I know that PB is relatively small but it's still far from being comfortable to thump type on it. Can developers write a simple thumb keyboard app, please? Thanks.
    09-24-11 01:38 AM
    Even if somebody did, it wouldn't be usable. If you had the keyboard app open and running, it would be taking up the screen and the focus, so it's input would be limited to itself.

MAYBE with the native SDK somebody could do a theme or a re-skin of the built in keyboard. I have no idea if that functionality is possible, but it would be the only chance.
    09-24-11 02:17 AM
    It wold be cool to be able to use your smartphone as an input device. But the, alas, AIR SDK lacks APIs for Bluetooth and for inserting characters into the system event queue. If we are lucky, this will be possible at some point in the future. By "lucky" I mean: if RIM comes through for us and finally provides a complete set of tools in all supported SDKs.
    09-24-11 06:12 AM
    i too would love a thumb a thumb optimized keyboard! I had one on my Galaxy 7" tab and it did NOT take away the focus or too much screen. it was essentially the same screen real estate but it put more space between the "g" & "h", so there was less thumb stretch to hit those middle keys.
    09-24-11 08:38 AM
    I always thought the keyboard in portrait mode was pretty good for thumb typing…
    kbz1960 and ignites like this.
    09-24-11 09:38 AM
    It wold be cool to be able to use your smartphone as an input device. But the, alas, AIR SDK lacks APIs for Bluetooth and for inserting characters into the system event queue. If we are lucky, this will be possible at some point in the future. By "lucky" I mean: if RIM comes through for us and finally provides a complete set of tools in all supported SDKs.
    I am praying for this!! I really want to be able to leave my pb plugged into my stereo/tv system and then control the pb with my phone, ie control a mouse pointer with my bb optical pad and type with my bb keypad.

Can anyone confirm if the new native sdk gives access to bluetooth?
    10-01-11 04:01 PM
    I'd like to see a keyboard with a split down the middle. I can type fine when using the exterior letters, but thumb stretching to get a G or T can get annoying. Maybe even allow multiple distances, so someone with smaller hands could reach each button (and even though they would lose overall button size, if you have small hands hitting smaller buttons shouldn't be a problem).
    10-03-11 07:28 PM
    I always thought the keyboard in portrait mode was pretty good for thumb typing�
    THIS. I think the solution is if ALL APPS support portrait mode. Typing in landscape is a bit of a stretch for me.
    10-04-11 12:19 AM
    I don't envy the iPad very often, but seeing as though the PB in landscape is a similar width to the iPad, I like the feature where you can split the keyboard to make it easier to type with your thumbs. Getting to the keys in the middle is a bit of a stretch currently.
    10-04-11 08:40 AM
    I don't see how it is possible with current development tools.
    It's currently impossible due to the security restrictions RIM has enforced (key logging and communication with third-party apps are not possible).
    10-04-11 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD