I am lead to believe that none of the "premium apps" that are being given away are for the Blackberry Playbook!

Now I love my Blackberry but I do truly only use it for making calls, emails, web browsing, and BBM. I do not use apps frequently the only one I use on a daily basis is BerryBuzz (yeah I know its BeBuzz now but I liked the old name).

So here's my proposal;

I would love to have $100 in free apps for my phone but I see no point in downloading them if I have no use for them. Now since the outage did effect me I'm not asking for $100 but why not give us Playbook users an option to get at least $50 in free apps for our tablets.

Now your saving money RIM, I'm positive that there would be a demand for an option like this!

Let me know what you guys think!?!
    Last edited by CB.Mike-D; 10-17-11 at 07:08 AM.
    10-17-11 07:06 AM
    Well put! I agree 100%
    10-17-11 08:01 AM
    I'd love that option.
    In fact, if I was given the option of even just $20 worth of credits in AppWorld that I could do whatever I want with, I would take it.
    10-17-11 08:09 AM
    Is shazam available in app world?
    10-17-11 08:10 AM
    Yeah its not like I'm sitting here complaining like some people's comments on the front page post lol, personally I didn't expect RIM to do anything I thought Mike doing the public apology was good enough, that alone showed that they acknowledged the problem and showed sympathy to it's valued customers.

Thats all I needed to see, these free apps are just an added bonus!
    But it would be nice and a good way to get the Playbook noticed to have an option for Playbook apps!
    10-17-11 08:11 AM
    I'd love that option.
    In fact, if I was given the option of even just $20 worth of credits in AppWorld that I could do whatever I want with, I would take it.
    Even $20 would be good, it wouldn't matter the amount a free app is a free app!
    10-17-11 08:13 AM
    Sorry too say, I don't think Playbook App World will have any free apps because of the outage. I may be wrong though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 08:26 AM
    Skype would be nice! Settle for OS 2.0! :-)

bbfan1040 likes this.
    10-17-11 08:30 AM
    Sorry too say, I don't think Playbook App World will have any free apps because of the outage. I may be wrong though.

Yeah but when you think of it,
    It would be a really smart move that would save a lot of money at the same time making people happy!

Think about it lets say they make options,

Option 1: $100 in free apps for your Blackberry Smartphone.

Option 2: $50 in free apps for your Blackberry Playbook.

If 100,000 people take option 2 thats $5 Million RIM saves, if 200,000 people take option 2 thats $10 Million RIM saves, and so on...

And on top of that if I did not own a Playbook already, and I found out I could get X amount of dollars in free apps I would go out and buy one, same goes for the X amount of dollars in free apps for my Blackberry smartphone.

Its just one of those things that they should have considered! But like RGAIN says ill be happy with 2.0
    10-17-11 08:50 AM
    CB.Mike-D. That seems like a good idea too me. Would be a good promotion.

But like everyone says, and I agree, Ill be happy with 2.0. I sure hope it is not half-baked.

bbfan1040 likes this.
    10-17-11 08:54 AM
    how about option 1 take it or leave it ???
    did you suffer for three whole days due to outage ?

the facts are they don,t have to do anything but they are !!
    10-17-11 08:59 AM
    I'm surprised they offered anything as they really didn't have to. I see it as a nice bonuse.
    Plus, the outage only affected BlackBerries and the playbook by extension via Bridge.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-17-11 09:41 AM
    did the outage affect your PB? no, your PB doesnt have a BIS or BES connection.

this is why its for phones. also id imagine that these apps will go down to free, rather than you having say a credit in your account, so switching for PB apps wouldnt work.
    10-17-11 09:53 AM
    The free apps also include a couple of Playbook titles.
    Considering that most playbook owners are blackberry users it's a good way to give them more choice.

Sure it isn't absolute freedom, but beggars cannot be choosers.
    Don't even start with the self-entitlement baloney either.

Good PR move RIM.
    10-17-11 11:41 AM
    I think the important thing to remember is that it's $100 worth of apps. RIM prob didn't pay even close to full selling price. More likely they gave each developer a one-time fee. $x in credits would cost RIM a lot more than this.
    crack_fiend likes this.
    10-17-11 01:03 PM
    They won't give anything to PlayBook as it was not affected by the outage and regarding the Credit, do you really think RIM will pay full price to the developers of the apps they listed, of course not, they made a special contract with high discounts.

so that means RIM can't give you 20$ credit so you can use them on apps that their developers didn't agree to help RIM in apologizing.
    10-17-11 01:06 PM
    Yeah its not like I'm sitting here complaining like some people's comments on the front page post lol, personally I didn't expect RIM to do anything I thought Mike doing the public apology was good enough, that alone showed that they acknowledged the problem and showed sympathy to it's valued customers.

Thats all I needed to see, these free apps are just an added bonus!
    But it would be nice and a good way to get the Playbook noticed to have an option for Playbook apps!
    There are PlayBook apps on that list. N.O.V.A. 2 is a playbook app. pretty sweet game to.
    10-17-11 02:10 PM
    I believe it's referring to NOVA 1, which is a BB phone game.
    10-17-11 02:20 PM
    Since Playbooks weren't affected by the outage, it makes sense that the apps they will be offering would be for phones. And judging by the language of the release, and the logisitics involved, I would think that it won't be given as a credit, but rather those titles would be put on sale on Appworld for $0 until December 31, and the $100+ they refer to is the combined retail value of all of the apps if you were to purchase them all. I'm not sure where people get this idea of credit towards apps, maybe they need to read things more than two sentences in.

At any rate, we should be grateful. Good on RIM for doing something positive for their PR. In all honesty, despite the sense of entitlement people seem to have, they don't owe us anything. I'm sure the TOS never guarantee 100% up-time, nothing ever does. If your power goes out, the power company generally doesn't start offering bill credits to their customers, because they will tell you that their own TOS indemnify themselves from outages and even from losses and damages resulting from outages. This is a gesture of good will, an apology. They are offering a mix of normally $3-4 apps for everyone to pick and choose from. Even if you don't like the offering, at least be grateful they aren't washing their hands of it. It's kind of one of those "it's the thought that counts" things.
    10-17-11 03:02 PM
    I'd settle for 1/30th credit against my data plan for the month.
    10-17-11 03:33 PM
    I thought NOVA was a playbook game? Guess not.
    10-17-11 03:47 PM
    I would think that it won't be given as a credit, but rather those titles would be put on sale on Appworld for $0 until December 31, and the $100+ they refer to is the combined retail value of all of the apps if you were to purchase them all.
    yup thats exactly how i read it also. which of course has been backed up by there being a new category placed into appworld 3.0 ready for this, its the first `featured app` spot on devices that`ll be a subcategory to these apps.
    10-17-11 05:59 PM
    I don't think I ever used the word "credit", but if thats the way you guys took it theres nothing I can do about that.

I understood the fact that they would not be giving a $100 "credit" on my account and that they would make the price of the apps $0.00, I know how to read I'm not that dumb. I just simply made a suggestion.

And to those who think that Playbook apps are already on that list, I think you should read that list again!
    Last edited by CB.Mike-D; 10-17-11 at 06:42 PM.
    10-17-11 06:39 PM
    well the PlayBooks were affected, especially if you bridge like i do.
    10-18-11 09:33 AM
    well the PlayBooks were affected, especially if you bridge like i do.
    Yes, they were very much affected. Whats wrong in making a few apps from EA free for the playbook as well which will bring a lot more publicity than if the money is not well spent on marketing which sometimes RIM does.
    10-18-11 09:39 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD