Honestly, just sharing my point of view, Skype will never be available for the Playbook.

Just because Skype is more difficult to develop than you think. It's not just a program that opens a connection like a web browser and that's it. It's encrypted, uses multiple packages, reroutes around routers, high latency included, and takes all capabilities of the system...

And I believe a development of Skype for the PlayBook at the moment is not possible, due to 2 main facts:

1. No NDK - without, forget it. No possible ground to program it on.

2. no market - Skype needs a crucial amount of customers to sustain development and be profitable. They even took their time to come out on Honeycomb etc. It's all about the money.
    Even if you make Skype a one-time-fee app at first (2 Dollars) it would struggle. Have of the people who own a PB do not need Skype. Even though you all like to have it, I'm sure. But this is not the average customer anyway.

If we're lucky the Android Player will be capable and could lead to a quick port of Skype from Android to QNX - but at this moment I highly doubt it.

Sadly, if ever, Skype will not come out this year - that's my opinion. Doesn't make a difference to bomb Skype's forum with 5000 posts... 5000 people is far from enough.

Just think about the fact why Skype never came to the BB phones (except for Verizon, because there they had a partner - and as you can tell, it was no success)
    06-17-11 10:56 PM
    At some point, before the release of the Playbook, RIM was asked about when we would see Skype and they responded that all of the pieces needed to write the software were there and basically they just needed to be glued together. I don't remember the exact quote but I will try to locate it.
    06-17-11 11:23 PM
    These guys at SKYPE are not dumb....
    Perhaps the PB will get it with an Android app
    If SKYPE can be done on BB's for VZ then SKYPE can be done on any BB and the PB too.
    Even the simple Nokia 800 was able to use a SKYPE WIFI app.

.. profit, YUP. They make their profit on monthly plans and pay per call. Soon every MS product will have it as a resident app ... adding to the user base.
    06-18-11 01:28 AM
    So, I don't really use these apps too much, but I do have a question... why would you want to pay for skype when you can use reelportal free?
    maestroplaybook and tstrike34 like this.
    06-18-11 01:31 AM
    SmakBerry I guess for some people it comes down to familiarity and habit. I would pay for a Skype app before using Reelportal. I have tried Reelportal but it's just not polished enough at the minute. When the echo is sorted out it may become more useable. For sure you can use a headset but then you are spending money so a free app then really still has a cost associated with it. Then it's not just myself who is changing habits but also that of the people I talk to through Skype.

In all fairness though as much as I would love to have Skype on the PB I haven't even come remotely close to a situation where I have needed it.

I guess the main reason I would like Skype on the PB is that I honestly think the lack of it will cost RIM in lost sales.
    06-18-11 02:09 AM
    So, I don't really use these apps too much, but I do have a question... why would you want to pay for skype when you can use reelportal free?
    And skype only cost when you are dialing out to a landline number. If going skype to skype, it's all free including video chat as that's not going to happen to a landline number.

LOTS of people use skype and is an easy way to leverage the video calling capability of the PB with pretty much any other platform out there. It's the installed base of users that makes it so attractive.

BTW, like the new hair color! Does it make ya feel smarter? (Jokes)
    06-18-11 02:20 AM
    And skype only cost when you are dialing out to a landline number. If going skype to skype, it's all free including video chat as that's not going to happen to a landline number.

LOTS of people use skype and is an easy way to leverage the video calling capability of the PB with pretty much any other platform out there. It's the installed base of users that makes it so attractive.

BTW, like the new hair color! Does it make ya feel smarter? (Jokes)
    oh ok, wasn't aware of the landline thing. I've used live messenger a few times to talk to my nieces and nephew back home. Worked well for the few times that I've done it.
    I'm much more smarter now and I talk good two now
    06-18-11 02:36 AM
    I'm much more smarter now and I talk good two now
    Lol, nice... BTW, you have some beautiful country around you up there. I was in Banff and we came through Calgary. Was a great place for a company trip! And one **** of a walk up the side of the mountain near Lake Louise to get to the teahouse....
    06-18-11 03:06 AM
    Lol, nice... BTW, you have some beautiful country around you up there. I was in Banff and we came through Calgary. Was a great place for a company trip! And one **** of a walk up the side of the mountain near Lake Louise to get to the teahouse....
    haha that entire sentence was a grammar mess...

Yes, amazing here, I love it.
    06-18-11 03:39 AM
    reroutes around routers,
    06-18-11 05:27 AM
    i just found this at blackberry.com
    06-18-11 10:05 AM
    i just found this at blackberry.com
    Sadly, that's a mockup for the BB PB app world. Those apps exist, but on the BB / not the PB.
    06-18-11 10:41 AM
    I think at this point it will only happen after M$ buys RIM
    06-18-11 11:16 AM
    RIM can easilly make improvements for us, by making a Windows and Mac client for the Video Chat we have on Playbook,... then - as soon as the new phones with QNX is released it should be easy to port the Video Chat to them as well.

All possible dev kits are available on both Windows and Mac platforms to create those apps already today.... So I think its more politic than ability issue.
    06-18-11 11:22 AM
    So, explain how Adobe Connect Mobile was created for the PB already? It's a professional grade app, not a giveaway freebie. Maybe Skype just needs to hire better talent... or rethink their business model.
    maestroplaybook likes this.
    06-18-11 02:31 PM
    Sadly, that's a mockup for the BB PB app world. Those apps exist, but on the BB / not the PB.
    That shouldn't be called a mockup - it should be called what it truly was - false advertisment. Pure and simple, the Playbook was advertised as being more than it has actually delivered.

And given the drop of 21% in stock value in one day; the calls from its main investors for the separation of the CEO's; and the calls of investors to say that RIM has been heading in the wrong direction, I doubt very much that Skype or MSN will ever appear on the Playbook. With each passing day, the news for RIM goes from bad to worse - I would be very surprised if any "name brand" apps ever make their way to the Playbook.

I hope I am wrong. I really do as. And I'll be for the first to admit I'm wrong should Skype and MSN become available. But at this point, I highly doubt that we will ever see these apps.
    06-18-11 08:22 PM
    I just saw this on BlackBerry PlayBook, it shows Skype, WLM, Yahoo!, Twitter and others apps... I don't know if it is false advertisement or truly in a near future we will see these apps.

06-19-11 07:24 PM
    I doubt you will ever see Skype on the BlackBerry PlayBook considering that Microsoft Corporation announced the purchase of Skype in a May 2011 press release. Seriously, do you think control-freak Microsoft Corporation will allow Skype on a competing tablet? Another of RIM's trusted premier partners pulling a fast one on the co-CEOs as Nero fiddles and Waterloo burns to the ground. [ Apologies for the mangled historic reference. ]
    06-19-11 08:32 PM
    The value of Skype is the userbase more than the technology. It goes against their business model to exclude and limit users.

If its allowed on Android, why not the PB??
    06-21-11 06:36 PM
    I doubt you will ever see Skype on the BlackBerry PlayBook considering that Microsoft Corporation announced the purchase of Skype in a May 2011 press release. Seriously, do you think control-freak Microsoft Corporation will allow Skype on a competing tablet? Another of RIM's trusted premier partners pulling a fast one on the co-CEOs as Nero fiddles and Waterloo burns to the ground. [ Apologies for the mangled historic reference. ]
    They didn't buy it to go exclusive (only for particular integration). Without the userbase they would kill what the app is.
    06-21-11 06:39 PM
    Considering RIM uses Microsoft's Bing from its Maps to its default search in browser....I wouldn't be so quick to say this.
    06-21-11 06:42 PM
    So, explain how Adobe Connect Mobile was created for the PB already? It's a professional grade app, not a giveaway freebie. Maybe Skype just needs to hire better talent... or rethink their business model.
    y use adobe connect mobile, with my playbook, notebook and others like ipad, iphone, works ok, and video chat playbooks is diferent and better, reggards oscar from Argentina ID Playbook : [email protected]
    06-21-11 06:52 PM
    Skype works thru IMO.im
    06-22-11 05:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD