Oh, the memories! Was 9 when we got our SNES and even though I'm the only girl in the family, I played it much more than my brothers. Used to beat them at games too, lol. So imagine the huge smile on my face when I learned about this.
    I just sideloaded the emulator and added Super Mario World and Aladdin. Everything works like a charm and I've played both games for a bit. I'm still playing around with the placement of the buttons and getting the hang of the controls, it is somewhat different with a touchscreen instead of the physical buttons. That being said I still love being able to play these old games again. Thanks so much for putting this up here
    zethaaron likes this.
    03-03-12 12:45 PM
    Ok, so here's something fun i did with Snes9xPB and Snes9x for Windows (although mac/lin should work as well).

Here was my goal:
    Play a game on my playbook while mobile, then, when i get to a computer, plug the playbook in and continue right from where i left off.

Things you'll need:
    1) A playbook with Snes9x installed (duh...)
    2) The drivers installed for the PB so that it shows up as a drive in "My Computer" (although i believe that this should work if you access it from a network share as well. I haven't tested that yet.)
    3) A copy of Snes9x (I grabbed one from here)

NOTE: in this example, when i say "Y:" that's the letter assigned to the PB on my computer.
    Steps (assuming this is on a fresh install):
    1) Set up snes9xpb and run a game, then fully close the EMU.
    2) Dump the contents of the Snes9x Windows zip into a new "win" folder in the snes9x-pb folder on your PB (mine is: Y:\misc\snes9x-pb\win)
    3) open up snes9x.conf and look for this section:
    Code:
    [Settings\Win\Files]
    replace the lines below it with this:
    Code:
    [Settings\Win\Files]
    Dir:Roms         = ..\rom                                # directory where the Open ROM dialog will start
    Dir:Screenshots  = ..\screenshot                         # directory where screenshots will be saved
    Dir:Movies       = ..\Movies                             # the default directory for recorded movie (.smv) files
    Dir:SPCs         = ..\spc                                # directory where SPCs will be saved
    Dir:Savestates   = ..\savestate                          # directory where savestates will be created and loaded from
    Dir:SRAM         = ..\sram                               # directory where battery saves will be created and loaded from
    Dir:Patches      = ..\cheat                              # directory in which ROM patches (.ips files) and cheats (.cht files) will be looked for
    Dir:Bios         = ..\bios                               # directory where BIOS files (such as "BS-X.bios") will be located
    Dir:Lock         = TRUE                                  # true to prevent Snes9x from changing configured directories when you browse to a new location
    That should be it!

Now, open up snes9x.exe and load your rom. Any saved data you have should be accessible there!
    (NOTE: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE SAVESTATES!)

Currently, savestates seem to work in one direction. The PB app saves it's states as .frz files, and the win version uses number codes (.000, .001) which help differentiate the slots. You can load a .frz file in windows if you rename it to .000, but be careful because if you save it in windows, it will NOT load on the PB (some sort of format incompatibility).

Enjoy!
    03-05-12 12:10 PM
    is there anyone that's able to play super mario world properly? running and jumping at the same time is pretty much impossible... or is it just me?
    03-05-12 03:06 PM
    is there anyone that's able to play super mario world properly? running and jumping at the same time is pretty much impossible... or is it just me?
    I'm having trouble with those controls too. I'm trying to find the perfect position for the buttons so I can run and jump easily, but so far, no luck.
    03-05-12 03:10 PM
    have you figured this out yet? Ive been trying to do this for days, i am on a mac, and i can run the tic tac toe game, but once i put super mario bros all stars rom into the rom folder, it won't work. i also don't understand about modifying the snes9x.conf, and does just re typing ".rom" after the file make it a rom file. please help!
    03-11-12 10:37 PM
    have you figured this out yet? Ive been trying to do this for days, i am on a mac, and i can run the tic tac toe game, but once i put super mario bros all stars rom into the rom folder, it won't work. i also don't understand about modifying the snes9x.conf, and does just re typing ".rom" after the file make it a rom file. please help!
    Roms come in specific formats for specific systems, and for Super Nintendo, the format should be .smc. If you download something like .bin, it's the wrong rom, and changing it to .smc will not work. Once you have .smc files, put them in the rom folder, open snes9xpb, and tap the top left corner to switch roms. Then enjoy! When you are finding the game, just look up (the name of the game) (the name of the system) rom, i.e if I wanted super mario world, I would search, super mario world super nintendo rom. Then just look around and you should find a download, and once you have it just make sure it shows up as an smc file. Unless of course it's a zip or rar, then just extract it with winrar. Let me know if you have any problems.
    03-11-12 10:54 PM
    wow. im gonna try this out tonight or tomorrow, thanks to everyone involved.
    03-12-12 10:32 AM
    I'm having trouble with those controls too. I'm trying to find the perfect position for the buttons so I can run and jump easily, but so far, no luck.
    I suspect it is a limitation of the touch screen? The main issue I can see is that if I am running then jump, and HOLD the jump button down to make it a longer jump, the playbook stops recognizing that I am still pushing the D-pad in the jump direction. So you can't jump nearly as far horizontally.

Any work around possible or is this a limit with the screen?
    03-12-12 12:34 PM
    thanks for the response! on the rare occasion i am finding the games i want with .smc, they still don't work. will i have better luck doing this on a windows pc for whatever reason? and also what i didn't understand was about configuring the snes9x.config file. if i even need to do that?
    03-12-12 04:49 PM
    Can we get the following to work
    RIM has the most innovative gaming peripheral at GDC | SemiAccurate

Using the bb as the control would be awesome.
    03-12-12 09:28 PM
    guys im stumped i have looked through the forums, i sideloaded the snes thing numerous times by following the instructions given. I now have the icon on my pb, but it wont open. I have no idea what to do now or what i did wrong, any help would be super awesome lol, thanks.
    03-12-12 11:31 PM
    thanks for the response! on the rare occasion i am finding the games i want with .smc, they still don't work. will i have better luck doing this on a windows pc for whatever reason? and also what i didn't understand was about configuring the snes9x.config file. if i even need to do that?
    You shouldn't have to do anything to the snes9x.config file, the only thing anyone who doesn't have a pretty decent coding understanding (no offense, I don't have a decent understanding of code. :P) should do with that is perhaps modify it so that the tic tac toe game isn't the first to come up, but right now you've got bigger fish to fry. Anyways, unless you modify that file (and again, I'd advise you not to) tic tac toe will always be the first game to come up (if you want I can show you how to change that, but lets wait untill we've got some roms working), if you tap in the very top left corner of the screen on the emulator it will switch to the next rom. If you've been doing that and it's not working, download this rom: Super Mario World (U).smc
    Drop the rom in the folder /accounts/1000/shared/misc/snes9x-pb/rom/
    You can do all this on your PlayBook, it would be easier on a pc, but if you're doing it on your playbook, you're going to have to download a file manager (I recommend air browser) and move the rom from your downloads folder, to the rom folder I just mentioned.
    Then open up the emulator, tic tac toe will come up. Tap the very top left corner, and it should switch over to the rom I just provided (Super Mario World, Helllll yeahhhhh lol). Let me know if it works!
    nothing2003 likes this.
    03-13-12 12:41 PM
    guys im stumped i have looked through the forums, i sideloaded the snes thing numerous times by following the instructions given. I now have the icon on my pb, but it wont open. I have no idea what to do now or what i did wrong, any help would be super awesome lol, thanks.
    you need to be more specific; by what you are saying it sounds like you simply sideloaded the emulator and that's it. So now i have to ask;... did you put roms in the right folder?? sometimes it requires you to reboot the playbook after sideloading and loading roms even though it doesn't give you an indication to do so as others have had to do it while others have not...also make sure you have the right rom files in it. (i.e. smc.)
    03-13-12 10:09 PM
    works great so far (just tested it to see if it opened a rom)
    03-25-12 11:26 PM
    I love this emulator. It is perfect EXCEPT for how you select roms. When you have a few hundred, it is daunting to keep pushing in the top left corner until you get to a game. This (and most other emulators) *really* need a rom browser. Honestly, it is all it really needs. The emulation is of course perfect, buttons and control nice and large, and games look and sounds GREAT on the playbook.

Please tell me a rom browser is in the works for a future update
    Denus likes this.
    03-26-12 07:16 AM
    I think the problem with a guy is the controls would have to be rewritten. Currently sdloverlay is used and the issue with this is that as long as the app is running the controls will be on the screen. This makes a menu unappealing. But it is doable with a decent bit of work.
    03-26-12 10:49 AM
    does it work with the bluetooth keyboard?
    03-26-12 11:39 AM
    I love this emulator. It is perfect EXCEPT for how you select roms. When you have a few hundred, it is daunting to keep pushing in the top left corner until you get to a game. This (and most other emulators) *really* need a rom browser. Honestly, it is all it really needs. The emulation is of course perfect, buttons and control nice and large, and games look and sounds GREAT on the playbook.

Please tell me a rom browser is in the works for a future update

I agree, the rom cycler is not ideal. We are not going to waste resources on creating a UI right now though, and this is why: cascades. It's a native GUI framework that is being released by RIM sometime this year.

We do not want to spend a ton of resources into making something that will just be obsoleted.

Sorry for the lack of updates, guys. I am going to work on this some more now. I quite frankly needed a break from coding for a bit.

Working todo list:
    1. Refactor controls so we can play with bridge keyboard, and other bluetooth keyboards.

2. look into multi presses. This might just be a touchscreen issue. (keep in mind we can already multi press, it's just doing it quickly that seems to fart)

If anyone has suggestions for things to do, I would be welcome to hear them.
    KermEd likes this.
    03-26-12 11:58 AM
    after installing this i always see the SNES app logo EVERYWHERE on my screen

is there a fix for that?
    03-28-12 02:07 AM
    I agree, the rom cycler is not ideal. We are not going to waste resources on creating a UI right now though, and this is why: cascades. It's a native GUI framework that is being released by RIM sometime this year.

We do not want to spend a ton of resources into making something that will just be obsoleted.

Sorry for the lack of updates, guys. I am going to work on this some more now. I quite frankly needed a break from coding for a bit.

Working todo list:
    1. Refactor controls so we can play with bridge keyboard, and other bluetooth keyboards.

2. look into multi presses. This might just be a touchscreen issue. (keep in mind we can already multi press, it's just doing it quickly that seems to fart)

If anyone has suggestions for things to do, I would be welcome to hear them.
    I thought I saw that SDL did take care of BT Keyboard somewhere. Of course having the option of using either onscreen, or BT keyboard (BT gamepad?) would be nice. But for the removal of the onscreen buttons + overwrite the slide down menu requires playing with SDL. Was going to do some mods to the SDL code to allow the use of the moving around (+saving the positions...) but I haven't had time to get around to it.

Also it's a pain to try and port in Windows, so I had to start playing with a vm.
    03-28-12 07:07 AM
    after installing this i always see the SNES app logo EVERYWHERE on my screen

is there a fix for that?
    i uninstalled partially due to this.

someones always tries to play SNES from my PB and lately its been giving me an error 22. too lazy to fix for mow

but after the error 22, i would see the logo between page loads, on splash screens, just EVERYWHERE

I DO plan on reinstalling as i love this app, just not a major focus right now
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 03-29-12 at 12:36 PM.
    03-29-12 12:25 PM
    Error 22 = Reboot. Trying to track that down.

Also looking into the splash screen issue. this is apparent on most emulators though, not just this one. (On the Playbook)
    03-29-12 12:34 PM
    Error 22 = Reboot. Trying to track that down.

Also looking into the splash screen issue. this is apparent on most emulators though, not just this one. (On the Playbook)
    I dont have any others installed, and Im not even 'complaining' about it... its just weird to see.

Like when im playing Lets Golf it is there in the menu under all the LG graphics. It is never ON TOP of the app graphics that I am using so it isnt a big deal. Its just that if im showing my PB to someone else to 'reel them in' they will say 'why is that there?'

Other then that I have no issue with it. Id rather sometimes see parts of that logo and be able to use SNES games then not be able to do both of those.
    jtokarchuk likes this.
    03-29-12 02:28 PM
    Hi. I signed up just to thank you for this. This is my killer app for the PB and I couldn't be happier. Thank you so very much. I'm also happy to report that I haven't had any technical issues with it.

If I could make 1 suggestion/request, I'd LOVE to see the fast-forward feature. Just a small button.
    cajualaddict likes this.
    04-07-12 10:49 PM
    You shouldn't have to do anything to the snes9x.config file, the only thing anyone who doesn't have a pretty decent coding understanding (no offense, I don't have a decent understanding of code. :P) should do with that is perhaps modify it so that the tic tac toe game isn't the first to come up, but right now you've got bigger fish to fry. Anyways, unless you modify that file (and again, I'd advise you not to) tic tac toe will always be the first game to come up (if you want I can show you how to change that, but lets wait untill we've got some roms working), if you tap in the very top left corner of the screen on the emulator it will switch to the next rom. If you've been doing that and it's not working, download this rom: Super Mario World (U).smc
    Drop the rom in the folder /accounts/1000/shared/misc/snes9x-pb/rom/
    You can do all this on your PlayBook, it would be easier on a pc, but if you're doing it on your playbook, you're going to have to download a file manager (I recommend air browser) and move the rom from your downloads folder, to the rom folder I just mentioned.
    Then open up the emulator, tic tac toe will come up. Tap the very top left corner, and it should switch over to the rom I just provided (Super Mario World, Helllll yeahhhhh lol). Let me know if it works!
    I used that Rom, I don't have any other rome, haven't touched .conf, and it doesn't work. Splash screen and then crash.
    I'm on the 2.0.0.7* firmware.
    Last edited by JoDeSousa; 04-08-12 at 03:18 PM.
    04-08-12 03:15 PM
444 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD