So, since AppWorld is taking forever to get applications built, and there are members of the community here that are developers of applications we would like to try out! An example is Searching for Humans, they provided a bar file for people to download so they can try their application before it hits AppWorld.

Problem is, most people don't have the desire to install the entire SDK just to push an application to their PB. I decided to take out just the files needed to push a signed bar file to a development mode enabled PB. Also, I created a batch file to make the install process simple and easy from within Windows. (Shouldn't need to drop to a command line to use it) This won't let you load up development / debug bar files, only files signed by the developer will load through this tool.

Here's what you need to do -

Set a password on your Playbook and turn development mode on. (Options -> Security)

You'll want to make sure you have the latest Java Runtime Environment installed on your machine. Right now they're at version 1.6 update 25, and you can download the latest for your system here: Java SE Runtime Environment 6u30 Downloads

And finally download the zip file provided below that has the needed libraries to load the application to your tablet, and a batch file to simplify the installation procedure.

Open the batch file (PB-Instaler.bat) in notepad and edit the lines "TABLETIP" and "TABLETPASS" up at the top to match the hostname or IP address and password on your playbook. (At homescreen press the person icon with the gear in their shirt at the top to get your current IP address) Save the file when you're done.

Now all you have to do is drag a bar file onto the PB-Installer.bat icon. It will launch in a window and start attempting to push it to your device.

I've included my free app from app world, SimpleBrowser, with this zip file.
    You can use this file to test the loading process listed below.

Also included with it now is a new batch file PB-Connect.bat. This file will setup a connection with your PlayBook so you can use the developer mode SSH connection. You really should go create your own private key pair files, but I've included ones that are known to work along with a matching converted PuTTY ppk file for those that just want to get going with it. These key files are 4096 bit and do not require a password, they're just included for convenience.

Open up PB-Connect.bat and set your IP address, password, and change the PUBKEY entry if you would like to use your own public key file. After that you should be good to make a connection to the PlayBook, double click it and you will see the progress in the window.

Once a connection is established you can go into your SSH application and make a connection to the PlayBook, but don't forget to set your private key file before connecting!!! If you're just getting started with SSH and all that, download PuTTY and plug in the IP address of your PlayBook on the first screen, then in options tree on the left navigate to "Connection->SSH->Auth". You want to set the "Private key file for authentication:" to be the included "rsa-putty.ppk" file if you're using the included keys.

Let me know if you try this and how it works for you!

Download PlayBook_Tools.zip

EDIT:
    Made some changes again!!! Now you can drag multiple BAR files onto the batch file and it will load them up one by one, makes it much easier to install multiple applications at once. Additionally I've included another utility, PB-Connect can be used to setup your PlayBook for an incoming SSH session. This is a nice quick way to setup the connection and then you can use PuTTY or your favorite SSH client.
    Last edited by HaTaX; 12-17-11 at 03:08 AM.
    05-14-11 06:07 PM
    nice. thank you for posting this. i hope that more developers who are being held up in the que will allow us to do this.
    05-14-11 09:13 PM
    So has anyone given this a shot? Does it work for you? I'd like to get some feedback on it and make sure it's working smoothly on other people's systems.

Who knows, if this works well enough, I might just throw together a web based installer that developers could use to deploy apps out to users. You would still need a PC in the mix, but it's better then the options we have currently. (None without using AppWorld)
    05-16-11 02:17 PM
    So has anyone given this a shot? Does it work for you? I'd like to get some feedback on it and make sure it's working smoothly on other people's systems.

Who knows, if this works well enough, I might just throw together a web based installer that developers could use to deploy apps out to users. You would still need a PC in the mix, but it's better then the options we have currently. (None without using AppWorld)
    just out of curiosity, how would a web based installer work?
    05-16-11 02:31 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    05-16-11 04:02 PM
    thanks for the info i got it working
    05-16-11 04:45 PM
    I'll give it a try, thanks.
    05-16-11 07:38 PM
    hi
    i am new to pb and this kind of cool stuff.. where i down this pb or desktop. if its desktop then how can i transfer the file pb etc..
    05-20-11 10:18 AM
    DAMN! So freakin' cool!
    I didn't know that I could do this on WiFi!
    Before, I used the USB cable, and today I used WiFi.
    Just make sure both your PC/Laptop and PB use the same WiFi.

Great!
    07-01-11 06:17 PM
    Heh, glad to see some people still use this method! I know someone else here made a nice GUI tool, but I always prefer the KISS route.

Glad it's working for you! It is pretty slick to install an app in just a few seconds like you can do with your BB OTA. (In other words, outside of the "marketplace/store/whatever" app)
    07-01-11 10:48 PM
    So, since AppWorld is taking forever to get applications built, and there are members of the community here that are developers of applications we would like to try out! An example is Searching for Humans, they provided a bar file for people to download so they can try their application before it hits AppWorld.

Problem is, most people don't have the desire to install the entire SDK just to push an application to their PB. I decided to take out just the files needed to push a signed bar file to a development mode enabled PB. Also, I created a batch file to make the install process simple and easy from within Windows. (Shouldn't need to drop to a command line to use it) This won't let you load up development / debug bar files, only files signed by the developer will load through this tool.

Here's what you need to do -

Set a password on your Playbook and turn development mode on. (Options -> Security)

You'll want to make sure you have the latest Java Runtime Environment installed on your machine. Right now they're at version 1.6 update 25, and you can download the latest for your system here: Java SE JRE 6u25 Download

You can grab the Searching for Humans (signed) bar file to test with in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/ne...1/#post6258483

And finally download the zip file provided below that has the needed libraries to load the application to your tablet, and a batch file to simplify the installation procedure.

Open the batch file (PB-Instaler.bat) in notepad and edit the lines "TABLETIP" and "TABLETPASS" up at the top to match the hostname or IP address and password on your playbook. (At homescreen press the person icon with the gear in their shirt at the top to get your current IP address) Save the file when you're done.

Now all you have to do is drag a bar file onto the PB-Installer.bat icon. It will launch in a window and start attempting to push it to your device.

Let me know if you try this and how it works for you!

yes this process will work for me to install bar file to playbook thanks a lots
    Last edited by parthamaz; 07-20-11 at 07:35 AM.
    07-20-11 07:33 AM
    Just a quick note, I've updated the original post with some new information. I've also included my free application for testing inside the ZIP file so there's no need to go dig up a BAR file now.

I also included some instructions with it so you have a reference without needing to dig this thread up for info.
    07-20-11 03:20 PM
    it dosent work
    07-23-11 03:24 PM
    Hmm, and so what did you try and where did it fail?
    07-23-11 04:05 PM
    is this windows only?
    07-23-11 04:21 PM
    The batch file is for windows only, but the files for loading the app can be used on pretty much any system with Java installed. There were some people in the android thread that used it to load the android player from their mac using the files in the ZIP. But the batch file won't do you any good on anything but windows, so you'll have to do it manually from a terminal prompt.
    07-23-11 05:11 PM
    it dont work
    07-24-11 03:49 AM
    thanks for the info i got it working
    how did you get it its not working for me
    07-25-11 08:02 AM
    I asked this on the post on the home page but just to quote and quote and I'm a tad bit serious.

Soooooo, "Does it play Doom", I mean Angry Birds.
    08-06-11 11:38 PM
    the issues i'm having is finding the google file to download the market. Everything else is allready done. Please some help
    08-07-11 12:12 AM
    the issues i'm having is finding the google file to download the market. Everything else is allready done. Please some help
    Wrong thread, but I think what you're looking for can be easily found here:
    "sys.android.bar" google search

Or even just search around on these forums for "sys.android.bar".
    08-07-11 12:15 AM
    This looks very promising. However, I'm having trouble getting past the part: "drag a bar file onto the PB-Installer.bat icon". I get a dos window popup with this message when I try the sample SimpleBrowser file: "Java.exe was not found in your path, is the Java runtime installed? Exiting..." I've already installed Java. Does it have to be installed to a particular directory?

Thanks in advance!
    08-07-11 11:23 AM
    This looks very promising. However, I'm having trouble getting past the part: "drag a bar file onto the PB-Installer.bat icon". I get a dos window popup with this message when I try the sample SimpleBrowser file: "Java.exe was not found in your path, is the Java runtime installed? Exiting..." I've already installed Java. Does it have to be installed to a particular directory?

Thanks in advance!
    Having the ability to run Java in your web browser doesn't necessarily mean that you have the JRE installed. That error means the JRE can't be found and you need to download and install the correct version for your OS, get it here: Java SE JRE 6u25 Download

I've seen others run into this error because they had the 32 bit JRE loaded on a 64 bit system, make sure you select the right architecture at the link above!
    cxn147 likes this.
    08-07-11 12:58 PM
    Hey hatax for pb ip address where i find it? Is it IPv4 or MAC address?
    08-07-11 01:27 PM
    Thanks for the reply. You're absolutely right...I had downloaded the wrong version! D'oh!

I got it working. Thanks, and really brilliant work!
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-07-11 01:47 PM
118 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD