Using OS2 .7111, app launches, bios loads, and it waits on GAMEBOY.
    - Tried a few different .GBA roms.
    - Made sure directories are all created.
    - Tried 2 different BIOS downloads

I think if I try a few more bios images I might get it loading But I am good to wait for the releases. Great work on this guys, loving all the ports!
    lol, thought I was the only one
    01-23-12 03:00 PM
    Do you guys have the following ...

z:\misc\roms\gba\gba_bios.bin

And when launching you see the 'Nintendo' splash with the 'ping' sound ?
    After this the ROM loads, but if you just see a white screen it's not found the bios ...

Hmmm ...

Also note that PD games and demo's don't require the bios ...
    01-23-12 03:12 PM
    Do you guys have the following ...

z:\misc\roms\gba\gba_bios.bin

And when launching you see the 'Nintendo' splash with the 'ping' sound ?
    After this the ROM loads, but if you just see a white screen it's not found the bios ...

Hmmm ...

Also note that PD games and demo's don't require the bios ...
    Yep. At least on my end I get the splash screen and it sticks there with the Gameboy logo on the screen, doesn't seem to load into the rom afterwards. It does create the vbam folder.

Little edit: Tried with a couple ROM's and PD's with the same result.
    Last edited by Fenrir26; 01-23-12 at 05:27 PM.
    01-23-12 03:37 PM
    All i get is a white screen. You said that that means it's not found the bios, but i have gba_bios.bin in the right location and i have tried 4 different downloads of the file.
    01-23-12 04:29 PM
    Are there particular games that work and don't work?
    01-23-12 05:09 PM
    Not sure if it matters, but on the snes9x thread they improved speed by chaning some compiler options.. would doing the same here make a difference?
    01-23-12 05:37 PM
    Not sure if it matters, but on the snes9x thread they improved speed by chaning some compiler options.. would doing the same here make a difference?
    Yes not sure exactly what they tweaked but it would help. There's a bunch of GCC options like -fomit-frame-pointer etc that would help a little but most of these issues are related to lack of GLES hardware support for Screen scaling, flipping it's currently all done via software and sucks up CPU.

It's also a pretty powerful emulator since it's supporting GB,GBC and GBA plus a whole whack of filters and options. Lots to explore and I'm sure the speed issues will be resolved eventually!

v1.0.0.4 release fixes the game loading glitch from 1.0.03 sorry!

- put any .gba games in the folder and it will load up the last one put in
    - rom cycling is not enabled yet - I will get around to it, code is in place.
    - gfx fix for buttons no longer look 'smudged'
    - code tweaks to audio 11khz, 0.3s buffer temporary seems to improve stuttering

VBAMpb-1_0_0_4.bar
    KermEd and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    01-23-12 11:46 PM
    v1.0.0.4 release fixes the game loading glitch from 1.0.03 sorry!
    VBAMpb-1_0_0_4.bar

You need to give us your PayPal info Works like a charm, thank you!

No issues to note for me.
    01-24-12 01:08 AM
    Thank you froggyface. You're really adding a lot of value and enjoyment for the PlayBook with these emulators.

This GBA emulator seems to be working pretty well for me, although like you said, games are running choppy and stutter with performance/audio. Some are playable though. This would be great if you could get the performance up there with the NES emulator.

I haven't time to read through the whole thread, but for those of you having issues loading the roms, know that the .gba extension is case sensitive, meaning .gba roms will load, but not .GBA.

Looking forward to the progression on this.

Thanks
    ErnestoBB likes this.
    01-24-12 03:28 AM
    You need to give us your PayPal info Works like a charm, thank you!

No issues to note for me.
    Thanks, I've took your advice I have an optional donation paypal button ...
    froggyface

Don't feel obligated to do this but if I can get a few pints of beer out of my coding, I'm smiling!
    01-24-12 10:10 AM
    Froggy:

(ignore the project title)

uncheck debug, and change optimization level to level 3.

See if that works.
    01-24-12 01:47 PM
    hmm this one crashes as soon as I click on the icon. Also I noticed in the misc folder there are two vbam folders, one in the root of misc and another in the vbampb folder. Thought maybe leftovers from the previous version were getting in the way and did a wipe and a fresh update to .7111 and got the same results.
    01-24-12 02:59 PM
    anybody else's buttons REALLY small in the top left corner or is it just me?

Really happy that you are making progress on this. Most GBA games unplayable sadly tho. Fixed the white screen of death, thanks (lovin your NES one... Seriously have made my playbook so much happier!)
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 01-24-12 at 09:14 PM.
    01-24-12 09:11 PM
    hmm this one crashes as soon as I click on the icon. Also I noticed in the misc folder there are two vbam folders, one in the root of misc and another in the vbampb folder. Thought maybe leftovers from the previous version were getting in the way and did a wipe and a fresh update to .7111 and got the same results.
    I was having a similar issue to this as well.. Turned out that the reasoning was because the file name for the roms were .GBA instead of .gba (actually made a difference n works now) maybe try that?
    Fenrir26 likes this.
    01-24-12 09:15 PM
    Thanks, I've took your advice I have an optional donation paypal button ...
    froggyface

Don't feel obligated to do this but if I can get a few pints of beer out of my coding, I'm smiling!
    Thanks mate - I sent you a donation to get it rolling .
    01-24-12 09:22 PM
    anybody else's buttons REALLY small in the top left corner or is it just me?

Really happy that you are making progress on this. Most GBA games unplayable sadly tho. Fixed the white screen of death, thanks (lovin your NES one... Seriously have made my playbook so much happier!)
    Edit your .cfg file and change the display mode to the first one (normal stretched x1).

Edit:. Added mine in case it helps. Just unzip and place on top of your current one in misc/vbampb

Cheers
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-24-12 at 09:27 PM.
    abass likes this.
    01-24-12 09:23 PM
    I was having a similar issue to this as well.. Turned out that the reasoning was because the file name for the roms were .GBA instead of .gba (actually made a difference n works now) maybe try that?
    That seems to have worked lol emu loaded and ran.
    01-25-12 12:07 AM
    thanks for your effort, but are you going to make a version for os1.x
    01-25-12 12:14 AM
    I am a big fan of your efforts - I have your NES emu and I love it. I have been unable to use this one and have been trying since you have posted it. I believe that I have following all of the instructions exactly and I still just get it to act like it opening and then immediately closes - I would really love to get this running - what can I do???
    01-25-12 10:49 AM
    thanks for your effort, but are you going to make a version for os1.x
    2.0 comes out in less than a month and the beta files for it are stable, why should he spend time on creating a 1.0 version when you can technically use it right now or just wait a few weeks?

I don't mean any disrespect or anything, he is just doing us all a favor so I don't quite see what the use would be for him to spend what time he has in creating an OS 1 version.
    01-25-12 12:17 PM
    I am a big fan of your efforts - I have your NES emu and I love it. I have been unable to use this one and have been trying since you have posted it. I believe that I have following all of the instructions exactly and I still just get it to act like it opening and then immediately closes - I would really love to get this running - what can I do???
    Make sure your GBA games or GBC or w.e games have the lowercase file extension. If it is .GBA, make it .gba, etc. That has been what worked for me and others encountering this problem.
    01-25-12 12:18 PM
    Make sure your GBA games or GBC or w.e games have the lowercase file extension. If it is .GBA, make it .gba, etc. That has been what worked for me and others encountering this problem.
    next release will fix this , I have rom cycling working ( tap top left ... ) ... and it seems ok now just need to do a bit more testing .
    01-25-12 12:26 PM
    next release will fix this , I have rom cycling working ( tap top left ... ) ... and it seems ok now just need to do a bit more testing .
    Will it eventually be able to be in a directory instead of like rom cycling? (like for the NES emulator too etc? I mean I have a decent amount of games and I have to hit it like 20 times to get to the one game I want to play. Just wondering)

Also, how exactly do you get the GBC or GB games working? I have the GBA games loading just fine.. I cannot get any GBC or GB games working though.. It just goes as far as the "Gameboy" screen.

Thanks.
    01-25-12 12:56 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. They are lowercase - I just cant figure this out... very frustrating.
    01-25-12 01:14 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. They are lowercase - I just cant figure this out... very frustrating.
    Ok so the next step would be to make sure these roms are in the right directory since the app is setup to only look there. Be sure that they are in the Z:/misc/roms/gba/ directory. As soon as the app starts, it looks there for a valid rom.

If it doesn't see one, it automatically closes. Also, make sure they are working roms and not corrupted files.
    01-25-12 01:21 PM
253 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD