CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    PIN
    502A43C3
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Spare Phone for Playbook...

The Google Voice app Spare Phone is now available for the Playbook in Blackberry World for $2.99.

Global Posts
    30,810 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

CrackBerry Abuser

Niccccceeeesssssss
    I'll have to give it a look see

Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Now I feel like my PlayBook is complete.

I've been looking for a way to make calls on my PlayBook. ePhone was okay, but has a very cumbersome interface. Even though it is an Android port, it works quite well and calls sound clear.

By having this and the side loaded Google Voice app, I now have calls, voice mail, and texting from my Google Voice number all on my PlayBook!

Posted via CB10
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Abuser

Will the app open up if someone calls you or do you have to have the app open to receive calls?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    PIN
    502A43C3
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by GV2012 View Post
    Will the app open up if someone calls you or do you have to have the app open to receive calls?
    You need a number to call in and only in the US can you get a free phone number to use with Goggle Voice apps.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by sjc1963 View Post
    You need a number to call in and only in the US can you get a free phone number to use with Goggle Voice apps.
    OK, I am seriously considering buying the app and the quoted makes sense and well understood - I DO have the GV phone number that I have not really used much.

My question though is - will I be able to make free calls using my PlayBook and have a bidirectional voice conversation using the app (yes, withing the US as is currently the limiting option), calling from the free GV phone number?

The question stems from my inability to make such calls from my windows PC via a web interface (perhaps I am not doing something right), but the only option I saw was to call an outbound phone was by using one of the numbers I currently own (from t-mobile) and configured into the Google Voice, or from a Google Talk, which I do not currently have...

Would appreciate if anyone can explain...IOW, I need an independent, stand-alone means to call someone via a web based PlayBook app (don't really care about receiving a call). Can this app do it?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Quote Originally Posted by GV2012 View Post
    You have to open the app up at least once. If you minimize the app and then close it, it will actually still be running (since it is an Android app). If you back out of the app (which will minimize it), it may log out and won't accept calls. I've minimized it (swiping up), closed it out by pressing the X in the lower corner and it opened back up automatically when a call came in. If you restart the PlayBook, the app won't restart automatically, so you have to stay out again.

My Google Voice number is separate from my mobile number, so making and receiving phone calls is completely separate from my mobile number and doesn't tie into my plan minutes. It is also full duplex, so I can hear and talk at the same time. Most of the time, I use a headset to hear better. I know some people have their Google Voice number tired to their mobile number, but I don't know how that affects things.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    PIN
    502A43C3
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    You have to open the app up at least once. If you minimize the app and then close it, it will actually still be running (since it is an Android app). If you back out of the app (which will minimize it), it may log out and won't accept calls. I've minimized it (swiping up), closed it out by pressing the X in the lower corner and it opened back up automatically when a call came in. If you restart the PlayBook, the app won't restart automatically, so you have to stay out again.

My Google Voice number is separate from my mobile number, so making and receiving phone calls is completely separate from my mobile number and doesn't tie into my plan minutes. It is also full duplex, so I can hear and talk at the same time. Most of the time, I use a headset to hear better. I know some people have their Google Voice number tired to their mobile number, but I don't know how that affects things.
    In the options you can uncheck the option to logout and exit on BACK. I have Spare Phone on my Android TV box but not on my Playbook yet. Since I don't live in the US I don't have a number for incoming calls.

For Android tablets there is a version for them now as well for $4.99.
    CrackBerry Master

Would I be able to use Spare Phone to:

1. Call numbers in the U.S., over wifi, while abroad? For free?
    2. Add credit to Google Voice and call international numbers?

Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

Despite being skeptical, bought the app, entered my google voice account (a yahoo emal adress) and the p/w, made sure all settings are in default....trying to make my first TEST call to my cell #....dead silence. noticed the upper left corner red warning,
    'log-in failed, check'. went to settings and made sure everything was entered correctly. it was. 2nd attempt - same dead silence. went to my lap top and logged in to google voice - no problems whatsoever to log in. logged out at lap top and tried the PB call with spare phone again. Dead silence...

Assuming perhaps the android player did not install the app properly, I deleted it (both in appworld and on the screen) and re-installed after a reboot. Dead silence again and the same warning about a failed log in.

what is the problem ?

is the android port not ready for PB?
    Last edited by rational_mind; 05-01-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    PIN
    502A43C3
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by rational_mind View Post
    Despite being skeptical, bought the app, entered my google voice account (a yahoo emal adress) and the p/w, made sure all settings are in default....trying to make my first TEST call to my cell #....dead silence. noticed the upper left corner red warning,
    'log-in failed, check'. went to settings and made sure everything was entered correctly. it was. 2nd attempt - same dead silence. went to my lap top and logged in to google voice - no problems whatsoever to log in. logged out at lap top and tried the PB call with spare phone again. Dead silence...

Assuming perhaps the android player did not install the app properly, I deleted it (both in appworld and on the screen) and re-installed after a reboot. Dead silence again and the same warning about a failed log in.

what is the problem ?

is the android port not ready for PB?
    Maybe you're suppose to log in using a GMAIL account from, you know, Google?
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbvinh View Post
    Would I be able to use Spare Phone to:

1. Call numbers in the U.S., over wifi, while abroad? For free?
    2. Add credit to Google Voice and call international numbers?

Thanks!
    1. So far, yes, I can verify that you can make a call over wifi abroad (Bangkok) to the U.S. for free. I can't vouch for quality yet, since I was in a hallway and sounded as such to the other person.

Edit 1:

With the PlayBook held about one foot away, the other person said my voice volume was fine. They could hear ambient noises around me. They could also hear their own voice echoed back. The first problem could be remedied with a mic inline with headphones. Just a headphone eliminated the echo for them, for obvious reasons.

Minimizing and/or blanking out the screen didn't affect the call.

Still to test:

1. Receiving a call.
    2. International calling.
    Last edited by cbvinh; 05-06-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    CrackBerry User

I saw an update to the app in the AppWorld...After the download, I can not tell what has changed.

Does anyone know ?

BTW, the manual dialing works fine, but adding contacts or calling from contacts still not possible.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sjc1963 View Post
    Maybe you're suppose to log in using a GMAIL account from, you know, Google?
    I had the same question for the developer: it only works when your account is attached to a gmail account. Since I really don't need another email, I just created one: myname.alias@gmail.com. That way it's there as a placeholder, but for the few other Google related things I need I can still use the original email I created the account under. After that, it's worked like a champ.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    PIN
    502A43C3
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by cbvinh View Post
    1. So far, yes, I can verify that you can make a call over wifi abroad (Bangkok) to the U.S. for free. I can't vouch for quality yet, since I was in a hallway and sounded as such to the other person.

Edit 1:

With the PlayBook held about one foot away, the other person said my voice volume was fine. They could hear ambient noises around me. They could also hear their own voice echoed back. The first problem could be remedied with a mic inline with headphones. Just a headphone eliminated the echo for them, for obvious reasons.

Minimizing and/or blanking out the screen didn't affect the call.

Still to test:

1. Receiving a call.
    2. International calling.
    It does have an echo cancel option as well as at what level also.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Spare Phone is working very well for me in Canada.
    However, I have experienced the same problem mentioned with the echo at the other end. They could hear their own voice echoed back, which made the conversation very difficult. Once I installed headphone on my side, the echo was gone and the call quality was excellent.
    I tried many different setting of the Echo Cancel option and Echo Level without any success.
    I would appreciate any information on how to eliminate the Echo at the other end without using headphone.
    This is a great application and looking forward to be able to get a phone number in Canada (like those in the USA).