Just tried "simple browser" and speeds are excellent, was wondering if anyone has feedback on it and is it safe to use for banking etc? There doesn't seem to be any place that stores history?
    KermEd likes this.
    12-13-11 08:09 PM
    chances are that like other apps, all info it retains like cache are in its program folder wihin the playbook filesystem. i think its like /var/apps/* or somethink like that. if youre dingled or if you use a file browser like files&folders you can find it and all files pertaining to the program is contained in one folder.

as for safety, dunno until someone tracks the output or someone figures out their a victim of something. but its neat that it can bypass the pb timer. will be trying it out
    12-13-11 08:22 PM
    Glad you like the speed of it! I'm actually the developer of it and so my word is probably not going to make you feel any better about using it, but take a look around here and you can evaluate what type of a person I am by my posts.

There's no trickery going on in there, it's actually using the same web engine as the stock browser, but with a much lighter weight interface and the ability to full screen browse. Ohh yeah, and it keeps your device from going to sleep while it's open.

Other then all that, I personally promise there's nothing in this app to capture information and that your web browsing will be as secure as it is with the stock browser.

BTW - Just waiting for approval for the new version of my plus browser, it will add the ability to modify your user agent as well!
    12-13-11 08:24 PM
    Glad you like the speed of it! I'm actually the developer of it and so my word is probably not going to make you feel any better about using it, but take a look around here and you can evaluate what type of a person I am by my posts.

There's no trickery going on in there, it's actually using the same web engine as the stock browser, but with a much lighter weight interface and the ability to full screen browse. Ohh yeah, and it keeps your device from going to sleep while it's open.

Other then all that, I personally promise there's nothing in this app to capture information and that your web browsing will be as secure as it is with the stock browser.

BTW - Just waiting for approval for the new version of my plus browser, it will add the ability to modify your user agent as well!
    Ahh, so it's the same browser app that was being sideloaded previously? I didn't use OS2 so never got a chance to try it. The browser is awesome, thanks for the work! The app icon could do with a refresh though, it's so 90's lol Other than that, it's sweet as...
    12-13-11 08:30 PM
    What was wrong with the 90s!?!?! Kidding, duly noted and really this was just a starter app for me many months ago to try the waters with app world. I've made some changes and improvements that will trickle down now that its approved.
    12-13-11 08:37 PM
    Downloaded the lite version to give it a go before deciding to buy the real deal. Now knowing that Hatax developed it I might just do that sooner rather than later. What's in the full version vs. the lite?
    12-13-11 08:37 PM
    HaTaX, yet again you're my freaking hero!! We need to start thinking of all the sites this will help with. One big one that comes to mind is Hulu! What others?

If you add some real bookmark management to this thing I'd gladly pay $5 or more for it. Make the default user agent configurable per bookmark and I might just give you $10 for it and never use the standard browser again! Congrats on getting it into AppWorld finally!
    12-13-11 08:43 PM
    Plus version just adds bookmarks right now along with the ability to set your home page.

It has one cool feature, remember the last site you were on. So if you close it, it will go right back to your last page when you re-open it again.

The feature I'm waiting to be approved is changing the user agent string. You'll be able to pick from iPad, Android, Desktop Firefox, and also enter your own custom string if you like. That way you always get the desktop version of webpages. Hopefully they'll approve it soon and those three features I think help the plus version stand out from the free one and make it worth the $2.
    12-13-11 08:50 PM
    Can you rearrange and rename the bookmarks in the current version?
    12-13-11 08:54 PM
    Pretty cool. I really like it and thank you for taking the time to create it. I also agree with a previous post that the icon is really, really 90's cheesy. With SO many cool artsy choices.....you picked THAT one?!? Why not hold a contest here in Crackberry and let us choose the icon from submitted entries? Hm?
    12-13-11 09:00 PM
    Huh.. Would changing the User Agent allow for.. Hulu and Netflix?

^Noob Question. Lol.
    12-13-11 09:19 PM
    Huh.. Would changing the User Agent allow for.. Hulu and Netflix?

^Noob Question. Lol.
    Will give you working Hulu, I believe, (can u confirm, Hatax?) but not a working Netflix.. Netflix will need a lot more since it uses Silverlight, which doesn't exist in the Playbook.

Good news is I saw a report by some of the guys looking at latest v2.0 build with root access via Dingleberry that there appear to be some netflix related files in there, so maybe we'll get a netflix client with the OSv2 release in Feb? Who know?
    12-13-11 09:24 PM
    this sounds very good im going to take the lite version out for a test drive right now.i hope they approve the user agent change that sounds awesome.
    12-13-11 09:24 PM
    Actually the icon is just a picture of the globe that was pixelated... LOL, it was an open source picture and I kinda liked the patchwork appearance of it. (You can actually see it in the splash screen, not so much on the icon)

I had someone offer to help me out in that department so I may take them up on the offer! Honestly, aesthetics is NOT my strong suit when programming. Efficiency and speed however, those are high on my list.

Yes you can rename your bookmarks and edit them! Right now you can't re-arrange them, but that is a coming feature that I'll implement. Heh, I didn't think this thing would see the light of day in AppWorld honestly.
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-13-11 09:34 PM
    Hatax, I'm seeing one annoying bug (I think) in the pro version.. If I load a page, then click at end of location bar and start backspacing to remove current URL so I can type in another, the URL keeps getting rewritten to the location bar as I hit backspace, making it difficult to type in a new URL..

Am I missing something obvious, or doing something stupid? Running latest OS2 release.. Thoughts?
    12-13-11 09:38 PM
    I had someone offer to help me out in that department so I may take them up on the offer! Honestly, aesthetics is NOT my strong suit when programming. Efficiency and speed however, those are high on my list.

Yes you can rename your bookmarks and edit them! Right now you can't re-arrange them, but that is a coming feature that I'll implement. Heh, I didn't think this thing would see the light of day in AppWorld honestly.
    Minimalism is always pretty.

Sell the .Bar file.

EDIT: I read that wrong. I meant sell the .Bar if they won't let you do browser indent switching.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 12-13-11 at 09:45 PM.
    12-13-11 09:38 PM
    Heh, I didn't think this thing would see the light of day in AppWorld honestly.
    Considering how long ago you submitted it, I didn't either.. Did RIM give you any explanation about what took so dang long?

Side note: Do you tweet? If so, what is your handle.

Another side note: PM me your PayPal account, if you have one. I'd like to send you a small thank you donation for all your efforts. I use your command line sideloading script almost ever day!
    12-13-11 09:43 PM
    Excellent app. I just bought the Pro version.

To me it seems quite a bit faster than the stock browser (OS2). Crackberry comes up and works fast in this browser. Very nice.
    12-13-11 09:45 PM
    Yeah, and since this is a version that was submitted LONG ago the codebase has been improved on since. I didn't do much tweaking with the free version as I figured that's really just for people that want to open media in one browser, and go use the stock one for browsing. That or to have a webpage take the whole screen.

I'll put some time into fixing all the little issues now, and yeah Mojoski that one with the URL re-writing is a pain and one I've recently fixed. It's just trying to update the text bar with the most current info, and isn't watching to see if you have focus on it. Also, I appreciate the offering for a donation, but I do it all because I enjoy it and I like to see people enjoy their gadgets as much as they can.

Thanks again for all the kind words and support everyone, I appreciate it!
    12-13-11 09:50 PM
    Great app. Just bought the paid version to support your efforts. One question: any idea why Amazon video streams stop when you switch away? I get the same behavior in stock browser and was hoping this would solve my issue. Is a workaround possible? Thanks.
    12-13-11 10:09 PM
    damn,i cant buy the app,appearently appworld wont let me continue at the buying process.
    with the option disable javascript this could get my default browser.
    I like the fullscreen,but even with the bar its better than native,because i can acces the bookmarks directly from the topbar which is smaller than the native ones.I think just half the size.
    I hope appworld is working soon,cant wait to get bookmarks.
    12-13-11 10:40 PM
    Huh, I thought the streams would continue to play even when you switch away, that was one of the intents of it as back in the previous 1.0.6 versions of the OS the stock browser didn't stop playing... Which OS are you using?

I'm going to be fleshing out the options available in the application, I'm sure javascript disabling will be included.
    12-13-11 11:14 PM
    Great app. Just bought the paid version to support your efforts. One question: any idea why Amazon video streams stop when you switch away? I get the same behavior in stock browser and was hoping this would solve my issue. Is a workaround possible? Thanks.
    Do you have showcase mode enabled?
    12-13-11 11:27 PM
    Re: hulu

KermEd's Browser cannot trick hulu using the various User Agents he allows. Someone mentioned that there is possibly some other "string" or info that they key in on that locks us out. Maybe Hatax has it figured out.
    12-13-11 11:49 PM
    There's a block for Hulu in the library that the stock browser uses, and unfortunately I'm bound to the same library. However, that's a task right up Dingleberry's alley.

On a good note it looks like the second version just got released into app world which has the user agent string changing. I'm working on a few bug fixes and some other things to get into another release in the next day or two.
    12-14-11 12:34 AM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD