View Poll Results: Should Crackberry make a special Book Reader super-section?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - that would be a great service

39 70.91%
  • No - not needed

9 16.36%
  • Don't care either way

7 12.73%
    Do you think that Crackberry should create a special Playbook super section for book readers (instead of just having variuous threads spread thru the "Apps" section? (is sub-forum the right name for this?)

After checking out my local library's options for borrowing (which despite names like Kobo, Kindle for Blackberry and Adobe, are not at all compatible with the Playbook) I think that would make it easier for users to know what's possible/not.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 02-18-12 at 11:06 PM. Reason: sp; added sub-forum question
    luigigosc likes this.
    02-05-12 10:31 PM
    appWorld ebooks have been floooooded with otherwise freebee stuff from one 'developer'.
    Many of these books are available FREE from
    ARCHIVE.ORG Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

To answer the OP's concern, by isolating these books, the book 'readers' will be easier to identify.

The paid e-books SHOULD be isolated to their own sub-set of e-books AND banned from the NEWEST app section.

In a similar way, "full" maps in memory should have their own sub-set of maps and mapping. (Also, from one 'developer')
    Last edited by mandony; 02-05-12 at 10:47 PM.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-05-12 10:42 PM
    appWorld ebooks have been floooooded with otherwise freebee stuff from one 'developer'.
    Many of these books are available FREE from
    ARCHIVE.ORG Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

To answer the OP's concern, by isolating these books, the book 'readers' will be easier to identify.

The paid e-books SHOULD be isolated to their own sub-set of e-books AND banned from the NEWEST app section.

In a similar way, "full" maps in memory should have their own sub-set of maps and mapping. (Also, from one 'developer')
    The OP is talking about Crackberry having a separate forum section for ebooks, not App World.
    02-06-12 10:50 AM
    The OP is talking about Crackberry having a separate forum section for ebooks, not App World.
    Although thats a good idea too
    02-06-12 05:35 PM
    What you gonna put in there?? Links to project guttenburg and then the like?? Stuff about the reader apps themselves should go in the apps bit, anything more in a thread, but not whole forum...
    ... and yes I do use my PB for reading on (a lot) just don't think it's needed.
    02-07-12 12:15 AM
    What you gonna put in there?? Links to project guttenburg and then the like?? Stuff about the reader apps themselves should go in the apps bit, anything more in a thread, but not whole forum...
    ... and yes I do use my PB for reading on (a lot) just don't think it's needed.
    I think that one whole "everything" PB Apps folder is just too big for a major topic like this. I'd like to be able to browse thru major categories (like Book Readers), instead of having to search thru 3000 threads (93 pages) of app postings. Yup, that's what's in the PB Apps folder today.

I'd put in it: any posts on different reader apps, reviews on reader apps, tips on using public libraries, improvement ideas, sources for legit free books, ...

Browsing is easier than doing a search
    (Try a CB search for "book reader" -- and you'll get a whopping 3,590 hits ! -- who can browse thru that?).
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 02-07-12 at 01:06 AM. Reason: add 3590
    02-07-12 12:52 AM
    I think that one whole "everything" PB Apps folder is just too big for a major topic like this. I'd like to be able to browse thru major categories (like Book Readers), instead of having to search thru 3000 threads (93 pages) of app postings. Yup, that's what's in the PB Apps folder today.

I'd put in it: any posts on different reader apps, reviews on reader apps, tips on using public libraries, improvement ideas, sources for legit free books, ...

Browsing is easier than doing a search
    (Try a CB search for "book reader" -- and you'll get a whopping 3,590 hits ! -- who can browse thru that?).
    Well i went to the apps and games forum - option to search this forum, search term book reader, shearch titles only... And got 10 results.

There are only half a dozen reader apps or so. We going to have an action games section, puzzle games, maps and gps, music and video apps ?? - you could go on forever imo
    02-07-12 01:14 AM
    Well i went to the apps and games forum - option to search this forum, search term book reader, shearch titles only... And got 10 results.

There are only half a dozen reader apps or so. We going to have an action games section, puzzle games, maps and gps, music and video apps ?? - you could go on forever imo
    We must be different. In just PB Apps and Games, a "reader" search = 284 hits, and "book" = 207 hits.

I would like all the sub-forums that you mention - again, browsing is easier than searching. IMO. But we are all different.
    02-07-12 01:45 AM
    voted "yes" not because i think i'd use it, but rather because it would declutter the real applications section.
    05Mustang likes this.
    02-07-12 04:40 AM
    voted "yes" not because i think i'd use it, but rather because it would declutter the real applications section.
    It really is becoming more about the Apps - not as a reason to buy a PB vs competing model -- BUT "what am I going to buy/download to add to my PB". So jedibeeftrix is right - there is so much clutter.

So as CB moves from being mostly about the Playbook - to being about Apps for the Playbook, we need sub-forums to cut the clutter.
    (if you doubt the above statement, look at the CB view counts. PB has 224,000 views vs 45,000 for the Apps sub-forum - I predict that this ratio will close in the months ahead).
    02-08-12 01:05 AM
    Should CB add a separate super-section for ebook reading posts within the Apps & Games forum?
    So far 67% of you say "yes",
    18% say "no", and
    15% say it does not matter to them.
    02-10-12 10:32 PM
    I think for now the games and apps sub forum should be divided into 3 sections
    Games
    Apps
    Book Readers

Although the book readers are clearly apps (as one can argue are the games) it is a totally separate function for the Playbook and has a multitude of issues unique to book reading
    glassofpinot likes this.
    02-11-12 07:46 AM
    Updated
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Should CB add a separate super-section for ebook reading posts within PB Apps & Games forum?
    So far 71% of you say "yes",
    18% say "no", and
    12% say doesn't matter
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 02-12-12 at 02:47 AM.
    02-12-12 12:42 AM
    Updated
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Should CB add a separate super-section for ebook reading posts within PB Apps & Games forum?
    So far 71% of you say "yes",
    18% say "no", and
    15% say doesn't matter
    104% in all?? just pulling your leg...
    glassofpinot likes this.
    02-12-12 12:51 AM
    Updated
    --------
    Should CB add a separate sub-section for ebook reading posts within PB "Apps & Games" forum? So far...
    68% of you say "yes",
    18% say "no",
    14% say doesn't matter

(Feb 15th pm)
    (either to help group the ebook-read posts in one same place, OR to get these out of all the other posts)
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 02-15-12 at 06:33 PM. Reason: update latest %
    02-13-12 05:42 PM
    Just dropped in to say I hate digital-media-books
    02-14-12 01:32 AM
    Just dropped in to say I hate digital-media-books
    Me too! But think the OP was on about reader apps rather thgan this rubish.

There's a few dodgy looking new similar submissions for the AP on app world - diskworld, harry potter etc, for free... Looks a bit dubious to me.

Still think splitting the books bit into another forum is a bit OTT. I mean I know the poll is in favour of it, but there's hardly been a huge response either way tbh and it's a lot of work for 20-30 forum users... Just my 2p fwiw
    02-14-12 02:59 AM
    Oh, and @OP, I'm pleased you updated your last post, cos when I read it first it added up to 99% and I had to REALLY bite my tongue not to pull you about it (again)
    02-14-12 03:02 AM
    Oh, and @OP, I'm pleased you updated your last post, cos when I read it first it added up to 99% and I had to REALLY bite my tongue not to pull you about it (again)
    It won't always be 100. There is rounding.
    02-14-12 08:23 PM
    Updated poll results
    --------
    Should CB add a separate sub-section for ebook reading posts within PB "Apps & Games" forum? So far...
    71% of you say "yes",
    16% say "no",
    13% say doesn't matter

(Feb 17th pm)
    (Why? -- either to help group the ebook-read posts in one same place, OR to get these out of all the other posts)
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 02-19-12 at 10:20 PM. Reason: update%
    02-17-12 09:34 PM
    We have forums for Apps / Games / Themes / Music / Movies / Ringtones.... I think an addition for Books is fine. It's very much a type of "media" vs. a type of App. I wouldn't build it within the PlayBook forum or PlayBook apps forum, but would be a standalone forum down the page besides Music / Movies, etc. Especially over the next year as we move into BB10... the PlayBook distinction will go away as it'll apply to multiple devices.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    02-18-12 05:16 PM
    We have forums for Apps / Games / Themes / Music / Movies / Ringtones.... I think an addition for Books is fine. It's very much a type of "media" vs. a type of App. I wouldn't build it within the PlayBook forum or PlayBook apps forum, but would be a standalone forum down the page besides Music / Movies, etc. Especially over the next year as we move into BB10... the PlayBook distinction will go away as it'll apply to multiple devices.
    Thanks Kevin. You are always looking ahead, so you are right when we get to BB10.
    For now, the Playbook forum is so huge that it takes multiple pages to scroll just one day's threads with posts! That has to make you smile.
    02-18-12 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD