This is interesting, thanks! Are you referring to waking up from a stand-by or hibernation mode - or from a complete shutdown?
    You can wake your computer from a complete shutdown, standby or hibernation. Your NIC is kept active to listen for the magic packet. Once it receives the packet, the NIC will either turn on the PC or wake it up from standby or hibernation. It takes some work to get it configured (I'm still working through some issues). For example, you need a router that supports WOL so that it can forward the packet even though the PC is not active on the network, you have to forward the ports and you have to give your pc a static IP address. That's why most people just leave the PC on, it's easier. I just wanted to correct the impression that you HAVE to leave your computer on all the time.
    02-10-12 02:18 PM
    Yup - I think I can do all that thanks! A nice little project!
    02-10-12 02:40 PM
    Actually this is NOT true. Your PC does not need to be running all the time. Your PC or laptop does need to support Wake-on-LAN (WoL) and be enabled in the BIOS. I shut down my computer all the time when I'm done using it and whenever I need to connect to it, I use this cool PB app called WoL Lite (Free WoL Lite - Download WoL Lite - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World) to boot it up and then I use Splashtop to login. I didn't think Splashtop would work without logging in first, but it does! When I'm done. I use WoL Lite to shutdown my PC. One issue you may have with this is if you use wireless with your PC or Laptop. A lot of wireless cards don't support WoL.

The only reason I don't use Remote Desktop is because my router does not support NAT Loopback, so I can't connect even though I have the port correctly forwarded. I did not know this when I purchased this router on sale, but I will make sure my future router has this feature.
    well there you have it. whenever there is talk about remote access people talk like their pc is running the whole time. so i just wanted to make sure that was the only way to access it since i'm not that computer savvy. but you just provided an option to that, which i never would have known as i don't keep up with the latest tech upgrades ( i still run a pentium 3)... seems like your solution requires some extensive configuration which i'll pass on since i'm not really that desperate, but it's good to know that there is a way.
    02-10-12 04:38 PM
    I use splashtop, it works great!! Also, I am on telus network (H+) and use my 9900 hotspot to login all the time - also works great!
    02-10-12 11:12 PM
    Soooooo... just an update. My wife bbm'd me while at work, needed the card info. I bbm'd her back, but it seemed her phone died as it didn't go through. Crap I think cause she needs it for flowers for her uncles funeral. Then it dawns on me. I log in with splashtop, open word, type out all the information, and then start a movie (Real Steel) to get her attention to the laptop. Resutl: She got the card information, and I scared the living heck out of her.
    collapsed, 00stryder and bungaboy like this.
    02-11-12 06:31 AM
    I have tried both, a word of caution, your computer must have Remote Desktop installed in order for it to work on your Playbook to work, only certain versions of Windows have this, mine (Windows 7 Home) doesn't. I could have used a work around to install it, but was not eager to go messing around in my registry so I wasted my money. Conversely Splashtop works perfectly. It pays to do some research before purchasing apps.
    02-11-12 08:10 AM
    Edited for privacy reason
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 02-11-12 at 05:50 PM.
    stesyl likes this.
    02-11-12 02:28 PM
    Does anyone know how to use drag and drop?
    03-18-12 02:23 PM
    so you used the remote splashtop, to do this to the computer at home for your wife, did you do this via an app on your blackberry phone?????or did you do this through your own computer or other tablet? REason of asking is that i am looking where to download an app for splashtop for my 9790 bold mobile phone.... new to splashtop, and being it says it has apps for mobile devices, i didnt find one for splashtop through the apps blackberry apps world....can you assist by clarifying?! thanks in advance
    12-28-12 11:39 PM
    so you used the remote splashtop, to do this to the computer at home for your wife, did you do this via an app on your blackberry phone?????or did you do this through your own computer or other tablet? REason of asking is that i am looking where to download an app for splashtop for my 9790 bold mobile phone.... new to splashtop, and being it says it has apps for mobile devices, i didnt find one for splashtop through the apps blackberry apps world....can you assist by clarifying?! thanks in advance
    12-28-12 11:40 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD