hi there, I've been looking high and low for two things, hopefully someone here can help me out. I would like to control my wdtv via an app, similar to wdtv remote thats provided for iOS and android. If thats not possible, does anyone know of a way that I can watch stuff thats on the network via the wdtv on my playbook? I mean, it should relatively be easy, the hard drives are on the network, my computers can see them, why can't my playbook? Thanks for the help guys!
    11-02-12 03:35 PM
    If the hard drives on your network have their own ip addresses, you can try to connect to them and stream media from them using Ghost Commander (free in app world). Click on Windows Share from the home screen and then enter the ip address of the drive.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    11-02-12 03:49 PM
    If the hard drives on your network have their own ip addresses, you can try to connect to them and stream media from them using Ghost Commander (free in app world). Click on Windows Share from the home screen and then enter the ip address of the drive.
    I can see the files and browse through folders, however I can't play anything because "action is not supported". Thanks for introducing me to this app though, it'll be useful for other purposes.
    11-02-12 04:00 PM
    I can see the files and browse through folders, however I can't play anything because "action is not supported". Thanks for introducing me to this app though, it'll be useful for other purposes.
    I use ES File Explorer. Once you have the share open, long press on the file and select Open As and then Video. Should give you the option of selecting which app to use to open the file. Usually the Movies option works for me. Not sure how much of this applies to Ghost Commander, but I've got to imagine it's a similar procedure.

Note: Love my WDTV Live. I've got the wdlxtv firmware on it which gives me a built-in ruTorrent client so I can have the unit download all of my favorite shows directly to a locally attached 1TB disk. Nearly as seamless as Netflix, but without the subscription and crappy streaming over my low bandwidth link.

RCK

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2
    11-02-12 04:25 PM
    thanks, that worked like a charm. Now if only someone would release the remote app. Btw, have you guys tried the chrome extension for side loading? It makes life so much easier!

I use ES File Explorer. Once you have the share open, long press on the file and select Open As and then Video. Should give you the option of selecting which app to use to open the file. Usually the Movies option works for me. Not sure how much of this applies to Ghost Commander, but I've got to imagine it's a similar procedure.

Note: Love my WDTV Live. I've got the wdlxtv firmware on it which gives me a built-in ruTorrent client so I can have the unit download all of my favorite shows directly to a locally attached 1TB disk. Nearly as seamless as Netflix, but without the subscription and crappy streaming over my low bandwidth link.

RCK

11-02-12 05:12 PM
    Well, now that you've got ES installed, you might try streaming with Ghost again. The action may not have been supported previously, probably because Ghost couldn't find a player to stream your video. But Ghost can use ES's player to stream video, so it might work now.
    11-02-12 05:39 PM
    I would also like to try this but I can't even find ES file explorer........where is it please? Also do you have to give the hard drives IP addresses, if so how would I do that?
    11-02-12 06:12 PM
    I would also like to try this but I can't even find ES file explorer........where is it please? Also do you have to give the hard drives IP addresses, if so how would I do that?
    ES needs to be sideloaded and can be found here- Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market
    Your HD ip address is assigned by your router, and can change depending on how many devices are connecting through your router. Check your PB's ip address, which you can find in Settings/About/Network (from the drop down menu/ IPv4/. It'll probably be something like 192.168.0.102. If it is, try using numbers close to the .102- thus try 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.103 and so on.
    11-02-12 08:14 PM
    I have tried several workarounds but Kalemsoft Media Player works the best. It's $6.99 at App World but worth it. It also plays videos stored on the Playbook and has the ability to resume videos.
    The link will take you to the thread on this forum where the app was announced.
    You have to run a streaming server app on a Windows PC. It will stream the videos stored on your WDTV drives.
    I have a WDTV Live Plus. I don't have USB attached drives anymore because of the limited Ethernet speed on the WDTV. I now use a WD Live NAS drive with a Gigabit connection.

I have no affiliation with Kalemsoft other than being a customer. I seldom endorse products, but this one deserves it.
    11-03-12 10:54 AM
    thanks, that worked like a charm. Now if only someone would release the remote app. Btw, have you guys tried the chrome extension for side loading? It makes life so much easier!
    I managed to convert and install the wdlxtv remote app, however, I could never get it to work either under Android or PB OS. It "sees" the wdtv box but refuses to connect. I checked every possible setting and reviewed all of the help entries, but no joy.

RCK

11-03-12 01:21 PM
    IIRC, someone commented a while that a previous release worked fine on PlayBook (v0.3.x or so, well before the rewriting of 0.5)
    11-05-12 10:37 AM
    I wrote an app for the playbook to control the Wdtv live smp. I'm waiting for it to be approved for the app world. Let me know if you're interested in trying it out.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-31-13 10:01 PM
    I wrote an app for the playbook to control the Wdtv live smp. I'm waiting for it to be approved for the app world. Let me know if you're interested in trying it out.
    Interesting, thanks codemonkee! Is it native or an android port? Wolf
    02-01-13 04:33 AM
    It's a native app. I wrote it using the webworks SDK
    02-01-13 06:20 PM
    let us know when its out. would love to give it a try
    02-01-13 06:37 PM
    I am interested.
    I use the web interface now but that isn't ideal.
    02-01-13 08:16 PM
    Here are some screenshots. Let me know what you think.

02-01-13 08:36 PM
    Very nice. Much more than I expected.
    I like the Services screen even though I only use Netflix.
    Do the 12 Services buttons on the main screen work individually or is it like one big button that opens the services screen?

Could those 12 buttons be customizable (sp)? Like assigning the services you use most. Is it possible to pick up the Favorites from the WD TV device?

Do you want a tester? I am a programmer but haven't attempted anything for the Playbook yet. Most of what I do is database front ends for work.
    02-02-13 07:14 AM
    Beautiful, good use of the drop down menu (no accidental power off tapping :-). Let us know about availability or beta testing!
    And being webworks, portability to bb10 should be fairly easy...
    Thx for creating the app, Wolf
    MedChemist and thecodemonkee like this.
    02-02-13 07:32 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. Each service button on the main screen works individually and they are customizable (I've limited to 12).

I am not aware of a way to request favorites from the Wdtv and would definitely add this functionality if it is there.

The more testers, the better. I'll post the bar file shortly.
    02-02-13 07:36 AM
    Thanks for offering your testing services . Here's the link to download clicker:

• You'll have to enter the IP address of your WDTV (auto discovery would require native app development and more effort)

• Some services (like Hulu) don't allow volume to be controlled. Let me know if you find others.

Here's the description that I've submitted for BlackBerry World:

Clicker is an easy to use function rich remote control for your WDTV Live Streaming Media Player (SMP). Clicker let's you get the most out of your WDTV Live SMP by controlling it with your Blackberry Playbook. Enter the IP address of your WDTV and take control of your entertainment with this exceptional remote.

Main features:

* navigation buttons
    * media controls
    * volume slider
    * numberpad
    * quick and complete access to online services
    * keyboard entry
    * remote power off

To follow application development, make suggestions or get support, follow us on Twitter (@PlaybookClicker).
    02-02-13 07:52 AM
    Thecodemonkey, that sounds great. Though I don't have the WDTV unit I have been considering the Western Digital Mybook Live Duo which has only iOs or Android apps available. Is you app a native or android app? I wonder if it would work with the Live Duo?
    02-02-13 08:20 AM
    I've installed and configure the app. Everything seems to function as it should.
    The portrait mode was a nice surprise.

Is it possible to add shortcuts to WDTV menu items as available items for the 12 service icons on the right? Videos, Music, Photos, etc.?
    I know these can be programmed to remote keys in the WDTV itself. I don't know what WD has given programmers access to.
    I have the GPL Code package here but only used the parts related to themes.

In portrait mode, people with smaller hands may like the ability to have the navigation buttons closer to the right or left side of the screen rather than centered.
    A shortcut to the web interface could be useful too, although there isn't much you can do from the Playbook other than add RSS feeds that seldom work.

None of these suggestions should be taken as criticism, just suggestions.

Again, very nice.
    Thanks
    thecodemonkee likes this.
    02-02-13 08:46 AM
    Thecodemonkey, that sounds great. Though I don't have the WDTV unit I have been considering the Western Digital Mybook Live Duo which has only iOs or Android apps available. Is you app a native or android app? I wonder if it would work with the Live Duo?
    The app is native but is designed to control a media player. There are no functions for the Live Duo that are remotely controlled. It's a network storage device.
    The iOS and Android apps are WD 2Go which gives you access to your files. The Android version has been converted to be sideloaded on the Playbook.
    02-02-13 09:07 AM
    To avoid further hijacking this thread, I've created a separate thread to discuss clicker feedback.
    02-02-13 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD