ive read some conflicting info...some say there is no skype app, others say it's downloadable from the internet....please clarify this.
    12-12-11 08:47 PM
    ive read some conflicting info...some say there is no skype app, others say it's downloadable from the internet....please clarify this.
    there is no native skype app. some people use imo.im website but i didn't like it. peopple that have os 2.0 can download the android version but only works for chat, no video.

so most of us are still waiting for a skype app, but no news if they are even making it.
    12-12-11 08:57 PM
    Does audio work on the OS 2 Android version?
    12-12-11 09:19 PM
    wait i'm not a skype user but when i googled it i came across this?

12-12-11 10:03 PM
    wait i'm not a skype user but when i googled it i came across this?
    That is (pre-PB release) ancient advertising history that has no basis in fact. You can find discussions on this screen shot if you go back to the earliest postings on this forum.
    12-12-11 10:07 PM
    Maybe in OS2 Official release.. but that picture has so many false things...
    starting from the BBM not being native, nor twitter (the current one is an web online version).. no msn or yahoo...

And how can Skype be worth $3, when it's Free for other platforms !!!
    Cpt.GargameL likes this.
    12-12-11 10:09 PM
    skype worked on ONE of the leaked version of the OLD andriod player. But it is not avaliable to my knowledge on new andriod player. It was messaging capabilities only though.(no video/voice chat)
    12-12-11 10:21 PM
    and correct me if im wrong,but RIM chose to disable the Android player to make skype video not work, fearing it would compete with its video chat application.

So if Rim wanted they could make the android skype work on the powerbook?
    12-13-11 04:27 AM
    and correct me if im wrong,but RIM chose to disable the Android player to make skype video not work, fearing it would compete with its video chat application.

So if Rim wanted they could make the android skype work on the powerbook?

They disabled the voice/video in the Dev Beta... I cant remember or havent heard anything (official) stating for a fact that it will be disabled in the public release OS 2.x. Also i dont think they would cripple everything just to stop one specific app from working. They would just block it from the appworld but doing that would also be bad for sales.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-13-11 08:08 AM
    I don't get why this didn't come as a native app or available to download in AppWorld. RIM is slacking on a lot of thousands of apps. Facebook is available but Twitter has to be an icon that opens up the mobile version Lame. I'm looking forward to the actual release of Skype on the PB.
    12-13-11 02:54 PM
    You can look foward, you can look back and in both directions. I have a feeling that there will be no Skype for the pb.
    12-13-11 03:18 PM
    They disabled the voice/video in the Dev Beta... I cant remember or havent heard anything (official) stating for a fact that it will be disabled in the public release OS 2.x. Also i dont think they would cripple everything just to stop one specific app from working. They would just block it from the appworld but doing that would also be bad for sales.
    Why exactly would they choose to do this ONLY in the dev beta? Doesn't make much sense to me.
    12-13-11 04:14 PM
    go to skypes facebook pageand click on support and msg them tell them we want SKYPE! i did that today, and im going to keep doing everyday till we get wat we deserve
    zeldras likes this.
    12-13-11 04:14 PM
    Why exactly would they choose to do this ONLY in the dev beta? Doesn't make much sense to me.
    maybe because they haven't gotten it fully working as yet? well that's what i thought back when the beta first cam out and i was on it.
    01-09-12 07:14 PM
    From what i heared there wont be a skype due to the licenscing issue that it is too expensive to licensce. but i hope im wrong there should be a petition/vote to show the developers of skype that there is a majority of pb user that actually want skype. imo
    01-09-12 07:32 PM
    RIM is slacking on a lot of thousands of apps.
    Skype for iOS wasn't developed by Apple, it was developed by Skype. Skype for Android is the same story. The company you need to convince here is Skype, I'm sure RIM would be happy to have Skype on the platform as it would sell more PBs.

Competing with their video chat is silly. RIM makes no money from the video chat app, and it costs them money to develop and run. It exists purely because they think it will sell more PBs. If Skype wants to do all the work for them and incur the server costs for them (like Skype does on iOS/Android) I think RIM would be pretty happy with that.
    01-09-12 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD