It's amazing how many RIM apps are missing from the PlayBook.

Wallet
    Travel
    Traffic

How about setting an example and porting all of your apps?
    reschp, sagec and gravymonster like this.
    03-17-12 08:22 PM

Wallet
    Travel
    Traffic

I will assume you are talking to RIM so I'll pass your message on to my close contacts in Waterloo. My aunt lives there. Kidding aside, I'm willing to bet (but not much) that RIM will have some of these apps ready for BB10 phones. They will no doubt run on PlayBook too. You heard it from me first.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-17-12 08:36 PM

Wallet
    Travel
    Traffic

I totally agree. It is ludicrous that RIM can't even manage to sort out versions of their own software ONE YEAR after the Playbook was released.

How long did it take for Apple to have iTunes on the iPhone or for them to have Pages and Keynote on the iPad? Not a year for sure.

Come on RIM. What are you waiting for?

RIM need to make having a Playbook a compelling proposition, but if they can't be bothered to do versions of their own apps then they are sending out totally the wrong signal.
    03-18-12 02:39 PM
    I totally agree. It is ludicrous that RIM can't even manage to sort out versions of their own software ONE YEAR after the Playbook was released.

How long did it take for Apple to have iTunes on the iPhone or for them to have Pages and Keynote on the iPad? Not a year for sure.

Come on RIM. What are you waiting for?

RIM need to make having a Playbook a compelling proposition, but if they can't be bothered to do versions of their own apps then they are sending out totally the wrong signal.
    .....and I thought that Angry Birds would be enough to save the PlayBook from oblivion. Boy was i wrong!

It would be nice if RIM could emulate Apple and make every app available on every device. But Apple starts with a single unified OS. In contrast, RIM has a fragmented mish-mash of odd-ball devices with a confusing arrary of capabilities and performance issues. The version of Java for mobile devices is a very limited platform for developers. We hate having to re-write our apps every time RIM comes out with a new device. It's not a good way to do business.

OS10 is going to be leaps-and-bounds better that the old Java environment but it is not yet ready for prime-time. When the NDK is fully implemented and Cascades is finally available, I have no doubt that RIM will begin porting more native apps to QNX devices. These new apps will run on PlayBook and all future QNX phones.

Be patient! Better things are coming but it will take a few more months...
    03-18-12 03:43 PM
    .....and I thought that Angry Birds would be enough to save the PlayBook from oblivion. Boy was i wrong!

It would be nice if RIM could emulate Apple and make every app available on every device. But Apple starts with a single unified OS. In contrast, RIM has a fragmented mish-mash of odd-ball devices with a confusing arrary of capabilities and performance issues. The version of Java for mobile devices is a very limited platform for developers. We hate having to re-write our apps every time RIM comes out with a new device. It's not a good way to do business.

OS10 is going to be leaps-and-bounds better that the old Java environment but it is not yet ready for prime-time. When the NDK is fully implemented and Cascades is finally available, I have no doubt that RIM will begin porting more native apps to QNX devices. These new apps will run on PlayBook and all future QNX phones.

Be patient! Better things are coming but it will take a few more months...
    I would like RIM to make repackaging tools for BB Java OS applications.(They did it with Android) I'm almost 100% sure most of those 65,000 applications that are on our current BB phones would be repackaged. My reasoning is because most of those dev's know the BlackBerry platform is worth developing for...
    03-18-12 04:13 PM
    but most of those apps would just feel dated on the PB since its capable of so much more than the phones. They will have new versions of those apps for when bb10 arrives and they will come to the playbook.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    03-18-12 04:14 PM
    I'm looking forward to BlackBerry Traffic on the PlayBook or a BB10 phone.
    03-18-12 04:22 PM
    I told them the very sme thing on the last three surveys from Beta Zone...

Not sure I want Wallet on a tablet though...
    03-18-12 05:51 PM
    I would like RIM to make repackaging tools for BB Java OS applications.(They did it with Android) I'm almost 100% sure most of those 65,000 applications that are on our current BB phones would be repackaged. My reasoning is because most of those dev's know the BlackBerry platform is worth developing for...
    There are two problems with this idea. First the apps made for the small screen will not scale at all well to laqrger, higher resolution screens. They would be terrible to look at and most are not designed for touch screens. Many people do not like the Android player because of its limitations. J2ME apps would be worse when running in the Java sandbox.

The second problem is licensing the Java Virtual Machine. The Android player is based on open source code so it's cheap. Java is now owned by Oracle and although I don't know for sure, I suspect that RIM dropped the idea of a Java player because of problems negotiating licensing terms. Given the points that I made in the first paragraph, I suspect that RIM did not see any point in paying a lot of maoney for such slim benefits.
    03-18-12 06:11 PM
    Makes sense, BSF . But I do wonder why they haven't already remade some native apps for the PlayBook. I was surprised when I saw BB Maps, Traffic and Travel weren't in app world for PB.

Hopefully they'll get around to it!
    03-18-12 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD