I can state that a book (books) can make this process a no go. I've bought the first Abarat book from Clive Barker just a few weeks ago. Now after this little outage and reinstalling of my library I find out now that the book has been deleted from their website.

It still shows up on the "I'm Reading" tab where clicking on it gives me the detailed info of the book. Removing this particular book from the list makes the syncing on the PlayBook complete.

My PC and laptop can both download this book just fine. As soon as my PlayBook tries to get this book into my library it goes into spinning wheel mode again.

I've asked the "great" people @Kobo by e-mail what's up with that and if they see a fix/refund for that particular book so that I can buy another version of it.... Which I don't really want to do because it actually matches the cover of the 2nd book that I bought.. But luckily, it's still not 24 hours ago... But I think it might take longer for them to give a reaction on my question.

I hope they fix this/get this straightened out so that, maybe, just maybe, they might be able to make some more money of me... I still love my Kindle DX tbh, but having to get a credit card only for that is a no go for me.... Amazon should give the option to use PayPal too. :'(
    That's interesting.

Is the book completely deleted from the site. I mean can you find it looking for it say in your Desktop App but not the PB app? Or laptop browser?

I imagine it is showing up in the list because the desktop app puts it there when you log on and it syncs.

However you can still retrieve it on you computer and laptop...so maybe some kind of DRM issue with PB app?
    11-16-11 10:29 AM
    It's definitely not to be found on their website anymore. Try searching for Abarat with Bonus Material. It doesn't show up. If you search Abarat now you will find 2 books, but not with the bonus material or the blue cover. And of course, the other 2 books already in the series. The only way I can see the info about the book is by undeleting the book and clicking on the info (all from the webbrowser on my PC).

I've tried searching on the ISBN of the book as well, no go either. And yes, you can search on ISBN, because I tried with one of the other books I bought. Maybe they "cleaned" out their ebooks or something more serious was the cause of this problem (wipe of a server?). Anyways, as I stated before you can also use the Undelete option under "trash" via your browser after you have deleted all the books from the "I'm Reading" section.

All of the above rules out a DRM issue for me. I think they really trashed their book collection and somehow the app on PC's can cope with that by programming or another way. Somehow I feel it's a flaw in the programming of the app on the PlayBook which keeps it from downloading and showing up there.

Looking at some other folks in this topic and the one on the Kobo support site it seems a few more have the same problem with books gone "missing" from the store. I sincerely hope they can give me an explanation for this really weird behavior. Why suddenly drop a few books? I'm smelling a deeper thing behind this and (hopefully) not seducing people in rebuying books they've already bought....
    Last edited by Gortoth666; 11-16-11 at 11:41 AM.
    11-16-11 11:37 AM
    Seems to be working good after following your steps too! Was getting frustrated as I was delving into about 3 different books over the course of last week...then nothing!

On an odd note, I found that it seems that if you sign out of your account on the PB it wipes the books you downloaded. Not sure if this is a sync issue between the PB app and the website, but after forcing the app closed and relaunching it prompted me to sign in. The really odd thing was it wiped all books I'd just re-downloaded aside from the one I opened and bookmarked. Not really tempted to sign out on the PB and see if I can repeat the issue...

Kudos to Singlesculler for the fix and to you for posting it to all of us. I agree, hopefully Kobo will get on it themselves and resolve the issue for their frustrated consumers, but at least we have a go-by for fixing it ourselves.
    11-16-11 12:21 PM

On an odd note, I found that it seems that if you sign out of your account on the PB it wipes the books you downloaded. Not sure if this is a sync issue between the PB app and the website, but after forcing the app closed and relaunching it prompted me to sign in. The really odd thing was it wiped all books I'd just re-downloaded aside from the one I opened and bookmarked. Not really tempted to sign out on the PB and see if I can repeat the issue...
    Yeah I went through this issue to ...several times. Between messing with the PB app and Desktop app that is what got me on the whole bookmark issue, Then I found singlesculler post and list issue.

Anyway maybe pestering them all day yesterday on the phone and facebook...along with positive results acknowledged by everyone there they finally took a look at this solution....and hence New Update for Kobo.

Question how long till the give us the update.
    Last edited by JaredPress; 11-16-11 at 12:32 PM.
    11-16-11 12:30 PM

Question how long till the give us the update.
    I'm guessing too long. The week is almost through.

Funniest part I think is: They're talking about an Appworld update.... But why is it when you delete the app and reinstall you get version 1.0000? Then your PB is looking for a OS update which brings it up to the (for now) latest version?
    11-16-11 12:42 PM
    I'm guessing too long. The week is almost through.

Funniest part I think is: They're talking about an Appworld update.... But why is it when you delete the app and reinstall you get version 1.0000? Then your PB is looking for a OS update which brings it up to the (for now) latest version?
    yeah you're right I think they probably will release it through App World.

Since Kobo was supposed to be bundled with PB RIM probably wanted updates released with their own OS updates. In this case Kobo is probably afraid of having ...cant afford to wait until Feb or later to get this fix out. So we will as you say probably see it posted to app world.

Given there are so many people affect and their relationship with RIM app world may push this one through quickly
    11-16-11 12:56 PM
    KOBO Customer Service says there is still a problem with the PlayBook App. It is still being worked on ..yeah right!!
    The problem is at Kobo....The only way I can access my previously purchased library is to download the books off my desktop computer but that only will go as far as the Adobe digital editions reader not to anywhere else...frustrating....
    At least they are admitting they are still having problems....brutal the speed at which they are NOT working to resolve the situation!!!!
    11-16-11 01:00 PM
    You've read over it in the topic where we both replied:

We identified another issue through customer feedback and have created a fix for this in the form of a Blackberry App upgrade.

Which in my opinion translates into an Appworld upgrade... Or they're pushing it with the update they're suposedly bringing on in a little while?
    Last edited by Gortoth666; 11-16-11 at 01:08 PM.
    11-16-11 01:02 PM
    The only way I can access my previously purchased library is to download the books off my desktop computer but that only will go as far as the Adobe digital editions reader not to anywhere else...:
    How do you download from your computer and get Adobe Digital Editions Reader to access them?

I downloaded the reader to my PC yesterday but can't find my Kobo books
    11-16-11 03:04 PM
    How do you download from your computer and get Adobe Digital Editions Reader to access them?

I downloaded the reader to my PC yesterday but can't find my Kobo books
    In the list you can actually select Adobe DRM Epub for some books (not all).
    This is in your webbrowser, from the I'm reading, or even purchased list. It is a file, which can be opened in ADE.
    11-16-11 03:08 PM
    Thanks to Singlesculler...for confirming my suspicions at least in part.

The problem we are having is in the sync function when loading Kobo

Give an attaboy to Singlesculler for posting on this solution. THANK YOU!!!!

STEP BY STEP:

I did this with an empty PB Kobo library so you may need to delete Kobo if you have problems. Redownload from app world which gives you version 1.0. Next check for available updates to PB OS on your controlscreen. It should indicate an available update with current Kobo. Update. Then:

1) log into your Kobo account via your web browser on PC or Mac(?)

2) Find your way to the "I Am Reading" page in your account. (Bookmark Issue is discussed more later
    in this thread)

3) Select all of the books in this section and delete them. (This will only delete the bookmarks and not your purchased books.)

4) Now open your PB Kobo app. If you had books there they may well dissapear. However the spinning wheel should go away shortly.

5) Go to the Book Store in your PB Kobo app.

6) Navigate to your purchased books. I used the Purchased Books page in my account on PC browser as reference.

7) Becasue you already purchased this book the "Buy" button should display as "Download" button since these buttons are tied the purchased books list in your account.

8) Redownload your backs. PITA to have to due individually I know.

9) When you are done close the PB Kobo app.

10) If you have the PC/Mac desktop app launch it while you are online.

11) Your desktop should sync with what is on your PB.

12) Relaunch Kobo app.

With luck and a lot of screwing around on our part you should be up and running. (????)

PLEASE THANK simglesculler FOR THIS!

...I was so close but he/she(?) really is the one who made this possible. I simply had no clue where the bookmarks were actually being stored.
    OK I don't know how this guy came up with this fix but he's a genius in my book. Only problem now is that not all of my already purchased books show as a download but just the most recent one. But I guess one book is better than none.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-11 06:36 PM
    Only problem now is that not all of my already purchased books show as a download but just the most recent one. But I guess one book is better than none.

Hmmm...wonder if this is another case where books are missing from the web-site?

Are you using the desktop and if so can you find them there?

Are they still in your purchased books list in your account?
    Last edited by JaredPress; 11-16-11 at 06:51 PM.
    11-16-11 06:48 PM
    Hmmm...wonder if this is another case where books are missing from the web-site?

Are you using the desktop and if so can you find them there?

Are they still in your purchased books list in your account?
    Oh yeah, no problems on the website everyone of my books is there and can access them all with digital reader on my laptop. Maybe I should just download this digital reader to my PB, can I do that?

11-16-11 08:04 PM
    Thanks for publishing this solution in a new thread. Works on most books but i have two (so far) that won't display as a download. These keep displaying as Buy Now. I can undelete them on the website and they will download in the pc app. The funny thing is when I do this, the PB app goes back to the spinning wheel of death so there appears to be something wrong with these specific books that seem to be causing the issue.
    11-16-11 08:58 PM
    Thanks for publishing this solution in a new thread. Works on most books but i have two (so far) that won't display as a download. These keep displaying as Buy Now. I can undelete them on the website and they will download in the pc app. The funny thing is when I do this, the PB app goes back to the spinning wheel of death so there appears to be something wrong with these specific books that seem to be causing the issue.
    Are these books Adobe DRM ePub books. I am curious about what makes them different???

I got all of my books back ...15...and I think most have but some have the issue you do with some books. Mine are Adobe DRM epub books but I understand not all of them are.
    11-17-11 09:22 AM
    Are these books Adobe DRM ePub books. I am curious about what makes them different???

I got all of my books back ...15...and I think most have but some have the issue you do with some books. Mine are Adobe DRM epub books but I understand not all of them are.
    Hey Jared,

I've posted a few pics on the subject of the missing book on the other thread. http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post6859363
    Maybe it can be used as a guide for other people to check which book might be conflicting and send a help request to Kobo support.... Although: they still haven't answered my mail..... After 24 hours, running on 48 now.... In my case, it's a Adobe DRM epub book... but I have others that did work.
    11-17-11 01:58 PM
    Still a few looking for this and who knows how long till update comes through
    11-18-11 11:04 PM
    This is not a practical solution for all customers. Not all books I have purchased at Kobo show up as "download" but, in fact, show as "buy now"; perhaps editions have changed?

One must wait for the official replacement app.
    11-19-11 09:48 AM
    OMG thanks so very much for a solution. I have seriously been freaking out for the last couple weeks .
    11-20-11 11:11 AM

These are but I have restored some that are as well. Don't see a correlation based on this.
    11-20-11 11:45 AM
    Hi,

I have a BlackBerry 9810. I also have an apple iPad 2. I have the kobo app on both. When all is good on the iPad kobo, I close it and open the BB kobo and start to read the same book and get the problem with the book leaving when I save the bookmark. It also disappears from the iPad kobo when I go back in there.

Will this step by step fix you listed also fix this issue?
    02-24-12 10:36 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD