I use the playbook as my primary electronic device at the moment but after the os2 update I can't even trust that the Apps I have open will remain open when I navigate away from them! The browser constantly crashes, the messages app crashes, the adobe reader app crashes - the playbook was way more stable in the 1.0.8 release. I hope they do something about this soon because even though I love having email on the playbook I would much rather that I have an operating system I can count on to be stable. Cmon rim!
    02-26-12 05:35 PM
    I -- and everyone else -- had this problem on the beta of OS 2.0, but I haven't seen any of it in the Gold release. I'm damn happy about that, too.
    02-26-12 05:36 PM
    back up your data and do a security wipe. I had to do one after that my PB
    was stable and back to normal.
    kbz1960 and menaknow like this.
    02-26-12 05:36 PM
    Well I can't really do that... My windows computer is dead (like dead dead) and my Mac is running tiger (incompatible with bb desktop software). And I also have like 20 gigs of pictures, movies and videos on this thing. Is that really the only solution?
    02-26-12 05:46 PM
    i had a similar issue. Check how much RAM you have remaining, it seems to me that running apps with the android player takes up ram and when you close the apps it doesnt clear the ram so you run out pretty quick. after running a couple of android apps i couldnt do much without stuff closing so i closed everything, checked the ram and i had just over 850mb of ram in use. after a restart i was running at normal.

I have since removed all android apps since there wasnt anything i really needed, or used other than for killing time, and i havent had this issue at all.
    02-26-12 05:51 PM
    Use the free box cloud storage app...Put all your files in the cloud and do the security wipe..you don't need a PC to perform the security wipe::
    02-26-12 05:55 PM
    Yeah I have no need for android apps. Honestly I was happier before this whole update crap, but I do like being able to send emails without bridge and I love the improved browser. Its funny how these improvements have just made more glaring holes that weren't even there before. Like the inability to sync contacts from a bb to the pb. I really wish I could do that. (I'm not touching google sync, I work too hard to keep my contacst clean to have that crap program duplicate all of them again). Oh well. Here's hoping for some more improvements soon!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-26-12 05:58 PM
    On beta my browser used to crash a lot - especially when watching youtube or going to graphic-intensive sites. These days with the official release I've only had it crash two or three times. It's still two or three times more often than I expect it to but welcome to technology, I guess. I'd like to know what makes it go though as I personally hate tabs in the browser and use multitasking just for little things like file explorer and the odd picture here and there.
    02-26-12 06:07 PM
    No crashes. Yay me.
    02-26-12 06:08 PM
    i had a similar issue. Check how much RAM you have remaining, it seems to me that running apps with the android player takes up ram and when you close the apps it doesnt clear the ram so you run out pretty quick. after running a couple of android apps i couldnt do much without stuff closing so i closed everything, checked the ram and i had just over 850mb of ram in use. after a restart i was running at normal.

I have since removed all android apps since there wasnt anything i really needed, or used other than for killing time, and i havent had this issue at all.
    So how do you check your ram?
    02-26-12 06:11 PM
    Main settings>about>hardware> free memory
    02-26-12 06:15 PM
    I have the same problem.

Don't worry the ignoramuses will come tell you that apps crashing is your fault and to stop trolling.
    mud314 and mandony like this.
    02-26-12 06:16 PM
    Haha yeah I had to go find my flame suit before posting this. Not trying to troll I swear - I just want to be able to rely on my pb as much as I have been for the past 9 or so months.
    MTL, modxanimal and mandony like this.
    02-26-12 06:21 PM
    Also, what is "normal" ram usage?
    02-26-12 06:23 PM
    I have the same problem.

Don't worry the ignoramuses will come tell you that apps crashing is your fault and to stop trolling.
    Well who's fault is it?
    illlya likes this.
    02-26-12 06:24 PM
    I have 380 left. I haven't restarted in a few days and I'm just using the browser.
    Did you update right from the beta or were you on OS1 when you did the upgrade.
    02-26-12 06:31 PM
    I agree with the security wipe. It seems that some peoples PBs have been glitchy or something after updating to OS2. Doing a wipe and reinstalling should fix this.

I havent done a wipe and am having no problems. Also, something you may want to look into is getting the Android Task Killer app. If you think that some of the apps arent closing then this app will make sure they are closed and will stop any battery drain that happens because of that. And just to be clear, this is an ANDROID problem and NOT a problem with QNX or OS2, android apps are known to have these problems and that is why the Android Task Killer app even exists.
    02-26-12 06:32 PM
    normal ram whilst idle should be between 450 and 550mb used if i recall correctly.
    02-26-12 06:33 PM
    I'm having the exact same issues and I haven't installed any android apps nor have used the beta OS.
    Are we going to need a security wipe every time we perform an upgrade?
    Don't take me wrong, I do love my PlayBook but I hate this happening all the time.
    02-26-12 06:35 PM
    I have 380 left. I haven't restarted in a few days and I'm just using the browser.
    Did you update right from the beta or were you on OS1 when you did the upgrade.
    I never went the beta route and never rooted. I updated from the latest 1.0 release and did so about 6 or 7 whole minutes after the update dropped haha. After a restart right now I have 298 free and have only messages and the browser opened. I no longer have any android apps on my device (deleted before restarting). I may do a security wipe but I'm just trying to be lazy and fix it without going that route. Also id like to believe that rim will be successful in this whole "update in the background" thing so I'd like it to be stable without wiping.
    02-26-12 06:36 PM
    I'm having the exact same issues and I haven't installed any android apps nor have used the beta OS.
    Don't take me wrong, I do love my PlayBook but I hate this happening all the time.
    A security wipe is the next best thing to a complete wipe and restore. If you have access to a PC its worth a try. I had some issue after upgrading. After a restore all is well.
    There are too many variables to say what's going on with anyone's particular PB.
    02-26-12 06:39 PM
    I did upgrade one of my PBs to the developer beta build. About a week before 2.0 dropped, I wiped and downgraded. When it came time to update both tablets, they both went off without a hitch. (Knocks on wood) Haven't had any issues at all. I think it is safe to say that upgrading from 1.x.x.xxxx to 2.0 was a major software change, and sometimes OTA installs/upgrades do bork out.

If I had any issue at all, I would wipe and reinstall the OS before even posting of a problem. It can be difficult to diagnose what is wrong if you haven't gotten back to basics.
    02-26-12 06:44 PM
    I don't think we'll have to each time. From what I understand they kind of rewrote a lot of things in the guts and not just added the apps etc.
    02-26-12 06:45 PM
    sometimes OTA installs/upgrades do bork out.
    That would be my guess.
    02-26-12 06:47 PM
    I did upgrade one of my PBs to the developer beta build. About a week before 2.0 dropped, I wiped and downgraded. When it came time to update both tablets, they both went off without a hitch. (Knocks on wood) Haven't had any issues at all. I think it is safe to say that upgrading from 1.x.x.xxxx to 2.0 was a major software change, and sometimes OTA installs/upgrades do bork out.

If I had any issue at all, I would wipe and reinstall the OS before even posting of a problem. It can be difficult to diagnose what is wrong if you haven't gotten back to basics.
    OK ill post back after doing a wipe but I don't really feel like doing it right now so it may be a few days. Thanks for your help as always guys!
    02-26-12 06:47 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD