Hello, I have a question for more advanced users/developers. Is there any possible way of knowing what SDK or IDE was used when making an app by diggning through the BAR file? For example, just for educational purposes is there any way I can look at a bar file and determine if it was created using AIR or C++ or HTML5? Thanks in advance for any help.
    01-11-13 10:25 AM
    Hello, I have a question for more advanced users/developers. Is there any possible way of knowing what SDK or IDE was used when making an app by diggning through the BAR file? For example, just for educational purposes is there any way I can look at a bar file and determine if it was created using AIR or C++ or HTML5? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Someone may correct me, but now that the apps are encoded to avoid piracy, I'm not sure if you can look into the "package."
    01-11-13 10:57 AM
    IF you have access to the .bar file, then yes. Look for a blackberry-tablet.xml or config.xml file for the entry point. You'll also see a .swf file for AIR, an .html file for WebWorks etc.
    01-11-13 01:18 PM
    Someone may correct me, but now that the apps are encoded to avoid piracy, I'm not sure if you can look into the "package."
    IF you have access to the .bar file, then yes. Look for a blackberry-tablet.xml or config.xml file for the entry point. You'll also see a .swf file for AIR, an .html file for WebWorks etc.
    Both these posts are correct, which effectively means you can't. Since 2.1 it's not possible to get access to a BAR installed on your PB, so you can't. But if you had the BAR (and I think there are still ways to get your hands on it if you know what you're doing...), then as Innovatology said, looking at those XML files should give some good hints.

EDIT: Just confirmed (by doing it) that it IS still possible to get your hands on the BAR if you know what you're doing (and by that I don't mean googling and downloading some pirated version). I won't post any more details here, as it would probably just be abused by someone wanting to grab BARs of paid apps and posting them online.

Is there a particular app you are curious about? (If so, and it's free or I have the app already, I could perhaps check it for you)
    Last edited by SifJar; 01-11-13 at 01:50 PM.
    01-11-13 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD