Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Shortcut app like actions for ipad

There is an app on the ipad called Actions. Actions - Shortcuts made beautiful

It basically allows you to create shortcuts to control your PC or Mac and programs within it.

Does anyone know of any app that has similar functionality on the playbook?
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

If you are sitting at a PC/Mac why would you use an iPad to control it? From what I can tell in the "tour" video, you arent typing in this application to type on the PC, you arent using it as a mouse, you are simply using shortcuts (many of which are handled by keyboard shortcuts already). It just puts a pretty UI over it and adds another device into the mix? As for this on the PB you may want to see if the app maker has heard of how easy it is to port to BB10/PBOS. You can send them the link to the PopCorny blog.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I work with lots of presentations on events. Basically I could use it to control some bespoke programs on my computer with the touch of the button, which would be useful for me when talking to clients. Played around with the app on Ipad today and it works really well. Just wondered if there was anything currently out there on the playbook market which did something similar.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Found something on the android market called 'piHotKeys'

Seems to have similar functionality, might try and see if I can sideload that
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

You could also use splashtop remote desktop, or all in one remote from app world.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

I would suggest trying a remote desktop app or try the Luko Remote app.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybles View Post
    I work with lots of presentations on events. Basically I could use it to control some bespoke programs on my computer with the touch of the button, which would be useful for me when talking to clients. Played around with the app on Ipad today and it works really well. Just wondered if there was anything currently out there on the playbook market which did something similar.
    I didnt look at the connection method, was it BT or WiFI? It likely requires an app running on the PC itself to interpret the instructions. Have you looked at using a BlackBerry as a remote for your PC? This may help in the interim. As was said earlier, you can try to sideload the android app (or have the company try and port it), and/or have the iOS company port theirs as well. Other than a remote desktop app (which misses some of the functionality) I dont know of anything on the BB side.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

All in one remote or splashtop both need a server app running on PC, the help for All In One remote says it has beta bluetooth support.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

The ipad app runs over wifi. Which is fine as I set up my own private network on events.
    I have played around with a couple of remote apps for BB over BT. They do work but not as nicely as actions for ipad. I was drawn to it because I have a lot of hotkeys which trigger program functions embedded in to powerpoint. It would be nice to have my playbook in front of me with a layout of buttons on the screen which do everything I want.
    Splashtop would work but I am not bothered about visually seeing my desktop, just triggering these hotkeys for demonstration purposes.

Its just me playing around really, I have survived long enough without any of this functionality but having played with the ipad app it just excited the inner geek in me.
    Anyone know how I go about getting hold of the .apk for 'piHotKeys' on the android market?

I will get in touch with actions for ipad developer and see if they have any plans for playbook.

P.S. Hello crackberry forum
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,678 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of phones: BB!

Yes - welcome Jaybles! I like how you didn't tip toe into our little corner, "Hey, I'm here and I need some scoop on making my PlayBook a workhorse, not just an email reader."

So you've been lurking for a while, I see?

Again, welcome and we are happy to have you.

P.S. I'm interested in this somewhat, too. DO several trade shows and usually set up my PB connected to a TV for video loops. Could expand its usability and effectiveness I'm thinking.
    It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Haha yea, straight to the point.
    I have been lurking quite a while, ever since my first bb9700 a couple of years ago.

I'm thinking if I can get an app with bespoke hotkeys, I could really run a slick operation when talking to clients. I work with interactive content at conferences and events. Being able to control all my software applications with the touch of a button instead of being tethered to my pc backstage really appeals to me.