Hi,

I recently bought a couple of Playbooks for my kid's Christmas presents (being organised this year!). They only have free apps on them and I don't wish to register any payment info with App World as for now they can stick to the free stuff. But sometimes (often) when these free apps need an update it will ask me to login with their BlackBerry ID (which it doesn't normally need for a free update), then after logging in it asks for payment details (e.g. PayPal) leaving me with no option but to cancel and so it doesn't update. I have so far managed to get around it by deleting the app then re-installing it form scratch but once the kids start using these that will of course lose any saved data and now the latest update is for Creavures (one updated fine the other showed the issue) and since this is now a pay app I don't want to risk uninstalling it as I read somewhere I'd have to pay to re-install (which is ridiculous if true).

The issue affects both the Playbooks but not consistently (e.g. Creavures updated fine on one but not the other), both are running latest firmware. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this bug or should I just contact RIM for support?

TIA
    pickles#WP likes this.
    11-04-12 06:19 AM
    try searching for the apps then using the upgrade button there after you have found it. I had that problem with one app everytime I used the upgrade button in My World
    11-04-12 08:23 AM
    try searching for the apps then using the upgrade button there after you have found it. I had that problem with one app everytime I used the upgrade button in My World
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I tried searching for Creavures (as that's the game currently giving me this issue) but it just gives a 'purchase' option rather than 'upgrade', I checked on the other Playbook (which had already updated successfully) but it showed the same (no 'delete' option either like other installed apps show). I guess maybe since they made it a paid app it has a different entry in App World (I notice links online to the free version fail now and the current one is listed with no reviews, but it definitely had review before).
    11-04-12 09:20 AM
    I have same. Suspect App Store has problems. I have. 2 Playbooks (forever).

WORKS OK NOW.
    Last edited by bbfan1040; 11-04-12 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Fixed by App World.
    11-04-12 09:32 AM
    A dev told me this was a bug in. I088 try refreshing appworld and or rebooting. I've also had apps I paid for ask for more money for a free upgrade. A reboot fixed it.
    jezcooke and shermantenor like this.
    11-04-12 09:58 AM
    I don't get it, but creavures was only free for a limited time, nothing to do with version.
    The free time ended on november 1st. You can't upgrade unless you are willing to pay for it, or reinstall unless you are willing to pay for it. So i leave it on mu PB as longs as possible.
    11-04-12 01:27 PM
    Creavures & ShadowGun were free only for 1 month [October] Now you gotta pay to upgrade.
    11-04-12 02:33 PM
    I'm not convinced that it is related to Creavures no longer being free, firstly because I've had exactly the same issue with other games that were still free at the time (and worked around the issue by re-installing them). It would also be rather odd for it to pester you to update an app and then try and charge for it (so you either have to uninstall or put up with the notification forever if you don't want to pay to upgrade then?!). But most notably the other PlayBook I have right next to it updated it quite happily today (no payment details registered on either BlackBerry ID)!
    11-04-12 04:00 PM
    A dev told me this was a bug in. I088 try refreshing appworld and or rebooting. I've also had apps I paid for ask for more money for a free upgrade. A reboot fixed it.
    Thanks for that tip. My son's two playbooks had that issue and performing a refresh from My World inside App World got things back on track. CreaVures included.
    jezcooke likes this.
    11-04-12 09:06 PM
    Another +1 for this, I'd previously tried rebooting which hadn't helped, but hitting the 'refresh list' button in App World sorted it. Thanks!
    11-05-12 01:56 AM
    Creavures & ShadowGun were free only for 1 month [October] Now you gotta pay to upgrade.
    I am getting an option to upgrade Creavures, so no this is not true.
    11-05-12 01:56 AM
    This morning I received an Upgrade notice for CreaVures (FREE OLD) and upon trying to upgrade, it requested my Blackberry password then failed to upgrade. I did the reboot and it's downloading like any other upgrade.

Confirmed: Reboot resolves upgrade issues with apps that are free for a limited time. OS 2.1.0.1088.
    11-05-12 02:03 PM
    yes, i ha the same, just enter "blackberry world-- then my world --- and hit "refresh list"" for me works ok
    02-15-13 01:16 PM
    yeah. I think who ever got em before nov 1 still has them free. I have done 2 sec swipes since and both times they are on my uninstalled list when checking reinstall they just start installing. only diff its the say shadowgun (free old) and creavures (free old)
    02-15-13 04:04 PM