Does the app store have Skype? If so how does it run on the PB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 09:18 PM
    I think right now only plus.im is working in the browser, text only, no voice. Shape Services said they are making a PlayBook app that has Skype chat.
    04-19-11 09:25 PM
    I have that on the phone, less than ideal. Was hoping for a genuine Skype App.
    04-19-11 09:34 PM
    Not yet. I'm sure its coming. I read somewhere the other day that there were pictures/builds of Skype apps being leaked that showed front/back camera support and video calls in addition to just voice and chat like the current BB apps.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-19-11 09:43 PM
    I hope they make a Yahoo messneger with video call, OoVoO, Skype and BBM with video soon.
    04-19-11 11:52 PM
    I hope they make a Yahoo messneger with video call, OoVoO, Skype and BBM with video soon.
    I would bet there is a BBM videochat FaceTime-like feature in the works...
    04-20-11 11:21 AM
    Does the app store have Skype? If so how does it run on the PB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Its coming!
    algutier likes this.
    04-21-11 03:09 PM
    how soon, that's the question.
    04-21-11 03:45 PM
    its confirmed that Skype is coming to Playbook... but the people behind Skype doesn't know when it will be available for Playbook...

i've just got an email from Skype about this.
    04-21-11 05:44 PM
    nope.. just like everything else u would expect to have access too...
    04-23-11 01:28 PM
    This screenshot was taken on the official BlackBerry website for Canada (should be the same images for the USA). You can see both Facebook and Skype apps at the top of the PlayBook. I bet the official Skype is finally coming... let's hope it's not another Verizon only app.
    pyroinsano likes this.
    04-23-11 03:31 PM
    Lol, typical Blackberry appworld $2.99, when free for iphone!
    04-23-11 06:41 PM
    And again we're all getting excited about fake promo screenshots...
    dothadamthang likes this.
    04-23-11 07:12 PM
    And again we're all getting excited about fake promo screenshots...
    LMAO!.... Exactly
    04-23-11 09:34 PM
    I really hope this comes out soon. Any more information on it?
    javieraua likes this.
    05-05-11 03:17 PM
    i think it would be a bad idea to use a company's logo without talking to the company to see if they are going to make an app in the first place. Its probably safe to assume that its coming.
    05-05-11 04:39 PM
    Just emailed Skype. I will keep you updated if and when I get a response.
    I really do think this one bit of software will have a lot to do with the success of the PB.
    05-06-11 12:12 PM
    I would bet there is a BBM videochat FaceTime-like feature in the works...
    God I hope so...that would amaziiiiiiing!!!
    05-06-11 12:33 PM
    I emailed skype as well. Has anyone gotten anything back from them that is not a computer response? I would gladly pay $10 for this app
    05-08-11 11:43 AM
    No - not even an automated response. I use it quite a bit to text my colleagues, use it for conference calls, and to connect to the internet in airports were it's not a free connection, when i need quick access for my laptop at higher bit rates than i can get tethered and connected via VPN. So i am not one of those freebee users, but have an account. Still only silence.
    05-08-11 06:37 PM
    Still nothing back from them here although it was Friday when I sent. I did email the CEO direct as well. Will be interesting to see if I get anything back this week. This is an app I would gladly pay for.
    05-08-11 07:18 PM
    i got a non-automated response, but they just said it was still in development, no real information.

"Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.
    We understand your concern regarding the BlackBerry Playbook supporting the Skype application. We will be glad to assist you with this.
    We can see how this can be helpful.
    Checking on our Skype updates from the development team, the Skype application for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet released. Our development team are currently making ways to make BlackBerry Playbooks as well as other devices to support the Skype application on their system.
    If this is not yet released/submitted, this means that this is currently being processed by our development team.
    Once this has been tested and guaranteed to work this will be released. To be able to know when the application for your device will be released, we will be posting this on our website at www.skype.com"

thats it
    robertyhn likes this.
    05-08-11 08:55 PM
    All. This is the reply which I have recieved from Skype. Not good news at the minute I am afraid.

Hi Shaun, thanks for your note. I am pleased you find Skype a great product, we certainly are very proud of the way it enhances people's lives.

We currently have no plans for the PlayBook, we are watching the tablet market carefully and will soon be launching our iPad app, followed by Android for Honeycomb. The investment in a new platform is pretty significant for us, and we generally prefer to see if the product is going to be a success in the market before we develop software.

Hopefully the PlayBook will be a hit for RIM, and if so we will create a version of Skype for the product at that time.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for right now !.

Best Regards
    Neil Stevens
    VP&GM Consumer

I really feel we need to continually hit them with emails and show that the demand is there.

I emailed Tony Bates (CEO)
    [email protected]

The reply as you can see is from Neil Stevens (VP&GM Consumer)
    [email protected]

So reading into this it looks like we could be waiting until we are able to run Android Apps
    05-09-11 12:45 AM
    For the time being you can use https://plus.im
    Works for me.
    mfreedmn97 likes this.
    05-09-11 04:35 AM
    I am so pi***d right now at the latest news from Skype regarding the Playbook. This is one of the apps that I most needed on my device considering no one else has a Playbook so the existing video chat option is utterly useless to me. I'm really hoping that Skype changes it mind or that MSN Video Chat get's released so that there is really cross-platform chat capabilities on the Playbook.

PS; I dont think the android version will work on the Playbook since its being coded for Version 3 and not the version that we will be getting so that's not an option either. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
    05-09-11 09:25 AM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD