I made this app for myself, and figured I might as well put it out there for other people who want to develop using WebWorks apps.

All this app does is run the .html code for your WebWorks apps off of the Playbook internal memory.
    Here's the description from App World:

READ THIS OR THIS APP WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU!
    THIS APP IS INTENDED FOR PLAYBOOK DEVELOPERS WHO DEVELOP USING WEBWORKS!

In order for this app to work, you MUST create a folder called "Testing" (spelled exactly like that, with a capital T) in the misc folder of your PlayBook internal storage. The .html source code for your app is then placed into the Testing folder; the main .html document MUST be named "index.html" or it will NOT work! Not all webworks functions will necessarily work using this app, because not all permissions are enabled.
    I made this app because I wanted to use it myself for beta testing my WebWorks apps - mostly to make sure the UI was fluid.

I just submitted it to App World, but if any devs want to sideload and use it before it's approved for distribution, you can get it from http://scrapps.tk/blackberry/apps/pl...rksTesting.bar

Some pics:

The source for this app is attached to this post, if you'd like to modify it to point to your own personal server just open the config.xml and change file:///accounts/1000/shared/misc/Testing/index.html to your web location/IP Address. You could also point the url to a dropbox url (which would look something like http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9610464/TestBB/index.html - make sure you include the html document name if you use dropbox!).

I guess this is released under a GPL license (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt) - there's no reason for me to release it at all if people can't modify and redistribute it, but please don't try to sell it (it's so simple that there's absolutely no justification for selling it).
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 04-06-12 at 10:30 AM.
    KermEd, Ninjatogo, pkcable and 1 others like this.
    04-05-12 01:54 PM
    Incredibly useful. Thanks shane
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    04-05-12 03:52 PM
    so in the misc folder you just add the index.html file. how does it get access to the css or javascript files if the html asks for those files??? does that mean all those things should just be in the html file for your app to work??
    thanks a lot by the way this is quite awesome of you to do

a small request though can you add all the permissions so people can access everything for more tests on different type of apps that may require access to that.

If it work as u say it would save a lot of time when testing thanks again!!
    04-05-12 10:01 PM
    so in the misc folder you just add the index.html file. how does it get access to the css or javascript files if the html asks for those files??? does that mean all those things should just be in the html file for your app to work??
    thanks a lot by the way this is quite awesome of you to do

a small request though can you add all the permissions so people can access everything for more tests on different type of apps that may require access to that.

If it work as u say it would save a lot of time when testing thanks again!!
    You put everything in the Testing folder. Your css, subpages, js, folders, etc.
    If you send me a config doc with the permissions you want included I can add them and recompile the app
    04-05-12 10:06 PM
    i cant download it when i click the link it goes to the site but weird letters come up ill send you a pm thanks again
    04-05-12 10:08 PM
    Send me a screenshot. I'll add you on bbm if you PM me your pin.
    04-05-12 10:08 PM
    here it is not sure why i cant dl it sent you a pm.
    04-05-12 10:16 PM
    here it is not sure why i cant dl it sent you a pm.
    Oh that.
    Some browsers try to read the .bar as a .txt file. If that happens to you again, just save the page as a .bar
    04-05-12 10:19 PM
    thanks a lot. gonna have to try this out tonight!!. would you mind answering the other question i had about this app i just want to make sure i get it working properly. thanks again.
    04-05-12 10:21 PM
    You put everything in the Testing folder. Your css, subpages, js, folders, etc.
    If you send me a config doc with the permissions you want included I can add them and recompile the app
    This answer?
    04-05-12 10:23 PM
    This answer?
    yup thanks im off to play with some apps as for the permission ill let you know thanks again btw nice to meet you shane
    04-05-12 10:30 PM
    Might be easier for some, if you just put the app on a web server on your local network, and then set the config.xml to point the start page to the app on your web server. Of course, that'll be slower to load, but it will probably be faster to develop.
    04-05-12 11:16 PM
    Also, if you really wanted, you could create an index.html with:

