Hm... I had Solitaire for PlayBook (version 1) installed on my PlayBook and have enjoyed the game. It wasn't great, but it worked well enough. Well, it seems there is now an update (version 2.0.16) that appears to address many of the complaints I had. Excited, I went to upgrade in App World.

Unfortunately, I am greeted with the following message: There was a problem during installation. Please try again.

Anyone else see this? Any ideas how to get past this? I have restarted App World and even restarted the PlayBook several times, but that doesn't help. I have even uninstalled the game hoping to download the new version cleanly, but I still get stuck, and now I don't even have the old version installed any more. Dang.

EDIT: To be clear, I have downloaded and installed a dozen or more apps without issue (including version 1 of this game). My BBID is working fine, so I assume this is an issue with the app itself in App World. I have contacted the developer, but have yet to hear anything back.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 05-05-11 at 10:29 AM.
    05-05-11 10:26 AM
    I wiped my Playbook and did a re-initialization. Why? because I could. I was also trying to figure out why since the new OS upgrade on the Playbook my bbm would not connect to my Torch over the bridge. anyway as I was trying to re-install all of my apps on the Playbook I tried to get version 1.1 of Solitaire back and got the same error. This is the only software that game me an error trying to re-install.

After looking again I think I see he problem. The update is a paid version. I do not remember paying for the old one.
    Last edited by crackhead007; 05-05-11 at 10:47 AM.
    05-05-11 10:44 AM
    Hm... ok. So this might boil down to something the developer has to fix. Still waiting on an e-mail reply. Will post up if I ever get it working or hear back from the developer.
    05-05-11 10:47 AM
    my wife andni have the same problem on our playbooks.... we even tried deleting them and reinstalling them but no dice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 01:22 PM
    could someone without it maybe download it and seen if it works if you havent downloaded it before

05-05-11 01:24 PM
    on another note another program i got for free and now cost money is doing the same thing .......

05-05-11 01:27 PM
    Yep. Turns out it's an issue with apps going from free to paid when an upgrade is available. The developer is checking with RIM to see what needs to be done to fix this.
    05-05-11 02:48 PM
    Asteroids is doing the same thing. The first version was free. The upgrade is a paid app. There is another one I have that is in the same situation but I can't remember the name right now.

05-05-11 07:16 PM
    I had the same problem trying to upgrade solitaire
    05-06-11 01:53 PM
    Just thought if more indicate they are in the boat the better!

The Hankster
    05-06-11 03:12 PM
    same here...
    05-09-11 10:02 PM
    yep i experienced the same issue. I ended up just uninstalling and have not purchased. Definitely stinks since I initially downloaded it when it was free
    05-09-11 11:54 PM
    I ended up just uninstalling and have not purchased.
    That's the kicker... there is no way to purchase. I'd be happy to, especially at $0.99, but because I installed the prior version which was free, App World won't let me install the new version, nor will it let me purchase the new version.

What a mess, and as each day passes, I feel less and less confident that this will be resolved.
    05-10-11 08:50 AM
    yup, same problem, uninstalled and now can't re-install due to converting from free to pay issue on App World.
    05-11-11 02:04 AM
    Well, it turns out that I am able to purchase this game even though I had originally downloaded the previous, free version. And so I did. Unfortunately, I'm not impressed. The quality of the card graphics has gotten worse.

Eh... I'm waiting for a better alternative at this point.
    05-11-11 06:55 AM
    Bump for those who care - I was able to "re" download the paid version last night without an error message. RIM must have fixed the update problem.

lyricidal likes this.
    05-12-11 07:53 AM
    Bump for those who care - I was able to "re" download the paid version last night without an error message. RIM must have fixed the update problem.

I still can't (and get the error message) - did you do anything special?
    06-02-11 10:42 PM
    Well, it turns out that I am able to purchase this game even though I had originally downloaded the previous, free version. And so I did. Unfortunately, I'm not impressed. The quality of the card graphics has gotten worse.

Eh... I'm waiting for a better alternative at this point.
    May I suggest SouthernTouch Spades as an alternative?
    BlackBerry App World - SouthernTouch Technologies

The graphics are very nice, the animations are smooth and the AI is about as smart as you'll want it to be. Of course, it's not solitaire, but it is an entertaining single-player card game. We are currently working on a backgammon game, but we do plan on releasing a high-quality solitaire game in the next few months, as well.

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    SouthernTouch Technologies
    06-03-11 02:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD