Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B5E52DF

Im about an inch to go away and get an iPad 2 sometimes... but the only thing keeping me with my blackberry playbook is that I really love the form factor (size, build quality) and also the extremely cool and nice community that Crackberry is.

If werent for this, I would have gotten rid of the PB already.
    CrackBerry User

1 = $1 is the reason I buy so few apps for my Playbook. The difference on a 2 app isn't much but I just feel like I'm being ripped off. In my case developers don't get more because of the exchange rate, they're getting less because I'm not buying their app at all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

india, 37 rs. = .99$ per RIM
    ofcouse actually 1$ is 50+ ruppees nowadays
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #29  

OK as an update I have conducted a little "market research" around the office.

Of the 20 people I asked - all of them own either an Android or iOS device.

2 of these are apple to the core (pardon the pun) so asking if they would move was futile.

The other 18 have moved platform and would again either to iOS, Android or BB10 if it is as good as I suggest. So far so good. So on to apps / games - Most of these users have about 4-5 games they want to keep that they play regular and wouldn't mind a sensible spend buying them again on another platform. Great! well maybe not - Angry Birds was the first question so I had to say it costs 5 the reaction was WHAT?????

SO RIM if you are listening, if you want to help people move to BB10 sort out App World UK pricing PRONTO!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B5E52DF

They better be listening
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  

Would like to think so, but if not... what is the best way to convey this to RIM?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by fbloise View Post
    Im about an inch to go away and get an iPad 2 sometimes... but the only thing keeping me with my blackberry playbook is that I really love the form factor (size, build quality) and also the extremely cool and nice community that Crackberry is.

If werent for this, I would have gotten rid of the PB already.
    Exactly what's been keeping me on it.

But I think i've reached that point where I'm going to get an iPad. It's not worth it for me anymore to spend this much on apps...
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by BearSnout View Post
    I'm afraid RIMis no different to anybody else on this. The entire industry is at it with few exceptions.
    Who exactly, as the others seems to be able to do a currency calculation, but RIM can't.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #34  

I have no issue paying developers for apps or games - I support their work!

I don't agree with paying more than the price set by developer, due to the conversion being so off from $ to
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by OffTheTangent View Post
    Exactly what's been keeping me on it.

But I think i've reached that point where I'm going to get an iPad. It's not worth it for me anymore to spend this much on apps...
    Wait, what? You are going to spend $400+ dollars MORE for a device to save a buck or two on apps... That makes perfect sense.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Wait, what? You are going to spend $400+ dollars MORE for a device to save a buck or two on apps... That makes perfect sense.
    If he buys enough apps or gets enough free alternatives to what are paid apps on PB, it could become worth it. But by that logic he should definitely get an Android tablet, because there are vastly more free apps on Android, and those that do cost are generally cheaper than iOS from what I've seen.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

Just to add insult to injury, I've just come back from a holiday in Portugal and 1 apps are €0.75 over there. At current exchange rates that's 62p. VAT there is also 23%. So apologies to the makers of Burn the City, NodeBeat and StuntPear but you got less from me than if I was paying in , but on the bright side I wouldn't have bought them at all at their price.
    Last edited by OneArmJack; 05-05-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    PIN
    292AF535

oh dear... oh dear oh dear, what a pain, RIM prices are ridiculous! Plants Vs Zombies costs 3 on Playbook and 4.99 on iTunes. unless hes downloaded the iphone low res version. you gotta pay premium prices for the HD versions you know.

so...
    Plants Vs Zombies, you paid 3, he paid 5 YOU WIN
    Monopoly, He paid 5 you paid 7 HE WINS

you both paid exactly 10 so far though, so its a draw... so far why would anyone laugh? makes no sense, you with me so far... now then.

you both paid the same amount for the games, BUT...
    if you bought your playbook recently, you paid a maximum price of 250 for your Playbook, He paid a MINIMUM of 400

you get to spend 150 in App world purchases to equal what he's paid, So before you consider comparing software prices, take a moment to laugh at your friend for getting ripped off on his hardware....

so who's laughing??
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #39  

Maybe that's where he got his price from for PvZ then, but really when $1 equates to 1 something is wrong. We should be getting actual exchange rates, how hard can it be to implement?

So.... I gave proxies a try and paid about two quid for monopoly and 50p for let's golf 2.

I have no issue paying / supporting developers, I do have issue with paying more than the developer intended just because live in the UK.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Just out of interest, what about a UK dev?

I'm not being argumentative, I'm just curious. I know how you feel, both as a consumer and a dev who priced an app to sell.

Knowing that a customer may pay USD1 or USD1.50 dependant on where they are when they buy is an awkward choice when pricing, in the same way that choosing to pay USD1.50 or USD1 if you have the ability to proxify your purchase is.

As a user, I decided to live with it. Especially when Plants vs Zombies was on offer!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #41  

Thanks for the insightful reply, im looking to generate debate and shine some light on the matter.

I just feel that with digital goods the usual rules on physical shipping / distribution costs go out the window. So whatever a dev decides to price their app at should be the price paid wherever you are in the world. Just let the payment system deal with the conversion / exchange.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by codiak View Post
    Just let the payment system deal with the conversion / exchange.
    I partly agree. Except that PayPal's exchange rates aren't necessarily the most competative available, and aren't defined by the fx market, so they could do whatever they please! I haven't yet received my first settlement from RIM for the sales I've made, so I'm not sure how the whole currency thing will pan out from a dev point of view.

This whole topic reminds me of a debate in the pub I had a few years ago with my mates. One guy was complaining at how the Euro "didn't work" as prices were difference from country to country, and then talk turned to localised market conditions (e.g. People were willing to pay more for French red wine in Switzerland than in France). I'm sure that the same happens in the US vis-a-vis different prices in different States.

As discussion (and visits to the bar!) continued, we eventually reached the (very slurred) conclusion that the only way there would be the same price for something would be when the aliens came to trade, leading to either a) Earth adopting a single unique currency or b) joining the galaxial monetary system.

(note - Apologies if this offends anyone with strong beliefs. We had been in the establishment for some hours before that conclusion was drawn!)
    CrackBerry User

French wine costs more in Switzerland because of import/distribution fees
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Apologies. I was using that as an example (and talking of wine, it was probably the wine that was talking that night!)
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Like SifJar said, there's an amount I could spend on apps that would bring the price into line. I've probably already spent at least $100 more than an American user. The apps are quite simply better value on there.

There are also other reasons, i'm not saying this is the only reason i'd move to iPad and that's why none of the Android tabs would cut it.
    CrackBerry Addict

dont forget though that prices in the uk are inclusive of VAT, US prices will have tax added on after.
    oil.....is it really worth it?
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Boskovic View Post
    French wine costs more in Switzerland because of import/distribution fees
    australian wine and beer costs more in australia than the uk....work that one out.
    CrackBerry Addict

i think the uk is the only country to include tax in the price, so a 1 app costs 0.88p plus 0.17p vat.

A $1 app would cost you a dollar PLUS the tax added afterwards, so with the exchange rate going up and down theres probably not a lot in it.
    CrackBerry User

Your maths is a little out there. Assuming RIM do charge VAT then a 1 app is 84p +VAT. The exchange rate has been around $1.60=1 for about 6 months, which would be 63p + VAT, or 75p. RIM are overcharging by 33%.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

The dev's would sell more apps if they were cheaper. Who in their right mind is going to spend 5 on one Angry Birds Game?

I own both a Playbook and an iPad.

People in the UK get ripped off all the time on everything, from food right up to consumer goods.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12