We all saw the demo (probably) from BBWorld, so it is possible to get it to work on the PB. Now that we have the NDK has anyone tried to port it :? even just a straight port without optimising the controls etc.
    11-04-11 01:54 PM
    We all saw the demo (probably) from BBWorld, so it is possible to get it to work on the PB. Now that we have the NDK has anyone tried to port it :? even just a straight port without optimising the controls etc.
    wasn't it ported into the browser?
    I remember seeing that but I thought they were just using it to demonstrate the graphics

I could be dreaming of course.
    11-04-11 07:21 PM
    i think there are copyright issues with porting quake over.
    11-04-11 09:49 PM
    Native port with custom controls if I recall.
    11-04-11 11:02 PM
    It will forever be a demo as an example of how to port things to QNX.

Only the game engine is open source --- the graphics, the characters, the music, the sound effects are all under proprietary license.
    11-04-11 11:28 PM
    even if we came across the bar file, it would probably not run on any post-1.0.0 installs due to API incompatibilities.

actually, it occurs to me that I recall seeing a post several months ago by someone who acquired pre-launch playbook hardware through a "friend of a friend". I think the poster indicated that the quake demo was on it. could probably suck the app off of it given the right tools.
    Last edited by FourOhFour; 11-04-11 at 11:46 PM.
    11-04-11 11:43 PM
    should be possible,
    the browser version is called quake live and there should be no copyright problem the quake3 source code is free to public since a couple of years now
    11-05-11 06:57 PM
    I read licensing was an issue and that is the reason it wasn't released. You would think they could run that Free Quake Arena game though on it if possible. I did read the other day that the Doom3 game engine is about to be OpenSourced.
    11-05-11 07:39 PM
    I read licensing was an issue and that is the reason it wasn't released. You would think they could run that Free Quake Arena game though on it if possible. I did read the other day that the Doom3 game engine is about to be OpenSourced.
    Again so what if the doom3 game engine may be ready for open source, that doesn't mean you can do anything with the game itself --- when the characters, the art work, the music, the sound effects are all covered by proprietary licenses.
    11-06-11 11:41 PM
    Right, that why the DOOM game in App World only has the first episode because it came as shareware and is freely distributable, the full game is not.
    11-07-11 07:04 AM
    What RIM should do is go to id software (or Activision or whoever has the rights) and say hey we already have this game working on the Playbook why don't you guys let us help you put the full version in Appworld for $9.99 a pop and make some more money off this game that you are probably making nothing on at the moment. Tell them it will work on the newer phones scheduled to come out next year too and that will be a bigger segment. I can't imagine a company saying no to revenue off of something they are probably getting nothing off of right now like an old game.
    11-07-11 08:59 AM
    What RIM should do is go to id software (or Activision or whoever has the rights) and say hey we already have this game working on the Playbook why don't you guys let us help you put the full version in Appworld for $9.99 a pop and make some more money off this game that you are probably making nothing on at the moment. Tell them it will work on the newer phones scheduled to come out next year too and that will be a bigger segment. I can't imagine a company saying no to revenue off of something they are probably getting nothing off of right now like an old game.
    RIM has better things to do than bring a 10 year old Quake III game to the Playbook.

RIM is helping to port game engines to the QNX platform. Once you finish porting the game engine --- you are essentially helping to bring hundreds of games onto the platform.

You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. You teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a whole life.
    11-07-11 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD