I thought I would share this.

I've been searching for solutions for keeping the screen alive while driving and using the Navigator app. I've seen several work arounds on this forum and I've played with the settings.

I emailed the developer regarding the issue and whether there is a setting I'm not using properly, or is it possible etc. ...and this was their reply.

"Hello,

Thanks for bringing this issue to us.

I assume you're using this app on the playbook. unfortunately, the screen timeout is playbook OS issue. It has been resolved in the new blackberry 10 OS which will come to playbook soon, as we've heard.

Thanks again."

That's all I have.... but this might help those who are pulling their hair out because they can't get the screen to stay active on Navigator.

Mind you, other developers have figured it out.... but maybe because the Navigator app is an Android port is a reason why it has that bug.
    03-20-13 10:29 AM
    I don't have an answer (I don't have Navigator ) but is the one you are using purchased through App / Blackberry World?
    Also curious how do you like the App, pros cons?
    03-20-13 01:45 PM
    Yes, i purchased the app via App world.

For $6.99...and when you think about actual navi products - its pretty good.

It takes sometime to get use to - i dont find it overly intuitive... It took me while to figure out how to get directions....mind you i didn't read the instructions, but certain apps i would think should be pretty self explanatory.

What i dont like about it is that when i'm sitting at an intersection it seems like the app is trying to figure which way i'm facing....the map starts rotating. Another thing i noticed is that while i'm driving the map zooms in and out.

So a couple annoyances....but again.... I bought an app for $6.99 for turn by turn offline maps as opposed to spending $100+ on a TomTom or something similar.

I like it and i would recommend it.... As long as you remember you purchased a $7 piece of software.

Hopefully the update to BB10 will iron out the little bugs.
    03-20-13 02:33 PM
    Yes What i dont like about it is that when i'm sitting at an intersection it seems like the app is trying to figure which way i'm facing....the map starts rotating. Another thing i noticed is that while i'm driving the map zooms in and out..
    You can disable speed autozoom and map autocenter in settings. I agree that the app is not very intuitive but a quick reading of the manual is all it takes to learn how to use the app efficiently, also I recommend going trough the settings they are pretty much self explanatory.

Also, relevant:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=770748
    03-20-13 05:18 PM
    For what it's worth, though I don't have Navigator, but from the screen shots of it in app world, it looks to be an adaption of the open source navigation app Osmand, which is also available in app world (for free). Why someone would pay for a copy when the original is free is beyond me, unless someone can point out how Navigator is better than Osmand. I was also curious about the legality of Navigator's developer charging for an app that seemingly uses Osmand's source code, and apparently is is OK to do so under Osmand's license. However, the license also stipulates that anyone who legitimately acquires the app is free to redistribute it, for free or otherwise, without limitation. So, does anyone have the bar file, since posting it or linking to it would not be piracy?.
    03-20-13 09:37 PM
    I tried Osmand and at the time it didn't work for me. I couldn't get the maps I wanted at all...i tried it first and it didn't work.

Nogago which is free but doesn't support travel by car is similar as well.
    03-20-13 09:48 PM
    I Tried Osmond as well but that thing was so far off it wasn't funny
    03-20-13 09:55 PM
    Funny, I've heard that before about Osmand, but the app generally works well for me. Offline routing and navigation can be a little off, but only in that that the quickest way to navigate is not necessaily using the shortest route. Otherwise, though, it will get you where you're going.
    03-20-13 10:08 PM
    I've been using this app for about a year with partial success. It's great to have the maps on your device and I use it often when I'm driving any distance. However, it's often unable to work out a route unless it's reasonably simple and even then the route usually just works you over to the nearest major road even if it's well out of your way. To get around the screen time-out I have Battery Guru running with its Keep Awake switch on and then I swipe up to the carousel view with Navigator in the centre and Battery Guru off to the side. The cursor continues to progress while on the carousel view and then I tap the screen to see it full size, As long as Battery Guru is visible the PlayBook will stay on and Navigator will continue to plot your course. It's less than ideal but it's my best solution.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 10:30 PM