Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jcbrunson
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Remote Desktop for Playbook: Todd Grayson or SolverLabs?

I need to decide which remote desktop app to purchase for the PB32, and I am having a tough time with it. Todd Grayson's app has been out there a while, and he has done a great job responding/updating to the user concerns and complaints. Then the SolverLabs app showed up in Appworld for $3. The reviews of the SolverLabs app are pretty sparse, and I haven't seen a thread here praising it or pooping on it. At the moment, the robust and reputable app seems to be worth the extra $2 - I just don't want to rule out the SolverLabs app due to lack of reviews. Let the discussion begin. I am connecting to a Windows Vista Business PC using dynamic DNS.

Both should offer a trial version so we can test drive the features.

For the record, I have used Splashtop HD since it's release at the sale price. I just don't like its security, nor do I like running the client+Google acct in the background. It also doesn't seem to support file transfers, but I will admit I have never tried.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Apps like this should absolutely offer a trial version. I know its gonna be "the cost of a cup of coffee" but if i pay for coffee it better taste darn good especially when it cost me 5 bucks!!
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by BB-Bmore View Post
    Apps like this should absolutely offer a trial version. I know its gonna be "the cost of a cup of coffee" but if i pay for coffee it better taste darn good especially when it cost me 5 bucks!!
    Yes, and the Splashtop HD cup of coffee tastes OK right now. But it doesn't lock out the remote computer during usage. If my PB32 gets lifted, then the thief can also access my PC without a login or password. I just think it needs more layers of security.

The built-in features of Windows RDP gives me a better feeling of security. As far as the cost goes, it's silly to debate a difference of $2 between the apps. I just want the best app.

And yes, please give us a "Files and Folders" type trial option for a couple of days.
    Innovatology likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Of course you could give back to the community by spending a couple of bucks getting both of them and doing a write-up about your findings!

I've used Todd's app, and it works well. He's also happy to respond to e-mails. But of course it depends on what you're trying to do. You can't really expect an RDP client on a touch device to work like a desktop one.
    ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Hi, I have used Todd's RDP since the launch and it works well. I have one big concern that I have made Todd aware but has still not been resolved - When using the RDP app with the BlackBerry bluetooth keyboard it will consistently lock up - you then either have to come out of the app and restart or go into the bluetooth setting on the playbook and disconnect and reconnect the keyboard.

I am not sure what is at fault either the keyboard or the app.....either way it is a big disappointment.

If this could be resolved then I would be very very happy.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by jcbrunson View Post
    If my PB32 gets lifted, then the thief can also access my PC without a login or password. I just think it needs more layers of security.
    How does the thief do this? The Splashtop server needs to be running on your computer for Splashtop to access it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by pacoman03 View Post
    How does the thief do this? The Splashtop server needs to be running on your computer for Splashtop to access it.
    Yes, and the Splashtop Streamer is always running on the remote PC in order for you to have access. And once you have set up a computer with the streamer and entered the security code in both places, there is no stopping a stolen PB from accessing your PC. It's all wide open after that. It's a very alarming setup. And as I said earlier, not locking out the remote PC during access is downright weird.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Innovatology View Post
    Of course you could give back to the community by spending a couple of bucks getting both of them and doing a write-up about your findings!
    Very true, except that I will wind up buying one of the apps twice - one for me and one for the wifey. I did think about purchasing one app per PB to give it a test drive... Thanks for the suggestion, though!
    CrackBerry Genius

Yes, and the Splashtop Streamer is always running on the remote PC in order for you to have access.
    This is only true if you set it up this way. In settings, you can turn this feature off, so it only runs when you want it to.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Innovatology View Post

I've used Todd's app, and it works well. He's also happy to respond to e-mails. But of course it depends on what you're trying to do. You can't really expect an RDP client on a touch device to work like a desktop one.
    Well, patience pays off. Both RDP apps are on sale: Solverlabs for $1 and Todd Grayson's for $2. So I bought both, following Inno's suggestion! And there is a big difference between the two apps. TG's app will allow you to set up and save several RDP connections, and you can actually switch back and forth between them. The Solverlabs app requires you to enter the IP/domain every time, which is painful if you are using an IP and specific port address. Since I use a DynDNS acct, it doesn't bother me so much. But others who don't use DynDNS, it is painful.

Solverlabs has no swipe down top menu, so you must close the app to disconnect - annoying. Splashtop used to be the same way until people complained loud enough and they released an update. TGs app does have a swipe down top menu, and you can disconnect without exiting the app.

Solverlabs graphics and selection are not very good. Some of the graphics redraw was bad, random characters left on the screen. TGs looked great, no random characters, easy selecting and moving. It is also very quick in response - even better than Splashtop.

Neither TG's or Solverlab's app allow cut and pasting of files from the RDP client. This is a bummer. I was really hoping that I could transfer files from the desktop machine to the PB/BB. But this isn't a feature in Splashtop either.

My suggestion for both TG and Solverlabs would be to incorporate the most recent Splashtop swipe down menu and window gestures. The combination of TG's app and Splashtop interface/gestures would be fantastic.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Rove Mobile Admin is free and works well. Does way more than RDP too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Remote Desktop for Playbook: Todd Grayson or SolverLabs?

can anyone help me? Trying to set up Remote Desktop (Solverlabs) and no matter what I do, I keep getting a connection refused message. I confirmed my TCP port is set correctly, I know remote connections are enabled on my remote pc, I enabled port forwarding on my router, and I even tried turning off firewall (even though firewall is configured to allow RDP). HELP!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Restarted Playbook and remote computer and it now works.
    CrackBerry Genius

Well, patience pays off. Both RDP apps are on sale: Solverlabs for $1 and Todd Grayson's for $2. So I bought both, following Inno's suggestion! And there is a big difference between the two apps. TG's app will allow you to set up and save several RDP connections, and you can actually switch back and forth between them. The Solverlabs app requires you to enter the IP/domain every time, which is painful if you are using an IP and specific port address. Since I use a DynDNS acct, it doesn't bother me so much. But others who don't use DynDNS, it is painful.

Solverlabs has no swipe down top menu, so you must close the app to disconnect - annoying. Splashtop used to be the same way until people complained loud enough and they released an update. TGs app does have a swipe down top menu, and you can disconnect without exiting the app.

Solverlabs graphics and selection are not very good. Some of the graphics redraw was bad, random characters left on the screen. TGs looked great, no random characters, easy selecting and moving. It is also very quick in response - even better than Splashtop.

Neither TG's or Solverlab's app allow cut and pasting of files from the RDP client. This is a bummer. I was really hoping that I could transfer files from the desktop machine to the PB/BB. But this isn't a feature in Splashtop either.

My suggestion for both TG and Solverlabs would be to incorporate the most recent Splashtop swipe down menu and window gestures. The combination of TG's app and Splashtop interface/gestures would be fantastic.
    Is it just me or you just do not know how to fully use it and you are already writing it off?
    Open it up, start streaming, and do a 3 finger tap. Do I see "disconnect"?

When connecting via IP the PB asks for the password just once, which sounds pretty much logical. But using my google account (meaning, on a different network.) it prompts me with a password box every single time. Using a google account unties you from IPs, too. And also, It automatically scans for all active computers running splashtop set up with it.
    And there is an autolock feature, plus, a ton other features, Including white screen, locking the computer when you are done, etc. on the computer client... which you can also manipulate using splashtop.

Im running 1.1.0.5

Oh, and for your file sharing issues, clould services are your friend here.
    CrackBerry User

I tried splashtop and I find it frustrating to have a shrunken down desktop shown on the tablet and all the special gestures required to run it. Are there any out there that give you more of a tablet interface to your desktop? That is, for example, instead of seeing a shrunken down desktop with the icons, your tablet takes all the desktop icons and just lists them simply in a scrolling list on your tablet? Or it gives you a simple scrolling list of all the programs in your desktop's start menu?