Hey guys, I remember reading how porting apps from android to bbx is very easy with the new tools Rim offers. When they say port over, does that mean it is ported over to work in the android player or ported over to work directly with bbx?
    11-23-11 04:50 PM
    can no one answer this question?
    11-23-11 11:35 PM
    Apparently no one wanted to. I don't see a difference in your choices though. The apps run inside the android "sandbox" that runs inside bbx. So in short.... the answer is yes. And yes it's very easy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 11:54 PM
    I'm asking if the Apps run on the actual BBX OS(without the android player) once ported OR you have to port them to work in the android player.
    11-24-11 10:13 AM
    I'm asking if the Apps run on the actual BBX OS(without the android player) once ported OR you have to port them to work in the android player.
    WITHOUT ANDROID PLAYER, android apps (.apk) converted to PlayBook apps (.bar) WILL NOT WORK
    11-24-11 10:28 AM
    WITHOUT ANDROID PLAYER, android apps (.apk) converted to PlayBook apps (.bar) WILL NOT WORK
    My buddy is running os1 and i was able to side load angry birds.
    11-24-11 10:54 AM
    The vietnamese version?
    11-24-11 11:00 AM
    The vietnamese version?
    I assume the dude with the funny accent on youtube is vietnamese lol
    11-24-11 11:26 AM
    think thats a flash application not a android apk, could be wrong though
    bounce007 and diegonei like this.
    11-24-11 04:37 PM
    My buddy is running os1 and i was able to side load angry birds.
    I run OS1 and yes I can side load Angry Birds as well... which is a FLASH APP not an android app. You cannot run androids apps on OS 1 as it does not contain the Android Player
    diegonei likes this.
    11-24-11 06:47 PM
    So people running 1.0 cant still sideload the android.sys file and run them through the emulator?

11-24-11 09:00 PM
    So people running 1.0 cant still sideload the android.sys file and run them through the emulator?

Oh my.

OS 1 users cannot (and should not) use Android period. In pre 1.0.7 releases - the Android player 'works' to an extent. However, when you upgrade later on - you will no longer be able to Backup your Playbook & you will need to wipe it to use Android apps in OS2. (read: You will lose everything to use OS2 properly later)

.. you know, because that 1.0 Android player was never meant to be used by users (edit: never released by RIM to the public). But people got it, and used it, and now they will complain about the experience.

So with that said OS 2 has native android run-time files built into the OS. To keep it simple, Android apps appear to run inside a 'virtual' android emulator on the PlayBook. However its not really a normal virtualized device because... you know the full run-time is installed direct into the PlayBook's OS.

What does that mean? Its not emulated or virtualized, but a runtime. This means:

- Faster
    - Smother
    - Natural Android experience

To an extent. Now, PB sandboxed it to keep it to what the user feels is an emulator. Because its easier to manage from a development standpoint.

Android apps are not very good outside of the sandbox because the PlayBook isn't an Android device, and some Android device options don't exist unless... you know its built into a sandbox.

So, without going too much into it. The experience is good for developers. It is good and getting better for users. And don't worry about it, just enjoy it

~ed
    11-24-11 09:50 PM
    So if i understand, all apps must be ported to be loaded in the emulator? or can any app be side loaded without porting?
    11-28-11 10:17 PM
    So if i understand, all apps must be ported to be loaded in the emulator? or can any app be side loaded without porting?
    Ok, here goes: there is no "emulator" as we're all used to it. The player is built into the OS, so android apps will show as any other, icons in the "home" screen.

Once launched, all apps will run in the sandbox. So far, that means a single window for all android apps. We already asked in Beta Zone about the possibility of having instances, where each android app would at least hqve it's own window.

So, no android player (which can't be seen or found since it is builtit), no android apps. They have to be set up (converted) to run into the playbook (and soon BBX), by making them into BAR files. After that, either side load them or download from AppWorld (when available that is).
    11-29-11 06:29 PM
    So my question is as follows. If porting it over is so easy, why wouldn't every developper with a droid app do it. I mean, seems to me like they are just increasing their client pool by an additional 70 million ppl with no additional work?

And if they port instead of writing a bbx app, why is that SO much worse?
    11-29-11 10:01 PM
    So my question is as follows. If porting it over is so easy, why wouldn't every developper with a droid app do it. I mean, seems to me like they are just increasing their client pool by an additional 70 million ppl with no additional work?

And if they port instead of writing a bbx app, why is that SO much worse?
    Not all android apps will work when 'ported' over to the PlayBook. There are certain restrictions which will prevent MANY android apps from working when 'ported over'.

Android apps that are 'ported' over are not written with the BlackBerry PlayBook's native developing kit (NDK) and won't be as 'powerful' as apps written using the PlayBook's NDK. It is not necessarily 'so much worse' as you say, to port over android apps, but they don't provide the kind of functionality that an app written with the PlaBook's NDK would.

Some people even think that allowing android apps to be 'ported' over to the PlayBook, allows for PlayBook users having 'paper weight' apps and hinder the development of the PlayBook, because they think developers would get lazy and not put enought time and effort into making proper apps for the PlayBook.

Hope this helps. Bed time for me now. Have a great night CrackBerry nation!
    11-29-11 10:50 PM
    almost every single Android developper is trying to port over their apps, but most apps crash or don't work properly and that's when it gets hard cause they have to figure out whats making it crash and that takes time.
    11-29-11 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD