops, ipods, ipads, etc. So what I am saying is that we are all Skype users eventhough we are the PB users as well. So Skype has us as its users already, what's the point of issuing the PB version for them?
    01-09-12 08:52 PM
    Why, because there is no point in developing for a platform when there is a known huge update in the works, especially when this update potentially makes it massivly easier to port your app.

And as far as Amazon goes its the same boat. Dont forget they are loosing money on every Fire just to sell more stuff through their services. They would much prefer that another manufacture provide the hardware and save them from the loss.
    well then if they are simply waiting for the 2.0 update then i can fully understand why these apps are not out yet
    01-10-12 12:27 AM
    Skype was purchased by Microsoft in 2011. It is possible that they have shifted their focus from other platforms to Windows 8. Or perhaps they were holding off developing for new platforms until their post-takeover roadmap was clear.
    01-10-12 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD