I was just at the Future Shop on Broadway in Vancouver. The RIM rep said Skype for the PlayBook will be available at launch from the App store. He said it has been confirmed. I guess we'll see on Tuesday.

As for Netflix -- he said no. Perhaps later. Apparently everyone asks for it.
    04-17-11 05:31 PM
    Great news; these are two apps that I view as almost essential for PlayBook success, and more importantly my enjoyment
    04-17-11 05:41 PM
    If this is true, full front facing camera skype - that's huge! It's such a big factor that I'm surprised that we haven't heard about it sooner if true...
    04-17-11 05:45 PM
    If this is true, full front facing camera skype - that's huge! It's such a big factor that I'm surprised that we haven't heard about it sooner if true...
    Yes, I know! I grilled him on it and he said it's confirmed. But the skeptic in me wants to wait til Tuesday to see for myself. I'm hoping others can chime in if they have any other info.
    04-17-11 05:50 PM
    if this is true I'm gonna be ecstatically happy. Skype is the number one 'killer app' for me to have with all my family living far away. I use this all the time. Being able to video chat with them on the PlayBook is going to rock my world for sure!
    04-17-11 05:58 PM
    The sceptic in me wonders if it's one of those versions of skype that doesn't have the front facing camera enabled. If it is enabled that's just one more HUGE reason to buy over the iPad. That, full flash internet, free tethering (yes I know browser bridging but still), essentially a 3G version experience with a wifi version cost, more portable form factor, etc etc!
    04-17-11 06:02 PM
    Thing is, Skype WITH front camera would be another business-oriented 'plus' for the PlayBook. Heck, if I were RIM I'd throw money at Skype even to make sure that app gets there including camera support.
    04-17-11 06:15 PM
    If true, this would be one app on my 'Apps the Playbook needs before I purchase' checklist I can check off.
    04-17-11 06:38 PM
    The sceptic in me wonders if it's one of those versions of skype that doesn't have the front facing camera enabled. If it is enabled that's just one more HUGE reason to buy over the iPad. That, full flash internet, free tethering (yes I know browser bridging but still), essentially a 3G version experience with a wifi version cost, more portable form factor, etc etc!
    I use Skype on my iPhone4 and it works reasonably well. I've been able to switch back and forth between front and back cameras -- can you not do this with the iPad2? I also use Facetime, but of course that is restricted to contacts who have the iPhone or Macs. In any case, having a platform/device agnostic service like Skype on a bigger screen like the PB would be great.
    04-17-11 06:38 PM
    Yes Skype on the iPhone 4 works great. I chat to a few iPhone 4 relatives and their connection is always very strong (over WiFi) I hadn't thought you could use it with the iPad 2? I stand to be corrected though. Even if you can - who wants to hold that moster up infront of their mug for ages? Whereas a nice 7''cher - that's the ticket

Update - it can only be used in stretch mode on the iPad 2 as of yet. That is, it's only out for the iPhone but you can use the iPad and stretch it to kind of fill the screen. From all acocunts it doesn't work as it should by any means. I'm sure they'll get it in time but a killer app like Skype on the PBook at launch would be great! Here's hoping
    Last edited by Brazen9000; 04-17-11 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Googled Skype on the IPad II
    04-17-11 06:51 PM
    I am so hoping you are right.
    04-17-11 08:25 PM
    The rep at Best Buy in Toronto also said the same thing, that Skype would/should be available at launch. But quite frankly, whether it's there at launch of shortly after, so long it's available and it works well and efficiently, that's the most thing for me.
    bquinney likes this.
    04-17-11 08:43 PM
    I somehow don't have my hopes up for this... When did RIM surprise us the last time?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 09:36 PM
    Really hope this is true!!!
    04-17-11 09:42 PM
    This is definitely a possibility. We've seen it in App World in some screenshots.

04-17-11 09:46 PM
    This is definitely a possibility. We've seen it in App World in some screenshots.

Well those are fake promo-mocks so they don't really mean a lot.
    04-17-11 10:10 PM
    Well those are fake promo-mocks so they don't really mean a lot.
    I believe that. But I still feel like it's an indication Skype has been in the works for the Playbook.
    04-18-11 12:49 AM
    Can't find it in App World so far...
    04-19-11 08:21 AM
    anyone see skype yet? I don't get the value of using a propriatary video app, be it facetime, blackberry video or whatever. i'de rather use skype, tango or somethign that can be used across different platforms.
    04-19-11 10:10 AM
    only if any of those actually work well. I have a feeling BBM with video is going to be amazing.
    04-19-11 03:21 PM
    only if any of those actually work well. I have a feeling BBM with video is going to be amazing.
    makes me tingle just thinking about it!
    04-19-11 03:47 PM
    I am using plus.im in my PlayBook browser for Skype chat but it is only chat, no voice or video.
    04-19-11 09:33 PM
    They need to add Skype, Yahoo messenger with video and voice calling, OoVoo and BBM with Video call capability. That would rock! Maybe even an app that can do video call between these apps too.
    04-19-11 11:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD