Hello , pardon my ignorance , but I was wondering if 2.0 will still have a developer's mode and the ability of sideloading .bar files ?

Thanks in advance.

I was considering updating to beta and sideloading some apps , but if it's going to be possible under 2.0 official I might just wait it out. Also , again a dumb question , but if I was to update to beta and sideload apps that were not part of berryapp world , would those apps be left alone and still work under 2.0 ?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-12-12 11:04 PM
    Hello , pardon my ignorance , but I was wondering if 2.0 will still have a developer's mode and the ability of sideloading .bar files ?

if I was to update to beta and sideload apps that were not part of berryapp world , would those apps be left alone and still work under 2.0 ?
    Sideloading isn't going anywhere, developers depend on it. Additionally, BBOS has always allowed sideloading. I would expect apps to continue working, however it's always possible for that to change. I'm sure RIM will be making changes to the Android player between the beta and release.
    KermEd and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-12-12 11:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I'll probably update to beta just because february is so darn long away and I can't resist.
    01-12-12 11:43 PM
    You wont find as much in the current update as you might think. Also if you do make a backup! RIM is known to requiring a security wipe inbetween Android Runtime updates.

Its happened twice to me so far And im fully expecting it to go to OS2 official release. Otherwise when you click on the Android files they will just bounce on the dock but nt launch.
    Snyder81 likes this.
    01-13-12 01:56 AM
    Required Security Wipes ??? WOW !!!
    That will create a LOT of negative comments and press if it is still that way in the official OS2.0 release ! Lets hope RIM finds a way around this ... and fast !
    01-13-12 02:08 AM
    Will the full OS2.0 include an Android player that you can re-package .apk into .bar files and sideload as well?

Also for the people who have been doing this already, how smooth do the apps run compared to the same app in native form off appworld?

The reason I'm asking is the ludicrous markup app world has on paid apps. If you're in the US it's like a 300% markup on the same exact app. Worse if you're in the UK, since they have yet to provide the promised exhange rate change from 1USD=1GBP (they promised the change on 8th Dec last year), nothing yet.

Just in form of an example, the newly released cut the rope.

0.99 USD on android market in the US

0.62 GBP on android market in the UK

2.99 USD appworld US (if you do the math that's a 302% markup for US customers)

3.0 GBP appworld UK (and a 484% markup for UK customers)

So I would rather repackage an apk file I can get from the android market myself and sideload, it's a matter of principle I don't like getting fleeced no matter how small the amount.

Sources:
    Report: BlackBerry’s App World is the most expensive app store|Edible Apple

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...prices-682560/

App World Changing Prices To Reflect Exchange Rates - Conversion Chart - BerryReview

Let me say at the end, I love my playbook, smoothest tablet on the market despite the poor reviews. Appworld not a fan.
    Last edited by peniole; 01-13-12 at 02:35 AM.
    daveparki likes this.
    01-13-12 02:09 AM
    That will create a LOT of negative comments and press if it is still that way in the official OS2.0 release ! Lets hope RIM finds a way around this ... and fast !
    Not necessarily required: if you have never installed the Android Player or OS2 you probably won't be 'required' to do a security wipe. The security wipe (if one is necesary - which is more than likely) will be for those who have installed the android playerin some form.
    01-13-12 04:41 AM
    Just in form of an example, the newly released cut the rope.

0.99 USD on android market in the US

0.62 GBP on android market in the UK

2.99 USD appworld US (if you do the math that's a 302% markup for US customers)

3.0 GBP appworld UK (and a 484% markup for UK customers)

So I would rather repackage an apk file I can get from the android market myself and sideload, it's a matter of principle I don't like getting fleeced no matter how small the amount.
    Hardly a fair comparison. The Android version is basic Cut the Rope, not Cut the Rope HD. The iPad has Cut the Rope HD at $1.99, a dollar less but it's also been available for a year. Cut the Rope for Android is also different than Cut the Rope for BlackBerry. I'm pretty sure Cut the Rope won't work in the Android player, and if it does won't be as smooth as the native PlayBook version.
    01-13-12 03:39 PM
    Umm.. Developers expect this sort of thing... happens all the time. The version of OS2 that everyone has before release is a DEVELOPERS beta version.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-13-12 03:44 PM
    Umm.. Developers expect this sort of thing... happens all the time. The version of OS2 that everyone has before release is a DEVELOPERS beta version.
    Exactly, and so should anyone else who installed the beta to play with... had lots of disclaimers before download.
    I'll be doing s wipe before installing official 2 regarless.
    bbfan1040 and BuzzStarField like this.
    01-13-12 04:06 PM
    I missed that it was only the Beta that would require a wipe. I thought it meant ALL Playbooks. Guess I mis-read that . Thanks for clarifying.
    01-14-12 11:51 PM
    The real World:

Does Apple ipad run others apps? NO
    Fire is being sold below cost to get app income.
    So, why would Blackberry let us load Android apps without paying anything to them?
    01-15-12 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD