During my free time (when i dont have to worry about upcoming exams and stuff) im going to try and learn a programming language and develop my first app for the playbook. I'm relatively new to programming, i have done the some for my A-level coursework but this was only using pascal.

I was wondering what you guys would like to see in an app and ill try see if i can make it happen for you guys
    03-22-12 03:38 PM
    For your first app, I highly recommend making a basic utility app. Something niche with limited features.
    03-22-12 03:40 PM
    You're throwing yourself to the wolves here I agree with the previous poster, keep it simple and create a basic app with not too many flashy features. I'm a firm believer in covering your bases. Start out slow and simple and take your time to learn the tools you'll use, you'll end up being a much better developer in the end. THEN bring on the flashy amazing powerapps
    sturgie likes this.
    03-22-12 03:45 PM
    sorry to hijack your thread, but i would like to ask what would be the best language to pick up if i want to develop future BB10 apps. I have no backgroud in I have a bit of time on my hand, would like to learn about how to start developing.
    03-22-12 03:57 PM
    sorry to hijack your thread, but i would like to ask what would be the best language to pick up if i want to develop future BB10 apps. I have no backgroud in I have a bit of time on my hand, would like to learn about how to start developing.
    You can develop in C++ or in HTML, JavaScript etc. (i.e. web technologies). Depending on whether you see either being more use in your everyday life may affect your choice. Personally I find HTML+JS easier, but it's also much more limited. If you want to make top quality apps, you should probably go for C++.
    03-22-12 04:04 PM
    I'm going to try learn C++ as I've heard from a friend that it's bets for game development. (he's a game developer himself)
    03-22-12 04:05 PM
    Your best choice IMO, would be actionscript and making native apps. It is much easier than C++ and also runs well on QNX. Webworks apps have subpar performance, so I wouldn't go that route.
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    03-22-12 05:00 PM
    How about a "wrong" or "NO" type buzzer, with a push and hold it gives you that annoying tone - like on game shows or that Drew Carey show ??
    zethaaron likes this.
    03-22-12 05:16 PM
    id like to put in a plug for actionscript myself here.

actionscript 3 has changed alot compared to actionscript 2, but its still pretty straightforward.

The great thing about Flash Professional CS5 is that its very viasually oriented. What this means is you can design a basic app or game with virtually no coding knowledge.

Obviously if you take the time to learn you will have higher quality apps and games, but for example a simple buzzer app or even a simple gun app is a cinch in Flash Professional CS5/actionscript 3
    03-22-12 05:28 PM
    How about a "wrong" or "NO" type buzzer, with a push and hold it gives you that annoying tone - like on game shows or that Drew Carey show ??
    would you pay 99 cents for that? if so I call dibbs!
    03-22-12 05:28 PM
    try this...

download a few note apps.. see how they implement great note taking and organising... copy that, but give the UI a full overhaul to make it look more professional. then make the icon in the style of RIM native apps.

there are good note taking apps out there but...
    XLabs Groovy notes is a great app, but too flashy, and too pricey for my needs
    Hello Note is to gaudy in its colour scheme, and the icon is awful
    Corkboard is my favourite note app so far, but its too childish looking.

All other note apps i've found are either terrible, or great but android ports and i refuse to use the android player.

And once you have made your app, charge a reasonable amount for it, $1 BUT, put a trial on too. because even if it is only $1 more people will buy if they can try before they buy. if people have to buy something without trying it they will always go reputable, and pay 5 times more for Xlabs offering, and you DO want to make coin dont you!
    juanyboomba likes this.
    03-22-12 05:51 PM
    I would like an app that gives me an update on the stock market that can run like a tool bar. If at all possible because I'm not happy with most of the stock apps available as you cannot fully customize them.
    Please and thank you
    03-22-12 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD