With 350 posts and 14,000 views in a day, Android App working on OS2

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ng-os2-661898/

So I keep hearing (from some) that apps are a crutch. That they're not necessary because the Playbook can access the "full web". Who needs apps, most of them are fart apps anyway?

How do you explain the popularity of that thread?
    10-19-11 08:48 PM
    Its the new thing that we all want to play with. We can do a lot of things with out apps that suite most of our needs. Now we want to add apps because we can. So be it.

I loved my Playbook before OS2 and I love my Playbook after OS2.

Apps dont change anything other than now I have new toys. There is nothing (other than Remote Desktop) that I absolutely needed prior to OS2.
    10-19-11 08:55 PM
    With 350 posts and 14,000 views in a day, Android App working on OS2

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ng-os2-661898/

So I keep hearing (from some) that apps are a crutch. That they're not necessary because the Playbook can access the "full web". Who needs apps, most of them are fart apps anyway?

To be fair, I have always seen posts that associate a 'fart' app with apple. Android is known for Malware

Not saying it's true.....
    10-19-11 09:06 PM
    wait a minute. apple has more fart apps then rim? bye bye playbook, hello ipad!
    Deathcommand, Chrisy and Kaz75 like this.
    10-19-11 09:11 PM
    Why do we think its cool to load Android Apps? Because we can...
    10-19-11 09:11 PM
    Its the biggest news coming out of the new OS. Plain and simple.

I don't agree with your logic. But that doesn't mean I think apps are necessary or unnecessary. Apps definitely have their uses on the playbook. But if you can get the uses of the app from the browser, then that app is not "necessary", strictly speaking.
    10-19-11 11:45 PM
    The PB doesn't require nearly as many apps as the leading competitor.

What's coming to BBX are processes that unleash the power of the QNX microkernel, RTOS.
    10-19-11 11:53 PM

What's coming to BBX are processes that unleash the power of the QNX microkernel, RTOS.
    Can you give examples of some processes that unleash the power of the QNX microkernel, RTOS. Do you even know what you're talking about?
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-20-11 12:04 AM
    wait a minute. apple has more fart apps then rim? bye bye playbook, hello ipad!
    Wish I would have known this before I picked up my Playbook during the awesome sale. Would have totally been worth the extra $300 for more fart apps.

Kidding, the above post did make me laugh though!
    Only had it a couple weeks so still exploring everything OS 1 has to offer.
    Kaz75 likes this.
    10-20-11 12:04 AM
    Can you give examples of some processes that unleash the power of the QNX microkernel, RTOS. Do you even know what you're talking about?
    Actually he doesn't. He's here purely for comedic relief. His answer to everything Playbook is "arguably the best tablet..." He's a homer, an embarrassing extreme fanboy. The Playbook could catch on fire, and he would defend it as a feature that the competition will copy...
    Chrisy and xandermac like this.
    10-20-11 07:20 AM
    That's definitely true if you scale it by sales and interest. And developers seem to agree with you 100%. Great observation.

You really should do marketing for RIM. This is exactly the kind of advertising they are good at.
    brucep1 and Chrisy like this.
    10-20-11 07:54 AM
    Trolling Android users by stealing their precious apps is priceless.

Plus who said that they aren't useful?

That being said. The only Android app i find useful at this point is Twitter because the mobile version sucks.

Also, the fact that the thread is for all the fanboys is also a contributing factor. They test, report, request, test, report, test.

Each test must be done twice and therefore each app can have many testers and therefore many posts concerning them.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 10-20-11 at 08:03 AM.
    10-20-11 07:59 AM
    To the OP:

So we cant look on the bright side when things are down and enjoy a new update and all it brings? I think its brilliant that we get to be a part of making 2.0 better by testing out the kinks for RIM now. I was worried because expectations oj 2.0 were so high it was doomed to disappoint but this should turn that around.

Apps are less important when you have the full web, that is true. I dont need an app anymore to interface with my bank account like I did on my iphone. But there are plenty of other great things apps can do and its nice to see them coming.
    notfanboy likes this.
    10-20-11 08:16 AM
    Multitasking. Gotta love the thread handling and processor allocation that gives the UI its beautiful functionality.
    10-20-11 08:37 AM
    Actually he doesn't. He's here purely for comedic relief. His answer to everything Playbook is "arguably the best tablet..." He's a homer, an embarrassing extreme fanboy. The Playbook could catch on fire, and he would defend it as a feature that the competition will copy...
    When you go camping, which do you bring? The islab or the PB? The islab of course. It burns longer.
    10-20-11 08:40 AM
    Apps are important, except if it's email, of course, somehow that's still aceptable that RIM still doesn't have a native email client... It isn't...
    10-20-11 10:28 AM
    To the OP:

So we cant look on the bright side when things are down and enjoy a new update and all it brings? I think its brilliant that we get to be a part of making 2.0 better by testing out the kinks for RIM now. I was worried because expectations oj 2.0 were so high it was doomed to disappoint but this should turn that around.

Apps are less important when you have the full web, that is true. I dont need an app anymore to interface with my bank account like I did on my iphone. But there are plenty of other great things apps can do and its nice to see them coming.
    Actually I agree with everything you said there. The point of my post was to show how ridiculous is the claim that apps aren't wanted or needed. Not everyone wants them to the same degree, but it is undeniable that apps excite people and provides new capabilities to the hardware.
    10-20-11 11:13 AM
    When you go camping, which do you bring? The islab or the PB? The islab of course. It burns longer.
    I prefer wood for a fire personally. I would bring a playbook cuz then I would still have internet via bridge. Other tabletscharge for tethering or 3g/4g access.
    10-20-11 06:06 PM
    Actually I agree with everything you said there. The point of my post was to show how ridiculous is the claim that apps aren't wanted or needed. Not everyone wants them to the same degree, but it is undeniable that apps excite people and provides new capabilities to the hardware.
    I am sure some feel they are unimportant, but they are in the minority. For me apps have a place, I dont care how many apps RIM wrangles up as long as they hit the major catagories. I prefer bridge email personally, I will only use the native email if it deletes off my phone when I delete on the playbook. If it doesnt do that I will stay with bridge as I am happy with that tbh. My issue with no native email is that it became something that makes RIM look really bad and I like their stuff and want to be able to keep buying em.

I would venture a guess that the reason many have taken the stance you talk about on apps is they want go defend their favorite. People have been talking alot of #*$@ about RIM and are making it sound like they will go bankrupt. People who like RIM would feel the need to defend it because it is ones instict to defend something they like.

I hope they maintain a strong second or third place personally. I want them to do good enough to stay in the game but struggle enough to innovate. It seems though that apps are being handled. I havenoticed a huge influx of quality apps in just the past few days. And I like that they are focusing on porting apps as well as emulating them.
    10-20-11 06:18 PM
    WOW, the OP really told us... Should I start the slow clap or should he? I never get that right...

10-20-11 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD