Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Syntax: A Programmer's Editor and General-Use Editor

This evening I stumbled across a text editor called Syntax which acts as a general purpose text editor and a programming language syntax highlighting editor. I had been using another text editor application called PlainTextEditor up to this point. Syntax appears more polished and if you inadvertently close the application you are prompted about saving the file or exiting the application without saving the document.

Edit: Syntax is a text editor for the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    Last edited by BB9700CA; 12-20-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Thanked by:
    travisredpath (12-23-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

I've long use SciTE, which is a free multiplatform text editor with numerous features. It's very fast, and has one key feature I rely on: if the window loses focus, files are saved automatically. After using this for years, I can't function effectively with an editor that makes me hit Ctrl-S or whatever just to save my files. It feels as klunky and old hat as a Home button on a smartphone.

I'm using Sublime Text 2 now for a number of reasons. It has a save-on-loss-of-focus feature very similar to that of SciTE, and many other niceties. Worth the price, I think, though it's not as fast to launch as SciTE so that one is still here and getting a bit of use.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts

Both SciTE and Sublime Text 2 are stricly desktop editors if memory serves me correctly (and maybe Meego since it supports GTK). Syntax is an editor for the Playbook.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Is there a way to paste text copied from another open application to the edit buffer of Syntax? For example, I am copying some content from a resume in Docs-to-Go and pasting it into Syntax, but even the usual press on the screen until the copy-cut-past pop-up window appears but there is no paste option.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts

There are copy/paste buttons on the very right hand side of the menu when it is closed.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by travisredpath View Post
    There are copy/paste buttons on the very right hand side of the menu when it is closed.
    Thank you, my previous failed attempts to use those buttons proved to be user error (ID10T). Appreciate the quick response. I have another question: Would it be possible to offer an option to change the cursor shape from the default vertical line (|) to an underscore or solid block character to enhance its visibility?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    Would it be possible to offer an option to change the cursor shape from the default vertical line (|) to an underscore or solid block character to enhance its visibility?
    If I was to increase the width of the caret and give you options for the colour so it works with different background colours would that work? It is a known issue with Qt that the caret will quite often not show up at all when the app starts (pressing enter then backspace makes it appear usually) and this change would also fix that.

Syntax: A Programmer's Editor and General-Use Editor-img_00000101.jpg
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by travisredpath View Post
    If I was to increase the width of the caret and give you options for the colour so it works with different background colours would that work? It is a known issue with Qt that the caret will quite often not show up at all when the app starts (pressing enter then backspace makes it appear usually) and this change would also fix that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000101.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	129262
    Hey Travis. I already make use of the ability to change the background and text colours; that is not the issue w.r.t. to cursor shape. I can see the vertical bar-shaped cursor but it tends to blend into the surrounding text which gave rise to my earlier feature request. The cursor not immediately appearing upon launch is a minor issue in my opinion whereas allowing the user to choose the cursor style (vertical bar, underscore, or block) would enhance its visibility when in use especially when the cursor is in the midst of a screen filled with text. Having used this application for a few days it is one of my go-to applications on a regular basis; the ability to navigate to files on both the BlackBerry PlayBook and the BlackBerry smartphone via BlackBerry Bridge is a nice touch. Keep up the good work!

By the way, would you be willing to create a tutorial for the development of a BlackBerry PlayBook application built using QT? I am certain potential developers, including myself, for this tablet will appreciate the effort it you have some time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts

The cursor not immediately appearing upon launch is a minor issue in my opinion whereas allowing the user to choose the cursor style (vertical bar, underscore, or block) would enhance its visibility when in use especially when the cursor is in the midst of a screen filled with text.
    I can make the cursor wider and give it different effects but I run into the problem that Qt stops clearing it properly sometimes if I make it too big. So, althogh most of the time it acts as a regular cursor, sometimes it ghosts in the editable area and you can see part of the cursor on the last line you were on. I am trying to find a fix but unfortunately it is proving difficult to do so I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. Sorry.

By the way, would you be willing to create a tutorial for the development of a BlackBerry PlayBook application built using QT?
    I would make a tutorial but I don't think that I could do the platform justice, I'm just not that good at writing things up (my Masters supervisor says I'm a great researcher but I suck at putting things to paper ). I can at least try to answer any question that you have though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts

I guess I spoke too soon, I figured out how to get the custom caret working properly. I have included an underscore caret but I think when you see it you will be dissapointed. Hopefully one of the other styles will work for you though. I've also got the caret blinking now, it was just static previously. This should help keep track of its location as well. I have submitted a new version to App World with this addition plus a couple of others so hopefully it will get approved sometime this week.