I'm looking for a video screen-capture app for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Anyone here knows of such an app? Another option I was thinking about is connecting the tablet to my PC via the HDMI cable and then using Camtasia to record the stream. But I don't have an HDMI cable for the PlayBook. Has anyone attempted recording the PlayBook screen via the HDMI cable? Any examples you can share?

Thanks
    Last edited by P.B.B; 09-21-11 at 01:32 PM.
    09-21-11 01:00 PM
    Capturing the screen is not possible with third-party apps. It will take RIM to do it, or something blessed by RIM (perhaps developed by a close partner).

Also, generally speaking HDMI ports are "output" or "input" only, and not reversible, so unless you've got some fancy unusual hardware in your PC, you likely can't "capture" a data stream fed to it from another device such as your PlayBook.

Unfortunately, unless you buy some special hardware, or RIM decides to add a screen recorder, your best bet is to use some other video camera to record the screen or, possibly, use a mirror... (and, yes, your fingers will get in the way of the video...)
    scunliffe likes this.
    09-21-11 01:19 PM
    dude, do you know what happens when you plug two computers together with the HDMI cable?
    09-21-11 01:24 PM
    Capturing the screen is not possible with third-party apps. It will take RIM to do it, or something blessed by RIM (perhaps developed by a close partner).
    I was afraid about that

dude, do you know what happens when you plug two computers together with the HDMI cable?
    I have never tried but did come across a device that supposedly allows HDMI input to a computer from another source.
    09-21-11 01:34 PM
    while not bridged you can take a screen capture by pressing both the track back and track forward buttons at the top of your PB.
    jermaine1082 likes this.
    09-21-11 03:47 PM
    Maybe try recording a video using the front-facing camera in front of a mirror(things will be backwards though). If you set it up with a secure stand, and position it well for finger access, it could work. It won't be pro, but it can do the job.

Or connect the hdmi out to tv and record the image on the tv with the PB if you can secure the PB. Good luck!
    09-21-11 04:17 PM
    just press both volume up and volume down buttons at the same time and you will take an screenshot, no need of an app for that.
    jermaine1082 likes this.
    09-21-11 05:13 PM
    Attach the PB to your tv, then record that output on a dvd-recorder.
    09-21-11 05:17 PM
    Nothing, tried it all ready
    09-21-11 05:28 PM
    while not bridged you can take a screen capture by pressing both the track back and track forward buttons at the top of your PB.
    I know about this one, what I'm trying to do is record a video of me using an app or interacting with the tablets UI. It would be a big plus if RIM could get this feature added.

Maybe try recording a video using the front-facing camera in front of a mirror(things will be backwards though). If you set it up with a secure stand, and position it well for finger access, it could work. It won't be pro, but it can do the job.

Or connect the hdmi out to tv and record the image on the tv with the PB if you can secure the PB. Good luck!
    I don't know about placing the device infront of a mirror and using the front facing camera to record. It might be tricky without me getting in the way - Right now, connecting the PB to a TV and then recording the TV with a camera is probably the easiest option.
    09-21-11 09:13 PM
    09-21-11 09:17 PM
    he's looking for video not photos
    09-21-11 09:24 PM
    When I shot my video for the Android Marketplace install I just put the PB on a table in a dimly lit room, and shot the video with a Canon elph 100HS on a tripod. Worked great for what I needed and the text was readable in the video, so I was happy.
    RexBB likes this.
    09-21-11 10:23 PM
    I know about this one, what I'm trying to do is record a video of me using an app or interacting with the tablets UI. It would be a big plus if RIM could get this feature added.

I don't know about placing the device infront of a mirror and using the front facing camera to record. It might be tricky without me getting in the way - Right now, connecting the PB to a TV and then recording the TV with a camera is probably the easiest option.
    If the purpose of the video is to show off your app/tablet interactions, you might want to either
    - just do it on the computer using the vmware image (playbook simulator), provided by RIM. You can run screen recorder app and use mouse to show the interaction/ui.
    - if you want to show it on the actual device, using bluetooth keyboard/mouse might be a good option if you don't want to hinder the view with your fingers/hands.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    P.B.B likes this.
    09-22-11 03:43 AM
    No, I don't. You seem to, so why don't you share?

I can only assume, since you're posting here, that it solves the OP's problem. Go ahead, tell us how that works for you.
    tral1z likes this.
    09-22-11 08:45 AM
    download pb emulator for windows, install your app, then record using a windows app.
    09-22-11 10:49 AM
    Wouldn't that only be a picture though?
    04-19-13 04:36 AM
    Thats only pictures though.
    04-19-13 04:38 AM
    Just some guessing but wondering if there is a presentation app- similar to PowerPoint or the full PowerPoint program itself which is made by Microsoft that would allow you to do this. Embedded video is becoming very common.
    04-19-13 09:34 AM
    _______

Now here's an idea that I would like to achieve: I would like to record soccer matches on TV to my PB using a HDMI cable and then output to a DVD. Can you show me the step-by-step procedure on how to do this? Do I use Screen Capture? Where do I save it to inside PB? What kind of format is saved? Thanks in advance.
    05-05-13 07:18 PM
    _______

Now here's an idea that I would like to achieve: I would like to record soccer matches on TV to my PB using a HDMI cable and then output to a DVD. Can you show me the step-by-step procedure on how to do this? Do I use Screen Capture? Where do I save it to inside PB? What kind of format is saved? Thanks in advance.
    I'm not really sure exactly what you want to do, but it's easy to do on a PC. You do need a PC TV tuner card, many of which are available as either USB or PCI/PCIe cards. Generally, these cards come bundled with DVR software that can record the incoming TV signal. Then, it's just a matter of creating a DVD with any software capable of doing so and which you probably already have on your PC. This process doesn't involve the PB at all other than that you can transfer the recorded video files to it for viewing.
    05-05-13 07:41 PM
    I guess the simplest thing is to buy an inexpensive DVD recorder (I have a DVD player, not recorder) and just record the thing on DVD. Thanks pacoman03.
    05-05-13 11:29 PM
    I'm looking for a video screen-capture app for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Anyone here knows of such an app? Another option I was thinking about is connecting the tablet to my PC via the HDMI cable and then using Camtasia to record the stream. But I don't have an HDMI cable for the PlayBook. Has anyone attempted recording the PlayBook screen via the HDMI cable? Any examples you can share?

Thanks
    Now there is such application: ScreenRecorder: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/39679887
    10-31-13 09:39 PM
    Now there is such application: ScreenRecorder: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/39679887
    BB10 only, you got me excited........
    10-31-13 11:06 PM
    You'll need a HDMI capture utility to get the screen as-is.
    You can find them online. The Playbook mirrors its contents via HDMI and the hardware records this to a video.
    10-31-13 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD