Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default We need plain text editor

I believe it would be good to have a plain text/ascii editor that can open and save files in just alphanumeric format. I would like to be able to edit html and txt files and be abe to point and open such files. Doc-to-go will only show doc type files.

On the BB we have bbnotepad which works great.

The reason I want it is because I am keeping a BOOKMARK.HTML file for my Favorites and want to be able to edit it on the Playbook. That way I could add to it as needed.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Just checking to see if I've missed any new apps that might address editing simple ascii/text/txt files including html.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Still looking:

I am still seeking a plain text editor. I want to edit the html files and/or just xxx.txt files I've placed on my pb.

I guess creating a text editor is not a simple task.
    CrackBerry Master

I've been using this app for a while, works quite well to edit text files: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs.../48955?lang=en
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks. I have that one and don't recall why I kind of left it alone. I will check it out again.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Still looking:

I am still seeking a plain text editor. I want to edit the html files and/or just xxx.txt files I've placed on my pb.

Mobicode maybe?? found it in Utilities in app world.. dunno if it's any good for what you want...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

DD1968:

Looks interesting but I gather they have not updated since noting "Saving your work is a feature that is not yet supported.... This will be fixed ... as Webworks api is update"

They mention copy/paste to save the work.

Only one review back in April. I might use their contact to find out more.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts

Why in the world native .txt editing isn't available on the phones or PlayBook is beyond me, very puzzling.

Anyways, I use Notebook Plus. It's not free, and doesn't allow you to navigate the file system (for if your files aren't in /accounts/1000/shared/documents/) but it works. Supports .txt .html .php and "other"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    BlackBerry pulls the plug on themes: https://twitter.com/#!/BlackBerryDev...73487468920834 :< need to rally the troops and convince RIM we want themes on BB10!
    Thanked by:
    F2 (09-07-2011) 
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Juggalo:

Thanks. Interesting - it did not come up in a search for NOTE or text or txt.

But to be clear - it will find/open files already on my pb as long as they are in:

/accounts/1000/shared/documents/

I can live with that (I do have documents folder further organized as excel, html, pdf, etc folders but can move stuff if necessary)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts

Yeah, I tried to say it only finds the files in that location with no ability to navigate elsewhere, just worded it poorly

BlackBerry pulls the plug on themes: https://twitter.com/#!/BlackBerryDev...73487468920834 :< need to rally the troops and convince RIM we want themes on BB10!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Another quick question if you don't mind. In one of its reviews there was a question or comment about copy/paste from the browser or maybe the url. Can you do such copy/paste? In other words, I've made my own home page. It opens to a table with links. In that table I've got a bunch of "place holders" called "edit here" where I can copy a url from the current browser page so keep it current or fix bad/obsolete links. Does the app allow that kind of editing/copying/pasting?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts

I'm not 100% sure I follow. But, I opened up my escreen.html in Notebook Plus, opened the browser to http://m.crackberry.com and could copy the url from the address bar and paste into my escreen.html, the same goes for the article text, no issues copying then pasting into Notebook Plus 2.0.9.0

13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Thanks - that's what I wanted to know. I will probably purchase it.
    CrackBerry User

Default Try this

Have you tried https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/50486 for editing txt, html, php?
    CrackBerry User

Been looking the past couple of days for a text editor for the same purpose. And after finding your post did yet another search on app world and noted that an app that I had already installed on my pb. Ghost commander has an editor through some trial error was able to navigate to index.html in browser folder. The editor works with a distinctly dose flavor, copy and paste works as well though I did not try from address bar in browser. Check that pasting from browser works as well.
    Last edited by xindy; 04-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

AIR browser and Bluepad work for me. Both free.
    Last edited by hpulley; 04-02-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Bold 9700(work), Playbook 32, Kobo Vox (for my kids mostly), iPhone4S (wife's)
    CrackBerry User

BTW Notebook Plus has been renamed to Codebook. It has been tightened up and is a greaat html,.js,.css, .php, .txt editor.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Maybe it's a little late but I wrote a Text Editor for blackberry, if you guys are interrested:
    FREE Version:
    Free AZR - Text Editor - Download AZR - Text Editor - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

PRO For Developers:
    Includes UTF-8 Support
    No Ads
    No file Size limit
    QuickConstructor, this tool helps you to build code very quickly, without typing anyting.
    Buy AZR - Text Editor Pro - Download AZR - Text Editor Pro - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Last edited by Azr79; 05-19-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Still looking:

One can always port vi.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    PM me for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Azr79 View Post
    Maybe it's a little late but I wrote a Text Editor for blackberry, if you guys are interrested:
    FREE Version:
    Free AZR - Text Editor - Download AZR - Text Editor - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

PRO For Developers:
    Includes UTF-8 Support
    No Ads
    No file Size limit
    QuickConstructor, this tool helps you to build code very quickly, without typing anyting.
    Buy AZR - Text Editor Pro - Download AZR - Text Editor Pro - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    When I open your link to the paid app, it states that it doesnt support my device profile (playbook). By the screenshots it looks like a BlackBerry smartphone app, not playbook.
    "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" - Matthew 16:24

SpeedNotes - A fast and convenient note taking application

VitalSigns - Customizable Style for your BlackBerry 10 Device!

Visit Gray Matter Apps on the web: http://www.graymatterapps.com/
    CrackBerry User

Last edited by fancyname; 05-19-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added link
    CrackBerry Abuser

I remember trying to convert FX File Explorer from Android, it converts but on installing to the PB only the Text Editor shows up not the file explorer (On Android two icons are created one for each), the text editor looks pretty good.

Bar File: nextapp.fx.bar

23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by russnash View Post
    When I open your link to the paid app, it states that it doesnt support my device profile (playbook). By the screenshots it looks like a BlackBerry smartphone app, not playbook.
    Yes, the links indicate it is for bb phones.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by russnash View Post
    Yeah sorry didn't mention it was a smartphone app.
    But I'm already working on PlayBook App:
    AZR-CodeEditor
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm wondering if there's been any new txt editors come along lately that I might have missed , something like Pluepad but with better file browsing capabilities and that can utilize the native spell checker.
    With Bluepad I can live with the file browser as is, the zoom levels are great for bad eye sight but I really need the spell checker feature, does anyone know of a way to get this to work in Bluepad I'm thinking I may have overlooked a setting or something.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast