Mr. Or Ms Spacelings, is there any reason the older version can not be left alone and available to reload to those that purchased it but do not want to upgrade?
    I'll definitely ask the tek and business guys tomorrow. The symptoms described by boight are more than a little concerning and something that really needs looking into.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-10-12 12:45 PM
    Hello. I�m the designer of Spacelings and this is a genuinely heart-breaking thread.
    I want to thank you for taking the time to explain what was changed/added/worked-on in the revision to your game. I really wish that information had been available when the upgrade went live as it certainly answers my criticism; namely, to provide a change log so that consumers knew what we were being asked to pay for in the upgrade.

Oh, and speaking for myself, if my comments were seen as offensive or heart-breaking to you; than I sincerely apologize - I certainly did not mean it to be taken in that way.

Thank you again for taking the time to come on here and provide the information.
    Spacelings@hotgen likes this.
    07-10-12 01:11 PM
    Hello. I�m the designer of Spacelings and this is a genuinely heart-breaking thread.
    It is. People need to think before they speak. Email the dev questions, not just jump to conclusions. I assure you, most of us are a fair bit more intelligent and understanding of how the world really works.
    07-10-12 01:30 PM
    What an excellent explanation.

Can't understand why can't find out what an upgrade is on the PlayBook Apple store yet upgrades on my Torch Apple store are.

Go figure.

Anyway will now pop overtones the Application strode and upgrade for�1.yes,us Britain get screwed again.
    07-11-12 05:41 AM
    App store!!!!!!

Not bloody Apple anything thank you very much.
    07-11-12 05:44 AM
    07-11-12 09:25 AM
    I'll definitely ask the tek and business guys tomorrow. The symptoms described by boight are more than a little concerning and something that really needs looking into.
    Okay, this is a complicated issue and not easy to fix.
    So, we've submitted update 2.1.1 to RIM and it's going to be FREE to download for existing users wishing to upgrade. This should hopefully go live before the weekend.

While we�re bound to upset some users who�ve already bought the upgrade (and we apologize to any that are reading this) and make a loss because of development costs we feel this is the best solution to keep most people happy. We also hope that this may encourage new sales

We�ve learned some important lessons from this episode and I�d like to take the opportunity to thank all those here that made constructive comments.

So, if you liked Spacelings grab the update when it�s available� and if you like what we�ve done, please spread the word!
    07-11-12 10:40 AM
    I will be purchasing due to your response and feedback here. Thanks
    07-11-12 10:55 AM
    Because of your response I did try to purchase the upgrade. Fwiw I think you're doing the right thing. And because of that I am looking forward to purchasing your next app.

I hope CrackBerry features Spacelings in a post. It's deserving on its own merit but more because of the effort you made towards us. I thank you for that as well.

Edited to add... I see that you do have a couple other apps in App World. I purchased Tofu and it's pretty cool as well. I'll keep an eye out for your next app. I truly hope your decision here works to your advantage.
    Last edited by castleruins; 07-11-12 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Additional information
    07-11-12 12:08 PM
    Okay, this is a complicated issue and not easy to fix.

So, we've submitted update 2.1.1 to RIM and it's going to be FREE to download for existing users wishing to upgrade. This should hopefully go live before the weekend.

While we�re bound to upset some users who�ve already bought the upgrade (and we apologize to any that are reading this) and make a loss because of development costs we feel this is the best solution to keep most people happy. We also hope that this may encourage new sales

We�ve learned some important lessons from this episode and I�d like to take the opportunity to thank all those here that made constructive comments.

So, if you liked Spacelings grab the update when it�s available� and if you like what we�ve done, please spread the word!
    Thanks for the free update, i was willing to pay for the upgrade since it looked like a hefty size difference, however I wasn't able to buy the update as the "purchase" button was unresponsive whenever pushed.

Has anyone else have this problem? All free updates can be upgraded without any problem, but its only with purchase updates..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spiculated; 07-12-12 at 12:58 AM.
    07-11-12 09:52 PM
    I presume this is a problem with App World (yet again), but now when I try to apply the update (the newer update), I get the following message: "Install Error (0004): There was a problem during installation. Please try again."

And stupidly, I thought that maybe I should delete the app, restart my Playbook, and then reinstall the app. Same error and now I dont even have the game on my system

Any ideas of what to do?
    07-12-12 09:29 AM
    now when I try to apply the update (the newer update), I get the following message: "Install Error (0004): There was a problem during installation. Please try again."
    The new, free update should be live now.
    Is anyone still having problems?
    07-12-12 11:28 AM
    I see that the the new update has gone live; unfortunatley, I am still receiving the error message saying "Install Error (0004): There was a problem during installation. Please try again".

I tweeted @Blackberryhelp the problem this morning but have yet to receive a response. I'm not sure if anyone else is having problems as well.
    07-12-12 11:50 AM
    Hmmm, this is annoying and definitely looks like something's wrong on the Store end. I'll pass on the issue to our tek guy but unfortunately we may not going to be able to do anything about it till tomorrow.

It might be a good idea to contact our support email service too- I think you can do this via the store- this will keep things official with us and may help us expediate a solution to this mess.

Sorry about this. I hope it gets resolved soon.
    07-12-12 12:01 PM

worked fine for me, on OS 2.1 beta

07-12-12 12:17 PM
    Thanks for the free update, i was willing to pay for the upgrade since it looked like a hefty size difference, however I wasn't able to buy the update as the "purchase" button was unresponsive whenever pushed.

Has anyone else have this problem? All free updates can be upgraded without any problem, but its only with purchase updates..

I had the same problem yes... Didn't mind paying for the update but it just wouldn't let me purchase it.
    07-12-12 01:10 PM
    I wasn't willing to pay before, but now that I know what the upgrade is I'd be willing to pay $5 easily for it! And to the developer: as upsetting as this thread may be, keep in mind that people didn't make such a huge deal about any other paid upgrade, so I guess this thread shows just how much people love the app (and their money), otherwise they'd just delete it if the upgrade notification bothered them (I've done that with a few apps where I didn't think they were worth the extra money). One thing to maybe try next time though would be to get the upgrade approved, but then update the description to say "in an update to version x.x coming soon:" before making the update live. I do feel that a lot of this would have been avoided if we'd have known upfront what we were getting for the price.

Anyway, nice to see the developer here, big fan of your games. I've had Spacelings, ToFu and ToFu 2 for around a year, and I still play them, so clearly you're doing something right on the design/programming front!
    07-12-12 03:19 PM
    A fix is forthcoming!

Quick update:
    It seems that all the INSTALL ERROR (0004) problems stem from the 2.1 paid for update, even making the newest update free wouldn't fix it as you'd still have to go through the entire upgrade path first.
    To cut a long story short, we've been in touch with Blackberry and hopefully have a fix that should come into play after midnight tonight EST.
    Thankyou you all for your patience and words of support and I hope this all works out (at last)

If anyone does continue to have problems, please pop an email off to
    [email protected]
    and our nice tek guys will get on the case!
    Thank you all again, sorry for any inconvenience and have fun!
    Last edited by Spacelings@hotgen; 07-13-12 at 09:51 AM.
    Jean-luc_Picard and Darlaten like this.
    07-13-12 09:47 AM
    Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but this is what happens when devs get screwed over by cheap people.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...play-spam.html
    07-13-12 03:39 PM
    I was able to upgrade without any issue after the Upgrade became free. Thanks for this wonderful update. I have all your games in App world and love all of them.
    07-15-12 11:30 PM
    Any problems on my end have now been worked out - updated now without any problems. Thanks for all of the work involved in this.
    07-16-12 09:38 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD