Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SifJar
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Simle app requests, anyone?

I am thinking about trying to make a few apps to try and qualify for RIM's offer of the Dev Alpha C, but I don't really have many ideas. Does anyone have any requests for apps you think would be relatively simple, but yet would serve a useful purpose? I want to be contributing something useful, rather than making another iteration of apps already available (like I did with UberCurrency to get my PlayBook ). Obviously I'm not talking about stuff like a Skype or Netflix client , but hopefully I should be able to manage something quite a bit simpler if anyone has any suggestions.

Obviously I'm not going to make any guarantees about being able to make any app, but feel free to fire away with your requests and I'll see what I can do.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    Herve5 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

- A native offline Wikipedia? (1)

- An OpenStreetmap offline map that keeps simple (no overambitious turn-by-turn driving...) but allows regular updates straight from OSM? (possibly with track recording) (2)

For both these topics there indeed exist actual code available, but not yet cooked la Playbook

Good luck, in any case!
    Herv

(1) product is just missing on PB, need to buy an adroid port that's based on (at best) one year old OSM maps. Great visibility. Think about making various languages available and how to update 'pedias.
    (2) there are some mapping products bur most are poor android ports, and all are overambitious, getting horribly complex and faulty behaviors. Aiming for simplicity would be remarkable.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

To be honest, I was probably thinking something quite a bit simpler than those things. I know it should still be useful, but I'm sure there are bound to be some simpler things than those. I'd be hoping to make the app with the WebWorks SDK probably (i.e. HTML etc.) rather than the NDK (i.e. C++), as I don't really know enough C(++) yet to do much with it (although I am trying to learn).

EDIT: Having said this, I'll maybe take a little time to look at the existing code you mentioned, although I highly doubt I'll be able to do anything with it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

how about porting a game
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,891 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RDilux View Post
    how about porting a game
    Unless the game is open source [or SifJar made it himself] that would definitely be against the law...
    Check out my app: CChecker
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    Unless the game is open source [or SifJar made it himself] that would definitely be against the law...
    i was talking about an open source game yes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

A podcatcher app. The native app is awful. It doesn't even need a ton of features, just the ability to search for and subscribe to very well known podcassts would be a big step up.
    Podcaster, host of The DexterCast, an introcast for the Showtime series Dexter. Two of us have seen Dexter before, the other two are watching for the first time.
    CrackBerry User

A simple program to track employee hours through the week (or work period). Start time, finish time, lunch hour, travel time. And the ability to send the info via pdf, email or export as excel.........

Next ability to accept a signature on a pdf document, IE: workorders to be signed by the customer after work completed.....

How about a simple RSS reader to sync with Google Reader? You'd have my eternal gratitude!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Simle app requests, anyone?

I think this will be usefull dunno mybe if you get a chanse, a download manager a simple one, just that you can pause and resume, maybe even choose directory, but if your interested any thing will do xD
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of phones: BB!

How about a household inventory app for insurance purposes. Need to take a photo, add name of item, maybe a quantity field, serial # field, purchase price., purchase date, value/replacement value. PLUS a notes section.

Get with an insurance adjuster or agent for details of what's required for their needs.
    It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
    CrackBerry User

+1 for the podcatcher app. Anyone outside Nth America doesn't get the native one.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I fear I may have been foolish to think I could contribute any useful app to the community with my limited knowledge of programming etc. I'm afraid everything listed here is much more advanced than anything I could manage Apologies if I got anyone's hopes up.