Snes9x for Blackberry Playbook is now available for download for SIDE LOADING.

The current version is 1.0.1.1 and works on OS 1.0.x and 2.0.x.

You do NOT need to root your PB to side load or use this app.

You can download the .bar file here: https://github.com/downloads/a7omic/...pb-1_0_1_1.zip

Note: It will download as a .zip file, you must change the extension to .bar then side load.

Change Log:
    - Visual ROM Selector (Thanks Catalyst!)*
    - Multitouch now works**
    - Realigned Save/Load State buttons.
    1.0.0.8 - Save state functionality added (jtokarchuk)
    1.0.0.7 - Just updated with the pretty buttons (Thanks c_weiler)
    1.0.0.6 - Fixes major bug in rom cycler -- not saving SRAM upon cycle (jtokarchuk)
    1.0.0.5 - Initial Release (A7omic, jtokarchuk)

https://github.com/downloads/a7omic/...pb-1_0_0_8.bar
    https://github.com/downloads/a7omic/...pb-1_0_0_7.bar
    https://github.com/downloads/a7omic/...pb-1_0_0_6.bar
    https://github.com/downloads/a7omic/...pb-1_0_0_5.bar

5500+ downloads and climbing (Feb 7)

You can find the general execution information here(I will post the details below as well): https://github.com/a7omic/snes9x-pb/...on-Information

And if you want to play with the code you can find the basic build instructions here: https://github.com/a7omic/snes9x-pb/...d-Instructions

On behalf of myself and jtokarchuk I hope you enjoy this.

Please make sure to thank jtokarchuk for his contribution as well.

Additionally this would not have happened without the continued support of the RIM developers currently working on the various open source project over on Github so a very big thank you goes out to them as well.

You can find all the RIM open source projects here: https://github.com/blackberry

And finally this application is based off of the original Snes9x SDL port create by Makoto Sugano. His Github repository can be found here: https://github.com/domaemon

Oh and Disclaimer: If you load this and it breaks something it's not my fault ENJOY!!!
    Last edited by A7omic; 04-25-12 at 09:16 AM.
    01-30-12 07:56 PM
    After much deliberation I have decided to release the Snes9x for Blackberry Playbook app .bar file for side loading.

I submitted the app to App World however there is no guarantee they will approve it as is. If there are issues it could take weeks to resolve so instead of just sitting on this without knowing for sure when/if it will be release I decided to release it so you can all enjoy it now.

I will continue to work with RIM to have it officially release through App World, when and if that happens all updates will of course go through App World as well.

So again I hope you all enjoy this, I had fun putting it together....remember to thank jtokarchuk!!!

My list of short term future enhancements:

1) Option for wide screen(Stretched Mode) - I actually already implemented this but it is a compile time option and is part of the SDL library not the app itself.
    2) Enable Cheat buttons
    3) Ability for users to edit or define touch countrol overlay buttons
    4) Make dpad parameter configurable in .conf

My list of long term future enhancements:

1) Menu system - Waiting for Cascades UI
    2) Netplay

Sorry I do not have an ETA for anything.
    Last edited by A7omic; 02-08-12 at 09:01 AM.
    01-30-12 07:56 PM
    Snes9x for Playbook General Execution Information:

First Run

When you run Snes9x for Playbook for the first time it will automatically creates a number of default directories as well as the default configuration file and the default test rom file. These default test rom will be run during this first execution of the program.

Directory Creation

When you run Snes9x for Playook it will automatically create the following directory on your playbook if they do not exist:

/accounts/1000/shared/misc/snes9x-pb/

This will also contain a number of subdirectories including the rom directory.

Default Files

Snes9x for Playook will place the default snes9x.conf file into the folder /accounts/1000/shared/misc/snes9x-pb/ if it does not exist. Snes9x for Playook will place the default test rom into the folder /accounts/1000/shared/misc/snes9x-pb/rom/ if it does not exist.

If you delete these files at any time they WILL be recreate the next time you run Snes9x for Playbook.

Adding Roms

Simply place your roms into the folder /accounts/1000/shared/misc/snes9x-pb/rom/

Filename - snes9x.conf

The default snes9x.conf file will have the file name commented out. If you uncomment (remove #) and add a file name that rom will be the first rom that is run when Snes9x for Playbook is executed.

The file name does not require the .smc file extension but it is recommended if you want that rom to be picked up by the Automatic Rom Selector/Cycler.

If the file has the .smc extension then it must have it in the snes9x.conf file, if there is no extension on the file then it cannot have the extension in the .conf.

Examples:

File in rom directory is ttt.smc Filename = ttt.smc

File in rom directory is ttt Filename = ttt

File in rom directory is TTT.SMC Filename = TTT.SMC

Automatic Rom selector/Cycler

If you do not add a Filename to the snes9x.conf file Snes9x for Playbook will automatically run the roms that are in your rom folder, sorted alphabetically it will load the first one.

Whether or not you have added a Filename in the snes9x.conf you can use the next button on screen to load the next rom in the rom folder. Snes9x for Playbook will continually cycle through all of the roms in your rom folder.

Note: In order for the Rom selector to read your rom it must have the .smc file extension

snes9x.conf

You may edit the configuration in the snes9x.conf file all you want but your results may vary and are not supported by us in any way.

Some configuration fields may not be supported at this time.
    Last edited by A7omic; 01-30-12 at 07:59 PM.
    01-30-12 07:57 PM
    My Todo List:
    - Save / Load States - done
    - Fix multiple Touch - In progress
    - New RomSelector - done

MAJOR UPDATE:

Snes9x-pb is now version 1.0.1.1

Changes:
    - Visual ROM Selector (Thanks Catalyst!)*
    - Multitouch now works**
    - Realigned Save/Load State buttons.

* - On first load, you will have 30 seconds to pick your ROM, before the app exits. While ingame, it will not.
    ** - If you "roll your thumb" down to the next button it will not work. You need to use two fingers. Speaking with someone at RIM, it is an issue with how the playbook handles touch zones.

Rom Selector in action:

BAR FILE: https://github.com/downloads/a7omic/...pb-1_0_1_1.zip

After Updating, I get Error 9:

Restart your playbook, it should work afterwards.
    Last edited by jtokarchuk; 04-25-12 at 09:52 AM.
    Dr.Deebs, livejam, rmah and 26 others like this.
    01-30-12 07:58 PM
    Thanks! Installing now
    01-30-12 08:10 PM
    Thanks for all the hard work guys. Installing now. I hope it makes it into App World.
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    01-30-12 08:33 PM
    You are awesome, thank you so much One thing I would do if I were you is put a back button so you can go back through the games instead of just going forward. That way if you hastily speed by the game your looking for you can just hit the back button. Oh and thanks a lot I am doomed to have a finger printed up and smeared screen because of this
    01-30-12 08:48 PM
    Running beautifully. Thanks for al the hard work you guys. Also I'm going to sleep "early" on account of I think I'll be playing this all night.
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-30-12 at 08:56 PM.
    01-30-12 08:54 PM
    Amazing work man! It really works well! This is greatly appreciated, I hope this inspires others to do the same with the rest of the emus.
    01-30-12 09:06 PM
    Lol, nice! I'll need to go find copies of all the SNES games I have in my parents attic
    01-30-12 09:12 PM
    Appreciate all the hard work. Gonna have to look into how to side load now :P. Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG here I come
    01-30-12 09:37 PM
    Anyone know how to save/savestate? I tried saving in Chrono Trigger and when I restarted the emulator my save was gone? Any ideas?

PS. PHENOMENAL WORK! I cannot believe every game I have thrown at it runs so smooth... Even Super Mario RPG. LOVE you guys!!!!!!!
    01-30-12 09:38 PM
    I tried adding ROMs to the rom folder, but now whenever i open up snes9x it just shows the splash screen and closes up. Anything I'm doing wrong?
    01-30-12 09:40 PM
    Anyone know how to save/savestate? I tried saving in Chrono Trigger and when I restarted the emulator my save was gone? Any ideas?

PS. PHENOMENAL WORK! I cannot believe every game I have thrown at it runs so smooth... Even Super Mario RPG. LOVE you guys!!!!!!!
    Can anyone else confirm this? My SRAMS seem to work.
    j_fiore likes this.
    01-30-12 09:44 PM
    I tried adding ROMs to the rom folder, but now whenever i open up snes9x it just shows the splash screen and closes up. Anything I'm doing wrong?
    Do your roms have an smc extension?

have you modified your snes9x.conf?
    captainronald and j_fiore like this.
    01-30-12 09:45 PM
    They have .smc extensions.

I haven't edited the conf.
    01-30-12 09:47 PM
    They have .smc extensions.

I haven't edited the conf.
    How many roms you have? Any potential for corrupted ROMS? Try adding only one and seeing if it works.
    01-30-12 09:48 PM
    I downloaded 3 roms. I've never used them before so it could possibly be corrupt. Ill try different ones.

Some noob questions: do spaces in the rom name matter? And editing the conf file is just optional if I want the rom selector?

Thanks for everything
    01-30-12 09:53 PM
    I downloaded 3 roms. I've never used them before so it could possibly be corrupt. Ill try different ones.

Some noob questions: do spaces in the rom name matter? And editing the conf file is just optional if I want the rom selector?

Thanks for everything
    Spaces do not matter. Do not need to edit the conf at all.
    01-30-12 09:55 PM
    Can anyone else confirm this? My SRAMS seem to work.
    After saving, do you exit out of the emulator? or have you tried cycling to a new rom after saving? I did the 2nd one and when I went back, it wasn't there.. Not quite sure why not tho because in my folder under sram it has "Chrono Trigger (U).srm" but still doesnt load up my save when I go to the game?

N how do you save state? under my "savestate" folder I have "Chrono Trigger.oops" and "Super Mario World.oops" whatever that means? Still nothing is loading my sram or savestate but they show up in the folders on the computer?

EDIT: OP (Somewhat important glitch) If you do not exit out of the emulator after saving, it will not keep the save. IE. If you save the game, then toggle the rom, your save will no longer be there for some reason. Even if you save, toggle, then exit out, it is not there. Only way it saves the game and remembers is by saving it then directly exiting out of the emulator.

^^
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 01-30-12 at 10:12 PM.
    01-30-12 09:56 PM
    Whooo

Thanks again for developing this. No real issues for me.
    01-30-12 10:14 PM
    I absolutely love this. You guys are awesome, keep up the good work. Runs flawlessly so far for me
    01-30-12 10:15 PM
    Thanks so much you guys! Phenomenal work - it runs really smooth.
    I have tried 20 roms or so, and they are all working. Thanks.
    01-30-12 10:16 PM
    After saving, do you exit out of the emulator? or have you tried cycling to a new rom after saving? I did the 2nd one and when I went back, it wasn't there.. Not quite sure why not tho because in my folder under sram it has "Chrono Trigger (U).srm" but still doesnt load up my save when I go to the game?

N how do you save state? under my "savestate" folder I have "Chrono Trigger.oops" and "Super Mario World.oops" whatever that means? Still nothing is loading my sram or savestate but they show up in the folders on the computer?

EDIT: OP (Somewhat important glitch) If you do not exit out of the emulator after saving, it will not keep the save. IE. If you save the game, then toggle the rom, your save will no longer be there for some reason. Even if you save, toggle, then exit out, it is not there. Only way it saves the game and remembers is by saving it then directly exiting out of the emulator.

^^
    I have submitted a fix to A7omic to address this. Thanks. Also: No save/load state currently.
    01-30-12 10:18 PM
    I have submitted a fix to A7omic to address this. Thanks. Also: No save/load state currently.
    Thanks, you're the best! I am still completely stunned that you guys got it running so great, I was ecstatic when the NES emulator came out.. But SNES.. You cannot beat the number of amazing games. I am going to be quite busy for a WHILE. (:
    zethaaron likes this.
    01-30-12 10:23 PM
444 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD