boo, dislike button, and if this is true, I will be figting to return it. (outside the 14 days) on the grounds that they had the logo on the presentation, and I really want to skype my son to my parents across the country.
    All the other great stuff and potential about the PB go out the window if i can't use it for this primary reason for purchasing.
    fingers crossed. sent emails.
    05-09-11 09:51 AM
    The combined sales number of the lackluster sale of the Motorola Xoom and the limited stock Asus Transformer account for most of the Android Honeycomb 3 tablets out there.
    Once the Blackberry PlayBook is realease world wide I imagine the user base to be quite comparable if it is not already. Skype needs to bump PlayBook development at least on par with Android and RIM better be sending milk and cookies daily over until they do...
    05-09-11 10:05 AM
    boo, dislike button, and if this is true, I will be figting to return it. (outside the 14 days) on the grounds that they had the logo on the presentation, and I really want to skype my son to my parents across the country.
    All the other great stuff and potential about the PB go out the window if i can't use it for this primary reason for purchasing.
    fingers crossed. sent emails.
    I really understand what you are feeling. The fanbois will say that that image was "just a placeholder" and doesn't count, but I dont agree at all. If Skype doesn't come, at best, that image was misleading, and at worse, it was false advertising. Like you, it was one of the reasons why I purchased a Playbook - to be able to Skype and MSN on a portable device.
    05-09-11 10:20 AM
    I was hoping both Skype and Kindle would have apps out within the first 30 days of release, as those were the 2 apps I was wanting the most for my Playbook. So far, luck hasn't been on my side.
    05-09-11 10:42 AM
    I really understand what you are feeling. The fanbois will say that that image was "just a placeholder" and doesn't count, but I dont agree at all. If Skype doesn't come, at best, that image was misleading, and at worse, it was false advertising. Like you, it was one of the reasons why I purchased a Playbook - to be able to Skype and MSN on a portable device.
    I am pretty sure somewhere in the small print it may say this was
    a simulated screen...

Common practice.

False advertising would be if you purchased something and it was
    not what you thought you purchased. Being that you never purchased Skype
    or that the box never said it had Skype included you would be left
    standing with your lawyers bill in your hand in the parking lot of the court house. Thats all.

I came into this knowing it would be lacking apps for a while. Yes I push for them, I am hard on crappy apps, but in the end I know what I purchased, what it is capable of doing and what it currently does not have or may never have.

It's called being an informed buyer.

Push but don't threaten things you can not deliver on. Be happy and see what happens. If you can't do that, take it back, sell it, toss it in the dumpster.

Just my thoughts.....

Tim
    poe434 likes this.
    05-09-11 12:39 PM
    This is a great option - THANKS !
    05-09-11 01:50 PM
    I am pretty sure somewhere in the small print it may say this was
    a simulated screen...

Common practice.

False advertising would be if you purchased something and it was
    not what you thought you purchased. Being that you never purchased Skype
    or that the box never said it had Skype included you would be left
    standing with your lawyers bill in your hand in the parking lot of the court house. Thats all.

I came into this knowing it would be lacking apps for a while. Yes I push for them, I am hard on crappy apps, but in the end I know what I purchased, what it is capable of doing and what it currently does not have or may never have.

It's called being an informed buyer.

Push but don't threaten things you can not deliver on. Be happy and see what happens. If you can't do that, take it back, sell it, toss it in the dumpster.

Just my thoughts.....

Tim
    Skype is the main internet standard for video chatting. i'm not concerned about the apps cost within reason, but thinking the front camera is there for a shotty adobe app, the strange reelportal app (which i'll never be able to explain to my mom. she'll just be like "why cant you just skype??"), or a pb only app with no hint of a desktop version in sight just doesn't make sence.

we need to know something good is coming. google video would be great. something solid, and cross platform-computers, tablets, tvs and phones, and skype is leading right now.

SOOooooooooooo..... thats why i want it on our pb's. no, we dont need fart apps, but without some solid options, we'll all be left with an expensive killer portable browser that everyone shuns (att, hulu, hbogo at the moment which is super buggy, and now Skype if this is true..)whats next? THE INTERNET???
    05-09-11 10:33 PM
    All. This is the reply which I have recieved from Skype. Not good news at the minute I am afraid.

I really feel we need to continually hit them with emails and show that the demand is there.

I emailed Tony Bates (CEO)
    [email protected]

The reply as you can see is from Neil Stevens (VP&GM Consumer)
    [email protected]

So reading into this it looks like we could be waiting until we are able to run Android Apps
    similar response. let me know if you want a screenshot.. i tried.
    ------------

Thanks for your note regarding Skype for Blackberry Playbook. Developing Skype for a new platform is a significant investment and while we hope the Playbook will be a huge hit, we have other higher priority opportunities to deliver on this year, including Skype for iPad, Android tablets and Windows Phone 7, all of which are beginning to sell in large numbers. If the Playbook is a success than you can be sure Skype will optimise an experience for the product.

Best regards*
    Neil Stevens
    VP&GM Consumer
    05-16-11 05:17 PM
    SOOooooooooooo..... thats why i want it on our pb's. no, we dont need fart apps, but without some solid options, we'll all be left with an expensive killer portable browser that everyone shuns (att, hulu, hbogo at the moment which is super buggy, and now Skype if this is true..)whats next? THE INTERNET???
    Hulu, netflix, etc tend to block all non-PC browsers in practice. They shun non-PC browsers period.
    05-16-11 05:25 PM
    Here's a reply I got form SKYPE today :

Thanks for your note regarding Skype for Blackberry Playbook. Developing Skype for a new platform is a significant investment and while we hope the Playbook will be a huge hit, we have other higher priority opportunities to deliver on this year, including Skype for iPad, Android tablets and Windows Phone 7, all of which are beginning to sell in large numbers. If the Playbook is a success than you can be sure Skype will optimise an experience for the product.

Best regards
    Neil Stevens
    VP&GM Consumer

It seems to me that Playbook is pretty far down the list of urgency for any app developers. Much as I do love this product, and I am a faithful BB user (Torch, Bold, Curve, Pearl, etc.) Rim had best step up their game and get the things their users WANT, and they had best do it f a s t . Certainly faster than they are doing so up to this point. Otherwise dedicated consumers such as myself become disenchanted (not yet but soon), lose patience (5/10 right now), and horror of horrors, jump ship to Android or worse yet, Apple (BUT NEVER WINDOWS). Keeping aMail out of appworld for example is just another way of thumbing their noses at their most needed customers. Yes it's all coming but a month into the release we are all still waiting. Eveyone is finding other ways to get a SKYPE , Twitter, MSN experience. But they (I) want the real deal.
    05-16-11 05:40 PM
    If the app is developed on Android it's a fairly easy port to PB.

Notice they didn't even mention that... And WP7 is a priority because of a different reason... There are more BB (even os5 + os6 only) devices than WP7 devices BY FAR...
    05-16-11 05:43 PM
    "Once" we get android app support. Wouldn't we (playbookers) be able to use the skype thats in (or will be in) the android market? I hope so...
    05-16-11 05:43 PM
    "Once" we get android app support. Wouldn't we (playbookers) be able to use the skype thats in (or will be in) the android market? I hope so...
    They have to port the app. You can't literally use the same android application that is posted to the AMP.

But the port is easy. They didn't mention it....
    05-16-11 05:48 PM
    Is this news True about SKYPE on seen on Blackberry Playbook in India ?

LINK

and also see this LINK

not sure of the authenticity of these sites. but if it is true and what is RIM waiting for ?
    05-16-11 05:48 PM
    Is this news True about SKYPE on seen on Blackberry Playbook in India ?

LINK

and also see this LINK

not sure of the authenticity of these sites. but if it is true and what is RIM waiting for ?
    old screensnots.. meaningless.
    05-16-11 06:06 PM
    The saga continues..

Yes we would Jason, if we can get enough performance from the device for
    encode/decode... Not sure yet how the android apps will actually be
    implemented on the playbook, if its a simple implementation then clearly
    we would want to support... If its some kind of emulation mode,we may not
    have the hardware performance we need..
    On 17/05/2011 00:24, "Jason " <
    @hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Do you know if you would be willing to sign the android version for the
    >playbook? I'm sure you know that the playbook will be able to run android
    >apps this summer and that could be a quick easy port.
    >Thank you,
    >Jason
    >Sent via Jay's CrackBerry
    >
    >-----Original Message-----
    >From: Neil Stevens <
    [email protected]>
    >Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 19:37:47
    >To: <
    @hotmail.com>; <
    [email protected]>
    >Subject: Re: Skype for playbook
    >
    >Thanks for your note regarding Skype for Blackberry Playbook. Developing
    >Skype for a new platform is a significant investment and while we hope
    >the Playbook will be a huge hit, we have other higher priority
    >opportunities to deliver on this year, including Skype for iPad, Android
    >tablets and Windows Phone 7, all of which are beginning to sell in large
    >numbers. If the Playbook is a success than you can be sure Skype will
    >optimise an experience for the product.
    >
    >
    >Best regards
    >Neil Stevens
    >VP&GM Consumer

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 06:20 PM
    aka theyve looked into it about as much as your average person off the street has...

05-17-11 06:24 PM
    I really can't believe it. They are either stringing us along and it will be available with the next update or they simply don't care about the platform.
    05-17-11 07:09 PM
    I really can't believe it. They are either stringing us along and it will be available with the next update or they simply don't care about the platform.
    Give it time gents. Remember.. More bees with honey. We'll get to the mountaintop, and when we do, we'll broadcast it on skype for all the world to see..

I'm being patient simply because I dig the size and browser, bridge for email is great (need more support for certain attachments, etc..) Youtube movies and john stewart etc.. Look slick.. We'll get some great stuff in time, but remember, apple, android etc will continue to get dibs on stuff over us for more reasons than I care to get into at the moment.

05-17-11 09:02 PM
    aka theyve looked into it about as much as your average person off the street has...

Since no average person has been allowed to port android apps, this statement is correct. When RIM let's them try it (beta android snadbox?), AFTER their android app is ready, and the final sandbox for android apps is ready. we'll likely get an answer.

05-17-11 09:06 PM
    you missed the whole point... they werent even the ones to mention porting, a user was... they are not looking into it at all, native or port, considering the android versions arent even done

05-17-11 10:42 PM
    will microsoft buying skype and microsoft - RIM partnership speed things along maybe? RIM makes Bing default search (hopefully with the option to remove it!) qnd microsoft ORDERS skype developers to write a playbook specific app.... none of this android porting sloppy seconds stuff
    05-17-11 10:44 PM
    I am the creator of the "Blackberry Playbook Application Initiative". I am gathering information on how to contact third-party applications and tell them that we want a version for the Playbook.

Skype currently has an ongoing forum thread here:

Skype on Blackberry Playbook - Skype Community

I would strongly recommend that you continue this discussion on their forums or else they have no idea of the demand from the Blackberry Playbook community.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by technomensch; 05-23-11 at 10:27 AM.
    05-23-11 10:22 AM
    Rim had best step up their game and get the things their users WANT, and they had best do it f a s t . Certainly faster than they are doing so up to this point. Otherwise dedicated consumers such as myself become disenchanted (not yet but soon), lose patience (5/10 right now), and horror of horrors, jump ship to Android or worse yet, Apple (BUT NEVER WINDOWS). Keeping aMail out of appworld for example is just another way of thumbing their noses at their most needed customers. Yes it's all coming but a month into the release we are all still waiting. Eveyone is finding other ways to get a SKYPE , Twitter, MSN experience. But they (I) want the real deal.
    Upgrading to OS 6 on my BB 9300 and all of the constant problems with the BB Bridge have finally disenchanted me (along with RIM tech support being far less than knowledgeable of their own products or even how to access options - I knew more about the way the phone works than the support agents I've wasted my time with - and why is a Canadian company doing their support from the USA?). I'm still patient though that RIM, being Canadian, will pull through (hopefully also getting an NHL team in Hamilton). If they ever get bought out, I'm jumping ship.

While there are a couple good games and I like using it for YouTube, the Playbook has thus far been disappointing (not the picture quality which is amazing).

I'm not a Skype user, but if it became available for the PB, I'd absolutely buy it. Personally I'm crossing my fingers for a Netflix.ca app - which isn't sounding much more likely - but should be essential and preloaded IMO. If the PB doesn't get one of those soon, I'm dropping Netflix until they do.

I'm still pro-RIM outside of bantering with other RIM supporters I even scored a BB pen, which made me happy.

Cheers,
    06-10-11 01:13 PM
    Once the PlayBook makes it's global debut, units will sell off the shelf, demand will be strong and the apps will be plentiful!

India and China's sales figures will put the PlayBook on the world stage and leave the naysayers with egg on their face.

PlayBook is in it's infancy and by the end of the summer, beginning of fall, I predict the PlayBook to be a strong selling, high performance tablet machine!!!

My predictions;

-Native Email, Tasks, Calendar and BBM - No Doubt;
    -BBM goes cross platform (Android, WP7, iOS);
    -Skype - You Bet!
    06-10-11 07:10 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD