theres gotta be a sms mms app on the bb playbook to.send to friend on different cell phone providers?
    05-12-11 03:58 AM
    Not yet.
    05-12-11 06:13 AM
    Google voice works for this right now, but that's about as good as it gets currently.

Guessing SMS will never be a native thing as the PB has no phone number, but I bet we see it as a bridge application in time.
    05-12-11 12:06 PM
    When talking with Playbook Support, level 3 (engineers) they told me that bridge sms service will be coming down the road.
    lyricidal likes this.
    05-12-11 12:21 PM
    You can download the App Firmen-SMS (uhmmm know German for the registration on the website.) Gives you a SMS capable number from Europe, but I did send test msgs to friends in the US and Canada. Seems to work.
    05-12-11 12:30 PM
    now im starting to miss my ipad 2. i had an app that gave me a free local phone number and allowed you to send sms mms and even make a phone call over wifi they really need to bring something like this over here asap.
    rsmit107 likes this.
    05-12-11 02:40 PM
    I found this, which is a PC based application, which wont work....but surly it could be made to work as the bridge already does most of this...via bluetooth..

BlackBerry App World - Blurts - Caller ID on your PC

I neeeeeeeed to send SMS from my playbook....I have a pearl and fat fingers = fail.
    05-24-11 12:41 AM
    When talking with Playbook Support, level 3 (engineers) they told me that bridge sms service will be coming down the road.
    Well that sounds familiar.

Nevertheless, I hope they're right.
    05-24-11 12:50 AM
    Here is a link that lists the addresses to send a text message as an email. Keep in mind that not all of these will work, since quite a few are old companies that have gone through mergers and acquisitions.

SMTP Email Settings
    05-24-11 01:11 AM
    You can very easily to do this by using MessageGateway - Email to SMS and PIN application.

MessageGateway – Email to SMS and PIN Application for BlackBerry | Sulata.Mobi

Or search for the "MessageGateway - Email to SMS and PIN" on AppWorld or CrackBerry store. You will get this application from the vendor "Sulata".

You need to install and configure this on your BB phone. What this application does is send emails received from a predefined email address to the phone number in the subject live.

You just simple create a special email address for this purpose and configure on your BB phone.

Then from your PlayBook, send email to this email address, type phone number in subject line and send the mail.

Your SMS will be sent in no time.

This URL below gives step by step instructions.

http://sulata.mobi/how-to-send-sms-t...erry-playbook/
    Last edited by tabarry; 06-21-11 at 10:49 PM.
    06-21-11 10:44 PM
    +1 for Google Voice
    06-21-11 11:07 PM
    There is a new Android app called localphone that allow to make phone calls and send text messages over wi-fi or 3g it just needs to be converted to see if would work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....localphoneapp
    05-16-12 09:47 AM
    The Android app Textplus that was described in this thread works very well for US and Canada cell numbers.
    05-16-12 11:50 AM
    Rumor has it the bridge 2.1 update brings sms/mms.
    05-16-12 12:03 PM
    Any app to send free sms in Mexico using a playbook?
    05-26-13 07:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD