i think we should test the tabbed browsing before judging,maybe is even better in daily use than pc style tabs
    12-28-11 09:23 AM
    It seems that integrated google search doesn't work for me, neither does the tab, I have the pro 1.0.3 version, is there something I dont do right?
    12-28-11 10:01 AM
    Hatax, im loving the look of the tab browsing, looks like it will be very useful. im glad i bought the paid verison last week. AWESOME JOB keep up the good work
    12-28-11 10:03 AM
    1.03 has neither tabs nor google search.
    Thats new in 1.06 which still isnt approved by those lazy appworld people
    Sergag likes this.
    12-28-11 10:04 AM
    All this - Simple Browser free and + looks very good indeed.
    12-28-11 10:37 AM
    I think it is great that the user agent string can be explicitly set by the user
    12-28-11 10:42 AM
    playing with 1.06 basic version till plus version is there.
    Looks pretty cool for now,all the setting i wanted are there it seems,great work hatax.
    If tabs are working like they should,forget the stock browser.
    You said all tabs have their own settings and options,does that mean i can save one tab to have javascript on and another one with javascript off.If yes is it always the same tab with the saved options or just till the browser is closed.
    12-28-11 10:50 AM
    For some reason they approved the description update, and then stopped there without approving either of the two updates!!! Grrrr, now I'll have people asking why the features in the description aren't in the application.... Anyway...

And yes! You can store settings per tab that will persist when the application is closed. So if you turn JavaScript off in one of the tabs, it will stay that way until you go back into options for that tab and change it. So that could be your "javascript disabled" tab and it will remember it.
    12-28-11 11:51 AM
    For some reason they approved the description update, and then stopped there without approving either of the two updates!!! Grrrr, now I'll have people asking why the features in the description aren't in the application.... Anyway...

And yes! You can store settings per tab that will persist when the application is closed. So if you turn JavaScript off in one of the tabs, it will stay that way until you go back into options for that tab and change it. So that could be your "javascript disabled" tab and it will remember it.
    wow that is one damn fantastic feature.
    1.06 basic really feels great at the moment,cant wait for +.
    Are the bookmark line more narrow in this version,or not?
    Cant really tell by the pics.
    For now the browser really looks very mature and well thought.
    If half transparent or floating translucent buttons without a url bar or something similar make it ever in the feature list i really dont need anything like dolphin&co.
    Simplebrowser+ i think is even better than stock by now in my opinion.
    12-28-11 12:07 PM
    Hey HaTaX, the link in the OP isn't working (I hate waiting on App World lol).
    12-29-11 12:58 AM
    Already purchased it a week ago. Just waiting on the update.
    12-29-11 01:05 AM
    Hey HaTaX, the link in the OP isn't working (I hate waiting on App World lol).
    Thanks for pointing that out!!! Fixed!

Also have a teaser for you as to something I may get in a release sooner rather then later...

http://imagebin.org/index.php?mode=image&id=190786

Go to TV Guide, TV Listings, Online Videos, Entertainment News and Celebrity News | TVGuide.com and see if you can spot any differences. (Besides the articles that may have changed)
    12-29-11 02:08 AM
    Lol I saw that you had that working in the IRC (but then my connection fritzed out ). Very cool man
    12-29-11 02:10 AM

Also have a teaser for you as to something I may get in a release sooner rather then later...

Click to view quoted image

Go to TV Guide, TV Listings, Online Videos, Entertainment News and Celebrity News | TVGuide.com and see if you can spot any differences. (Besides the articles that may have changed)
    Oh my goodness, I'm not seeing any ads! if this is the case that is truly awesome
    12-29-11 12:30 PM
    Oh my goodness, I'm not seeing any ads! if this is the case that is truly awesome
    Is that the case with ads in general or just ads on the TVGuide site?
    12-29-11 01:08 PM
    over 3 days in appworlds recently updated list and still no way to download.
    thx rim,gr8t job
    cant wait to have tabs and the other cool features
    12-29-11 01:18 PM
    They're certainly taking their time...
    12-29-11 01:45 PM

Click to view quoted image

The link brings me to a blank screen. What am I doing wrong?
    12-29-11 01:51 PM
    Is that the case with ads in general or just ads on the TVGuide site?
    Dunno but we shall see or HaTax will enlighten us
    12-29-11 02:32 PM
    Sorry that imagebin already pulled the images, thought they survived for 14 days.... Anyway, I've attached the screenshots here as well if you'd still like to look.

And that's with ads in general, TVGuide.com just seems to be an ad heavy site so I thought it may be more noticeable. Remember, this is early phases of this feature, but I think it is something many of you were looking for...

And yes, I'm still waiting for word on approval of the new version. I'm being patient until after the holiday as I know they might be running a small staff right now. Believe me, I want you all to have this ASAP but I'm kind of at the mercy of App World by and large here. Hopefully the reviewer will stop playing with the tabs and click the "approve" button soon..
    Last edited by HaTaX; 12-29-11 at 04:05 PM.
    12-29-11 04:03 PM
    thanks for a great browser, it is faster than the stock browser, will links work i 1.0.6? Following a hyperlink doesn't work in 1.0.3.. Thanks in advance.
    12-29-11 09:17 PM
    Yeah, simple browser is a great browser, though I find that it crashes just as much as the stock browser which for me, unfortunately, is 4-15 times per day.
    12-29-11 09:24 PM
    Looks like the same ad-free result I get using Zirco in Android; are you using the same AdSweep script injection technique?

As for the crashes, that's RIM's fault.. Basically, RIM provides the rendering engine and AdSweeper is an AIR program that does the UI and some other things and passes the web content to RIM's engine for display on the screen.. I find that anything that the RIM browser doesn't handle well, SimpleBrowser won't either.. Nonetheless, it's still a good thing to have: RIM's stock browser's UI leaves a lot to be desired and it's still well worth the price to have all the extra little things that SimpleBrowser provides..

That said, for many web sites where RIM's web engine is crap, I'm still finding that Dolphin in Android is the best bet.. For example, the Yahoo web mail iPad view is so much better than what you get from RIM's browser and it appears to take more than just a user agent setting- there's actually something in the rendering engine that it needs to display properly: the iPad view does not display properly with any of the other browsers I have installed, other than Dolphin..

I looked into porting one of the major browsers over to PlayBook and it's a lot of work- much more than I'm capable of for certain, so the work HaTaX has accomplished with a wrapper is pretty significant..
    12-30-11 11:07 AM
    Just purchased the "+' version without even trying the free as I'm so TIRED of the stock browser poking along or just plain not loading pages. Loading crackberry.com was light speed compared to stock. Thank you, thank you HaTaX! Well done.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-30-11 11:33 AM
    The adblocking routine actually is custom made for the browser, I'm not using a pre-canned method for blocking, but I am using public block lists that are available on the internet. Right now it's just reading in a list of entries from that list and using it to tell the browser what to load and what to skip. I'm looking at adding different block list types to support, like hosts format, regex, etc. You'll also be able to supply a custom URL for it to go download the list from. (Little hint here, you can use locally stored block lists with file:/// in the custom URL)

I'm almost afraid I'll have ad-blocking ready to go before RIM even approves the version that's sitting in queue right now... Hopefully they're not taking to dragging their feet again and its just a result of the holiday season...

And FWIW I actually ported over a browser that is open sourced and uses the Qt framework, it is called Arora. It doesn't have JIT enabled so it is slower overall and generally I found the webkit build RIM used was more up to date, but it was an interesting project. It was exactly like having a desktop browser on the PB, menus and all. Really it was a pain to use without a BT mouse connected, just done as an exercise to get webkit in Qt working so I could move forward with a "different project".

I'm sorry again it's taking so long for the update to be released, RIM just needs to approve it!
    Last edited by HaTaX; 12-30-11 at 12:57 PM.
    Lhendr, rjedge54 and nimrodity like this.
    12-30-11 12:52 PM
716 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD