I am a PGA Golf Professional and among other things in my job, I give golf lessons. I bought my PlayBook for a few reasons:

1) I wanted it
    2) As a present to myself for being elected to PGA of America Membership
    3) I could use the 1080p video function for my students during lessons.

The video quality on the PlayBook has been fantastic and I love having the option to hook it up to our TV in the Golf Shop for a larger screen for my students. I became very excited when I found out that Android apps would have some functionality in the new OS 2.0 because I would then be able to use the V1 Golf App.

I recently e-mailed, Facebooked and tweeted V1 in hopes that they would develop the app to work on the PlayBook and received this reply:

"we would love to produce it for you but we just do not have the resources at this time, sorry."

Major bummer. The PlayBook is a great tablet and super-convenient on the lesson tee thanks to its size and form factor.

I was curious if any other golf professionals or fans have been able to convert the Android SDK to a BAR file? Or, is there a similar app out on the market? I would love to incorporate this into my lessons.

Thanks,
    Paulrobs7 and macberry33 like this.
    02-28-12 02:58 PM
    This interests me also, I have been taking my PB with me to the practice tee and usually have it in my bag when I am on the course and would love to be able to use the V1 software.
    mfreypga likes this.
    02-28-12 05:11 PM
    if you can locate the apk there are people on here that will convert it to a bar for sideloading.
    02-28-12 05:17 PM
    I've looked for an apk, but I can't seem to find one! Has anyone had any luck?
    02-28-12 08:57 PM
    It's a paid app, right? I would happily pay somebody (preferably V1) for a Playbook app. How much would it cost the developer to convert it? Come on V1...
    02-29-12 05:55 AM
    I've tested on some APK files that I've found and they don't do anything outside of launching the V1 Golf site. So I'm not sure if this can be converted successfully. Anyone else been able to test this out?
    02-29-12 08:11 AM
    It's a paid app, right? I would happily pay somebody (preferably V1) for a Playbook app. How much would it cost the developer to convert it? Come on V1...
    There's a free app and a paid app with no ads. I'm looking for the free, but would also gladly pay for the premium app.
    02-29-12 11:19 AM
    I've tested on some APK files that I've found and they don't do anything outside of launching the V1 Golf site. So I'm not sure if this can be converted successfully. Anyone else been able to test this out?
    I received a response from the V1 Facebook page today:

"Hi Matt, Our understanding is that the Blackberry Playbook Android app support doesn't allow direct access to the hardware via Android's native development kit (NDK). We will be procuring a Playbook to confirm this."

So you may be right, it may not work. I hope that if this is the case, they make a decision to support the Android Player on the PlayBook.
    02-29-12 11:20 AM
    That would be great. I would also like to have the Flightscope Launch Monitor transferred to a .bar format. We will have to wait and see.
    02-29-12 02:20 PM
    I received a response from the V1 Facebook page today:

"Hi Matt, Our understanding is that the Blackberry Playbook Android app support doesn't allow direct access to the hardware via Android's native development kit (NDK). We will be procuring a Playbook to confirm this."

So you may be right, it may not work. I hope that if this is the case, they make a decision to support the Android Player on the PlayBook.
    Just so it doesn't get lost, the apk file I found did convert and load successfully, but the app on the PB just loaded the website. If you ask them nicely, maybe they could send you the free apk file and then someone can easily convert it over and report back the findings. As for all we know it could have been a bad apk file. Maybe easier and quicker then them buying a playbook...
    02-29-12 03:29 PM
    Let them buy a PlayBook and become inspired...
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 02-29-12 at 08:23 PM.
    Blacklac likes this.
    02-29-12 05:55 PM
    Just so it doesn't get lost, the apk file I found did convert and load successfully, but the app on the PB just loaded the website. If you ask them nicely, maybe they could send you the free apk file and then someone can easily convert it over and report back the findings. As for all we know it could have been a bad apk file. Maybe easier and quicker then them buying a playbook...
    One of our Crackberry friends converted it too. It opens but does not function properly either...it too brings me to the website. Check it out here: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post7191203

I think I'll wait just a bit and check back in with V1. Hopefully, they'll be impressed with the PlayBook and convert their files to work on our Android Player. I really want this app!

UPDATE: I reopened the V1 Apple, and it started to work! I was signing up, but then the player crashed. Now I'm back to the website...I'll keep trying.

I also sent the link for the free PlayBook offer for developers to V1...hopefully that will be a good start.
    Last edited by mfreypga; 02-29-12 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Update
    Paulrobs7 likes this.
    02-29-12 07:03 PM
    UPDATE: V1 announced a new app for iOS. I asked if they had plans for BlackBerry and they said: "We are working on a "browser based" version of the V1 Pro which will allow you to run it off of your browser, regardless of operating system." That's better than nothing, but I'm hoping for an app to be released as well!
    Paulrobs7 likes this.
    04-18-12 01:40 PM
    UPDATE: V1 announced a new app for iOS. I asked if they had plans for BlackBerry and they said: "We are working on a "browser based" version of the V1 Pro which will allow you to run it off of your browser, regardless of operating system." That's better than nothing, but I'm hoping for an app to be released as well!
    Also, if you ask an indie developer nicely, they could build an app around the V1 Pro website once released. If you've ever seen the Grooveshark app in App World, it's just an app built around html5.grooveshark.com - not just a launcher to the website, as it doesn't open via the Browser.

Good luck on your search!
    04-18-12 02:12 PM
    I just received an email from V1 Sports pushing V1 for Iphone and Android (also shows a tablet about size of Playbook, but it must be new iPad mini)

I have VI here somewhere - Must be on laptop my wife is using these days. Haven't used it lately, but the way we used it, was to tape a swing with a good digital video camera on a tripod, then transfer the file to the laptop for analysis on V1. Perhaps this could be done with Playbook too? Use the PB to record and provide instant playback of swings, then for analysis on big screen tale it to shop, hook up to computer and load file from V1?

Don't know why I don't have V1 on my laptop, Maybe a problem with Win 7 or maybe I bought a download only and don't have a CD? Will have to check.

BTW, if this helps, don't bother sending me money. A free lesson will do
    11-20-12 01:55 PM
    I am a PGA Golf Professional and among other things in my job, I give golf lessons. I bought my PlayBook for a few reasons:

1) I wanted it
    2) As a present to myself for being elected to PGA of America Membership
    3) I could use the 1080p video function for my students during lessons.

The video quality on the PlayBook has been fantastic and I love having the option to hook it up to our TV in the Golf Shop for a larger screen for my students. I became very excited when I found out that Android apps would have some functionality in the new OS 2.0 because I would then be able to use the V1 Golf App.

I recently e-mailed, Facebooked and tweeted V1 in hopes that they would develop the app to work on the PlayBook and received this reply:

"we would love to produce it for you but we just do not have the resources at this time, sorry."

Major bummer. The PlayBook is a great tablet and super-convenient on the lesson tee thanks to its size and form factor.

I was curious if any other golf professionals or fans have been able to convert the Android SDK to a BAR file? Or, is there a similar app out on the market? I would love to incorporate this into my lessons.

Thanks,
    Hi all,

I�m also a PGA instructor and new PB owner.
    Having been in contact with a few "golf-app" developers for other platforms its sadly to note that their interesest in BB OS is zero...

I have found a lot of apps for Photo and was wondering if anybody here has a suggestion for an equivalent for video.

What I, as instructor, would like to do is;
    - record the students motion
    - easily cut frames before/after the swing
    - zoom in/out
    - play the swing frame by frame / slow motion
    - "print screen"
    - export to mail/youtube

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    01-08-13 04:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD