Hi!
    I could not find a thread on this, though I am sure I read that question some other place.

I am afraid I already know the answer. But asking you guys certainly won't hurt. So here I go: what happens to bought PBOS2 apps after BB10 is released on the playbook? I understand that it might be way more than 6 months until it is released for the tablet, but I guess they're all lost then, right?
    Is there maybe a slight chance that "old" pb-apps might be compatible with bb10?
    Also I bet app devs have no chance of offering bb10 versions of their apps as "free updates"!?

Makes me think twice about buying apps right now...

-pac
    12-17-12 05:44 PM
    Actually rim said that if the dev didn't port their pb apps over to bb10 they would do if for them
    12-17-12 06:08 PM
    I'm with the OP...

What will we do with purchased OS2.0 apps once PB is updated to BB10? Will we be stuck with the choice of paying for the upgraded versions of these apps or staying on OS2.0?

Maybe 2.0 apps will be treated as non native sideloadable apps????
    12-17-12 07:42 PM
    From what I understand PlayBook apps already work with BlackBerry10. There are apps I paid for on my phone and received the PlayBook version free as it was already paid for. No upgrade fee. This shouldn't change with BlackBerry10. I wouldn't worry.
    12-17-12 08:17 PM
    It's up to the developer to decide if they want to charge for updates.

For the most part, PBOS may run without modification, so there may not be a need for the app to be updated. If the app works on BB10, they may just have to add the BB10 PlayBook version to the supported list.
    12-17-12 08:40 PM
    From what I understand PlayBook apps already work with BlackBerry10. There are apps I paid for on my phone and received the PlayBook version free as it was already paid for. No upgrade fee. This shouldn't change with BlackBerry10. I wouldn't worry.
    I don't think the developer portal has the ability to do this. Did you get the free playbook version directly from the developer?
    12-17-12 08:44 PM
    I don't think the developer portal has the ability to do this. Did you get the free playbook version directly from the developer?
    Yes, the developer portal has this ability. The developer can specify which device a specific version is made for (BBOS/QNX) and make a version for both. That way, when you transition from one platform to the other, it will show up automatically in your BlackBerry World uninstalled list.

The developer can also choose to charge for an upgrade if they want, although I don't know how that works when changing from one platform to another.

Personally, if I were not charging for the platform change, I'd keep them combined and just have different version numbers for each platform. If I were going to charge, I'd set up the BB10 version as its own product and keep it separate from the BBOS version.
    12-18-12 09:20 AM
    Hi!
    I could not find a thread on this, though I am sure I read that question some other place.

I am afraid I already know the answer. But asking you guys certainly won't hurt. So here I go: what happens to bought PBOS2 apps after BB10 is released on the playbook? I understand that it might be way more than 6 months until it is released for the tablet, but I guess they're all lost then, right?
    Is there maybe a slight chance that "old" pb-apps might be compatible with bb10?
    Also I bet app devs have no chance of offering bb10 versions of their apps as "free updates"!?

Makes me think twice about buying apps right now...

-pac
    I wish I knew where I have read this, RIM did say they are porting top apps over themselves from PB OS, so I'm going to guess that several hundred apps will not work with BB10, however the major apps will work, which would make sense for RIM. So going with that I suppose the top lets say 60 games and apps from PB OS will be converted to work under BB10, sometime down the road if not at launch.
    12-18-12 09:44 AM
    Yes, the developer portal has this ability. The developer can specify which device a specific version is made for (BBOS/QNX) and make a version for both. That way, when you transition from one platform to the other, it will show up automatically in your BlackBerry World uninstalled list.

The developer can also choose to charge for an upgrade if they want, although I don't know how that works when changing from one platform to another.

Personally, if I were not charging for the platform change, I'd keep them combined and just have different version numbers for each platform. If I were going to charge, I'd set up the BB10 version as its own product and keep it separate from the BBOS version.
    Interesting. I guess things have changed a bit in app world, that option never used to be there. I do remember the option to charge for updates though.
    12-18-12 10:04 AM
    I guess all OS2 apps would automatically work on BB10...
    12-18-12 11:09 AM
    I think that part of the value proposition made to devs for Playbook was that their app would work on BB10. If you think of it from a devs perspective, thats the real attraction of building a pb app, that it will also sell in the massively larger BB10 market.

Maybe, some of the devs could comment.
    12-19-12 04:42 AM
    that it will also sell in the massively larger BB10 market.
    Massively larger BB10 market??? I think that the transition is a chance, yes, but maybe some devs are actually turned away by the OS transition rather than drawn towards BlackBerry. Also, who knows when BB10 comes to PlayBook. Might be half a year later.
    -pac
    12-19-12 04:54 AM
    Kinda holding out hope anew BB10 tablet comes out

just a dream though
    06-26-13 02:18 PM