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.yourwebsite.com/">
    </head>
    <body>
    <h1>Redirect</h1>
    <p>Redirecting to the testing URL.</p>
    </body>
    </html>
    Where the URL points to your live website somewhere. Should let you test everything in realtime without needing to install a wamp or anything therein

Alternatively, you could just create a single HTML page with a link to the websites you are testing. Handy. And for people who see gibberish when clicking on the .BAR, right click and select "Save As", in the popup dialog type "WebWorksTesting.Bar" *including the quotation marks*. This will force the file-extension to a .BAR format.

Ed.
    Last edited by KermEd; 04-05-12 at 11:49 PM.
    04-05-12 11:45 PM
    This looks pretty nice, seems like something that could be very handy if I develop any more WebWorks applications. Thanks for this.
    04-06-12 06:40 AM
    @eblade I have a version set up like that for personal use, but unless everyone wants to just test my apps that won't be much help I've found Dropbox to be an excellent substitute for a server as well, which eliminates the need for ftp file transfers if your server is located remotely.
    @KermEd you don't need to use the index.html, you can plug the url directly into the config.xml
    Edit: totally misunderstood what you said KermEd, putting an html file like that into the Testing folder is an excellent suggestion!
    I'll post the source code, such as it is (simplist source code ever) later.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 04-06-12 at 09:19 AM.
    04-06-12 09:14 AM
    Attached the source code, such as it is, to the OP, under a GPL license.
    04-06-12 10:29 AM
    This is a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new topic for this one question, and it seems like the people in this thread are knowledgeable in WebWorks applications, so:

Is there a way to make a WebWorks app accept cookies? I want to make a simple WebWorks app to launch Facebook fullscreen, and it is "working" but when I try to sign in it tells me I need to enable cookies in my browser. Is there a way to fix this, or will this not be possible through this method?

EDIT: Ignore this, it is seemingly now working. Not 100% sure why though (as in, what changed to make it work).
    Last edited by SifJar; 04-07-12 at 01:51 PM.
    04-07-12 01:47 PM
    This is a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new topic for this one question, and it seems like the people in this thread are knowledgeable in WebWorks applications, so:

Is there a way to make a WebWorks app accept cookies? I want to make a simple WebWorks app to launch Facebook fullscreen, and it is "working" but when I try to sign in it tells me I need to enable cookies in my browser. Is there a way to fix this, or will this not be possible through this method?

EDIT: Ignore this, it is seemingly now working. Not 100% sure why though (as in, what changed to make it work).
    Webworks apps have cookies enabled.
    Glad you got it working, I was about to build a 30 second facebook app to try and replicate the problem and send it to you if it didn't.

*pushes thread back on track*
    04-07-12 02:08 PM
    So this app was finally accepted to App World if anyone wants to download it from there rather than sideloading it:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ontent/103086/
    08-23-12 11:59 AM
    WOW it took them 4 months to approve it!
    08-23-12 02:47 PM
    WOW it took them 4 months to approve it!
    4 months

So how long does it take for a person to approve the app?

Do the people at RIM actually test each app on their devices first and tries it out for a day or two, then allows it to show up in the App World?
    Last edited by rupam95; 08-23-12 at 02:55 PM.
    08-23-12 02:50 PM
    4 months

So how long does it take for a person to approve the app?

Do the people at RIM actually test each app on their devices first and tries it out for a day or two, then allows it to show up in the App World?
    It was denied 3 months ago on the claim that "WebWorks is a trademarked name of RIM." I updated it a month ago and tried resubmitting it and it was denied because it's ""not a consumer based app."
    Yesterday I sent a message to @BlackBerryDev because a different app of mine got denied for a different (stupid) reason, and @BlackBerryDev approved both the WebWorks Testing app and the other app as well.
    08-23-12 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD